Any reason NOT to buy a Stax Omega?
Oct 24, 2004 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

MoodyDragon

Head-Fier
Hi. I would be grateful if you can point out the negatives of buying a Stax Omega..... I do know all the positive aspects.. been reading everyones opinions, so it is the negative opinions FROM FOLKS WHO HAVE AUDITIONED this headphone extensively, that I would be very grateful to hear from.

I intend to pair it with a headamp with cross feed (I like having that option), and possibly a Sony XA777ES or a Pioneer DV563A modded player.

Would be grateful for your opinions if you have had exposure to this headphone. Thanks in advance!

Amit

Oct 24, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 20
R-10 and Qualia.....LOL....

Oct 24, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodyDragon
I intend to pair it with a headamp with cross feed (I like having that option), and possibly a Sony XA777ES or a Pioneer DV563A modded player.

If the crossfeed can not be turned OFF, then stay away from the Omegas and other Stax headphones. Crossfeed will completely collapse the soundstage and may also introduce weird colourations to the sound. They sound horrible with crossfeed.

Negatives, given the kind of sound I prefer (see sig), they don't quite do it for me. While detail, clarity, and soundstage are all outstanding, they don't quite groove & rock out. Given my priorities, they're not my cup of tea.

Oct 24, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 20
are you talking about the SR-Omega or the SR-007 (Omega II)?

Oct 24, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
are you talking about the SR-Omega or the SR-007 (Omega II)?

Sr-007 Not that I knew about the SR-Omega. New to this.....
eggosmile.gif

Oct 24, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 20
There are many issues to consider regarding electrostatic headphones and Stax in particular. You may not be happy with the type of bass it produces; it's not lean but it's quite different than any dynamic headphone in this regard. Also, there are issues concerning the costly/time-consuming repairs regarding Stax headphones. The SR-404 is also an excellent alternative to the Omega II and is much cheaper (around $300-400 used). The earpads are more expensive than the average headphone, at $75 a pair (they are leather, however). Electrostatics like the Omega II (SR-007) require special amps that only work with other electrostatics (you're not gonna plug your buddy's HD600 into the amp) and usually the amps are more expensive. The SRM-313 is a good budget amp for the SR-404 and Omega II, but it only gets more costly from there. Many members find that the $1500 KGSS and $2500 WEEBL produce the best results, and I've heard the Omega II/WEEBL combination several times and it has been stunning each time (more so than the SRM-717 and SRM-007t IMO). Every time I hear the Omega II its presentation and sound grows on me, but I still favor the sound of dynamic headphones thus far (I have yet to hear the HE90 Orpheus, and I'll reserve my judgment regarding electrostats until someone lends me their Orpheus for a month...
wink.gif
) I must confess that ayt999’s P300->Accuphase DP-85->WEEBL->Omega II produced the best version of Dire Strait’s “Money for Nothing” I’ve ever heard – that system is my benchmark for that song.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 20
It's the best value imo in the 1000+ price range, but I prefer the mdr-r10 and 010 to it.
The 007 is very detailed , very fast, large soundstage but the bass is kinda wierd imo and it's a little to cold (although that may of just been the amp). Something about the oII just didn't work for me, possibley the "fake-ish" sound it creates. Also I don't enjoy the whole "charging up" you have to deal with nor the ugly looks.

But basically besides the r10, 010 and the orpheus, you really can't get better and even those 3 are not really "better", it's just dependent on your taste.

Oct 25, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 20
unless you want to spend that much cash on a headphone i'd say go with the stax 404s first. they are probably 90% of the omegas and far cheaper. if you find that you like them the resale on them will be good and then you can step up to the next level if you want. also they are very source dependant, so if you're not willing to spend some good cash on a good source you better think about something else.

Oct 25, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 20
Just a question I was wondering about: (not planning to buy sr-404s for a LONG TIME lol) What budget (around $1000) source would be good with the sr-404s?

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 20
The Omegas seem to hardly ever sound right at meets. It seems anytime you unplug them, or turn the amp off that they take forever to come back up to speed. When they're working they are truly awesome though. If you're not the kind of guy to leave them powered up all the time, you might want to look elsewhere as some other phones (R-10, fancy sennhesiers, HP-1000) come close in sound. It's also harder to mess around with different amplifiers as the electrostatic amp market is limited.

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 20
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the famous Stax "fart". To me that is the most annoying feature.

Search for the term, you'll find lots of discussion about this.

Oct 25, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 20
If you don't keep putting your hands near the phone there is no sign of the 'fart'. It's not a factor in daily use. However, eating while listening is probably not a good idea.

The weird bass is something that's mentioned often, and I do concur. The 007 hits pretty hard with lots of speed, but the low end decay is faster than most dynamics, leading to a 'huh?' bass. But interestingly by EQing some bloom in the mid-bass, you can get rid of this feeling.

What else am I not happy about... oh yes, inconsistent sound. Depending on how it's on your ear and presumably according to some environmental conditions (I have no idea if this really is the case), the sound can be great some days and not so great on others. I have not worked out why this is, but it is annoying. Most days it is great. I can't put this down to psychological factors because other phones sound the same to me whatever my mood.

I remain unconvinced about the SRM-007t amp to drive the 007. The more I hear it, the more I hear tube amp characteristics which were (on the other tube amps I've had/tried) always indicators that the amp was holding back the phones. The KGSS or an SRM-717 with a high-end studio EQ may be the way to go, and this is something I'm seriously considering at the moment.

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #14 of 20
Stax 'fart' eh? Now that sounds not very appetising!
blink.gif
Thanks for the info... this thread shows how much more I need to know before I make a serious investment.... Since I moved to this very fancy apartment complex, what with Steelers and Pirates and Penguins as neighbours, I have to be very careful about my music playing... getting thrown out is just a few decibels away, if the neighbours complain.... Hence this new found passion into headphones.

You guys are the best, by the way. Very congenial atmosphere......

Oct 25, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodyDragon
Hi. I would be grateful if you can point out the negatives of buying a Stax Omega..... I do know all the positive aspects.. been reading everyones opinions, so it is the negative opinions FROM FOLKS WHO HAVE AUDITIONED this headphone extensively, that I would be very grateful to hear from.

Would be grateful for your opinions if you have had exposure to this headphone. Thanks in advance!

Amit

Here are some of my reasons for not purchasing the Omega:

1) Dry, uninvolving sound quality
2) Earpads are like suction cups. I find them very uncomfortable
3) Cost - The thing costs a LOT of money and needs really expensive stuff to compliment it (although I did find that even with some of the best sources, the sound is still dry)

Alas, you pays your monies, you takes your chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back