any problems with REFURBISHED headphones (hd595)?
Sep 23, 2005 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

theyeti

New Head-Fier
A major american technology website newegg.com is currently selling the senn HD595's at a REFURBISHED price of $179.25.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16826106390R
Seeing as they usually sell around $250 it sounds like a good deal. They are the 120 Ohm version and im really tempted to buy these cans.

My question is what can the disadvantages be of buying refurbished or already used cans like the HD595's? Should I go for it?
confused.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 31
That's a good question. There are always pairs of HD600's on eBay for $219.98 which are "Refurbished to new condition with warranty". (You have to read the fine print to find that line, BTW.) I wonder if anyone has bought these and how they turned out.

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 31
imho do NOT BUY REFURB on newegg! they burned me BAD with a refurb cordless usb infrared logitech mouse - the stupid thing didn't even come with the battery plates, i was using tin foil in there and it was such a bad connection i was draining AAs every 3 days! i eventually had to get another one, new, from J&R and haven't had any problems since. that newegg mouse is so crappy, it's just sitting unsellable in my toolbin.

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 31
THe HD 595 was $189.99 brand new last week at J&R Music World. Click for them to email you the special price.

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 31
I've built 3 complete computers from Newegg refurbs and has many Video cards from there as refurbs and only had 4 problems that were fixed by simply sending the item back for replacement.

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 31
Heres something stupid (IMHO) to consider...

I think the refurb Senns dont come in the factory box / package materials??? I think they come in a plain unmarked zip lock bag. (someone please correct me).

Stupid IMHO... but there are many on the forum who place high value in the shipping carton.... and are willing to pay extra $$$ for it.

May be something for you to consider.

Garrett

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 31
I don't really know what their version of "referb" means, but I can tell you from working at best buy that "referb" should be a clear indication of DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT UNLESS YOU WANT TO HAVE A LOT OF PAIN AND HASSLE. While we would all hope that these things really undergo a "quality" inspection, in reality, they really don't. The people that are doing these inspections are paid minimum wage or maybe a little better and quite frankly care very little about whether the product will work to perfect satisfaction or not. While they will "work" for the average consumer, Head-fiers are a little more than the average consumer, so flaws that they might not detect will bug us forever.

For example, when I worked at the customer service department at best buy, one of the customers returned a dvd player saying that the component out was not working. Because dvd players are returned so frequently, we were told to immediately "inspect" it to see if anything was wrong. The box only comes with a composite out cable, and thus, since this is all the box supplies, this is the only output we would test to make sure the unit is "working". Since it worked, the "inspected" item was put back on the shelves for open box value. Since most consumers don't even know about component output, this dvd player would work fine and thus for them they'd see no difference. Any person with a home theater system who would go and buy this item however would be tearing out his hair and returning this crappy item.

While in store returns are possible with best buy, online returns are such a pain and cost money due to shipping; you might even end up spending the amount that a new pair of headphones would have cost you all together, and you'll still end up getting the referb item back. In my eyes, it's just not worth the pain to save a fraction of the price for a possibility of this much hassle.

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 31
I just received my NEW pair of 595's from Amazon today. They are $199.95, but I opened an Amazon visa and got another $30 off = 169.95 + 10.97 for 2nd day shipping.

They sound REALLY good out of the box. Can't wait to get my cat-chewed SR325's back from repair to give them a good comparison.

Sep 23, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by theyeti
A major american technology website newegg.com is currently selling the senn HD595's at a REFURBISHED price of $179.25.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16826106390R
Seeing as they usually sell around $250 it sounds like a good deal. They are the 120 Ohm version and im really tempted to buