Any reason for me not to buy the Little Dot I+ ?
Jan 31, 2010 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Pariah1

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all.

I bought a pair of Grado 225i's a few months back and love them (and thanks to everyone for the recommendations/advice
smily_headphones1.gif
). I'm currently using a AV123 X-Head amp with them which is my first dedicated can amp, and while I think it is good, I know I have nothing to compare it to (besides headphone outs on receivers/integrated amps which it does surpass) and overall the sound is a little "thin" or "dry".

So I want to try a hybrid amp to get away from SS and see if I like the tube sound at all and see if it rounds out the sound a little (more bass would be nice too). And since I don't want to spend more than $200 and more like $150 and the Little Dot 1 + is supposed to match very well with Grados, is there any reason for me to consider any other amp either new or used?

So far, for other budget hybrids that might match well with Grados, I've only found the Starving Student Mini Millet and Head-Direct EF2. Any others to look at? Or is the Little Dot 1+ a no brainer for me?

Thanks for any input!

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 33
Hi -- I'm in the same boat you are... just got a pair of Grado's (325i), and am looking at the LD I+. I have seen SO many good reviews of that combo. For me, there's an added complication of multiple sources going to the same headamp, so I needed a switch too. After looking around, I ran into MapleTree audio, and started looking at the Ear+ HD as well (Dr. Lloyd could build a switch into it). I don't know how flexible your budget is, but apparently it's an amazing match for Grado's, albeit $400 more...
Does anyone out there have experience with Grado's and the two amps above?

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 33
Thanks for your input, but as stated in my original post I'd like to keep it under $200 and more like around $150 (I'm actually satisfied with my X-Head which doesn't have any great following, so I figure another budget amp that does will be all I need). So that and the good synergy with Grados makes the Little Dot 1+ attractive.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #7 of 33
I can only comment on the LD MKIV SE which works very well with Grados.
For me LD products are excellent value for money, David provides first class service.
You might also want to visit their forums for more info.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 33
Little Dots sync together pretty well. They're like Senns and Woos. I have tried the combo at a few meets, the bass the little dots brought out were quite enjoyable for me, but experience over a longterm process i can't say i can give any input for that certain area. I do hear about little dots quit frequently, obviously they do not disappoint.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 33
JeepnHeal, I got a MAD Ear+ HD but no Grado's. Should have HF-2 in a few weeks, almost got the cash for them and will do an extensive review on them. Anyway, the MAD Ear+ HD is supposedly the 2nd best amp for Grado's, next to the SinglePower PPX3 SLam (or is that MPX3?). But those are more expensive and their reliability is not there at all. One blew up actually, is here on head fi somewhere, that thread.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #10 of 33
Thanks for the more input all; I can't believe no one has mentioned a different amp for my needs---but that tells me that there's probably no reason to worry about others!

What about the Little Dot MK II for $50 more? Or is that a straight tube and not a hybrid? (Sorry I'm not the best with tech specs on electronics...I think it is just straight tube).

Also is there any place to buy these besides Audiophilechina? Ebay? (I'm in the US so I guess there is no reason to look at the Canada or Australia sellers unless somehow their shipping is cheaper, and looking at them I can't even find the Little Dot 1+ anyway).

I'm going to check out the Little Dot forums too; I didn't even know they had any, thanks!

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 33
Feb 1, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #12 of 33
I can give you a very good reason *not* to buy a little dot 1+ based on a bad experience I've had with the company.

Being somewhat new to the concept of inexpensive Chinese-manufactured headphone amplifiers, I was pleasantly surprised to see the wide variety of units available. Based on great information from these forums, I narrowed a list down to a few amps, including the Little dot 1+. I chose this amp specifically because I wanted a unit that would drive low impedance AKG K701 headphones.

Finding a place to buy the unit from was problematic. I eventually found my way to suppliers selling the amp on eBay. I did this because I have never ordered directly from any Chinese suppliers and figured that the eBay / PayPal route would at least give me some security.

I ordered a unit from one supplier in Hong Kong. Two weeks after paying for the amp I got a message from the supplier stating that he didn't have any in stock! He refunded my $ via PayPal.

I then proceeded to order another unit from another supplier, and it arrived configured for 240V instead of 120V - the North American standard. I've sent a message to the supplier; no response yet.

In my travel through these forums, I had heard that the owner ?designer of Little Dot was a good fellow who supported the products that he sells. After digging through the forums I contacted "David" by email and asked him if there was an easy way to reconfigure the amp for 120V. I did this because pulling the transformer cover off is moderately more involved than just removing the bottom plate and I didn't want to go through all the effort if there wasn't an easy way of doing this; i.e. no tap on the primary side of the transformer to accept a 120V input.

The owner got back to me and politely told me to stuff it; he wasn't going to give me an ounce of help if the amp wasn't purchased through an "authorized distributor". He wouldn't even make the effort to answer "yes" or "no" to the above question. BTW, at this point he did not even know whom I had bought the amp from. After responding with the names of the two eBay sellers he told me that they were "unauthorized".

Now, there's no doubt that I received the amp from China in an authorized, unopened factory package. This amplifier was obviously made in the same factory that supplies "authorized distributors" with Little dot units and even came with what looked like a warranty card (in Chinese, of course). It was produced by Little dot, plain and simple. So there's obviously a situation here where Little dot amplifiers are sent to many people in China for distribution, likely with full knowledge of the factory, but only certain people in China / Hong Kong are "authorized" distributors. If an amplifier goes to someone in China who isn't "authorized" to sell it, tough luck for the customer - even though I'm sure that Little Dot is profiting from the manufacture of said amp.

I've been in DIY audio for a long time, having started to build amps in the 1970's from "Audio Amateur" magazine articles. I've always found the DIY audio community to be wonderfully helpful. My experience with boutique amp builders has been similar - the people who started Sonic Frontiers in Toronto have helped me through schematics in the early days even when they weren't directly profiting from that activity. Obviously as a manufacturer gets larger, it's difficult to do this.

Still, the owner /?designer of this little dot amplifier would rather spend 5 minutes telling me why he's not going to help me a bit, instead of the 5 seconds it takes to be helpful and answer yes or no. I'm sure he will claim that his "authorized distributors" will get mad if he does this. Quite frankly, I doubt if these distributors would really take offense to someone telling a customer whether or not a little dot amp is reconfigurable between 220V and 120V; most of these people are quite helpful and genuinely care about their customers. I have to say that even though the content of his messages were far from helpful, he was always very polite.

BTW, if anyone out there can answer this question I'd really appreciate it!

many thanks!

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #13 of 33
I am very surprised, I have bought my LD MK IV SE from another Head-Fier, I have contacted David, told him that I am not his customer, asked him many questions a few times and he answered straight away!

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #14 of 33
Of course, as soon as I stop searching the FS ads something like that comes up...

Looks like a good deal, however I am wary about when someone alters things themselves on electronics. I know it's probably a simple process and upgrades the component, but I don't even know what the difference would be in the OPAMPS and if I'd like the stock version better or not. Also, according to the text and pics on the Audiophilechina site, the Little Dot 1+ comes with WE408A tubes so how is that an upgrade?

I should probably just let that go to someone who needs a deal more and knows what they are getting!

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #15 of 33
@rosgr63 - I am very surprised too, since I've seen several other posts similar to yours about David helping customers. I have to admit that's one of the reasons why I chose the LD 1+ in the first place - it's awesome when a manufacturer gives that level of support. Why he won't help me is anyone's guess; even though the LD 1+ is less expensive than the MK IV SE, in my experience when someone is helpful with one product in their lineup, they're helpful with all of them. What even deepens the mystery more is the tiny amount of information I've requested from him; it's not like I want an electronics tutorial, I just want to know if there's an available tap on the transformer for 120V!

BTW, I've never dealt with him before so there's no "history" involved. I'm pretty new to the Chinese amp scene. It's exciting but this has put a damper on the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back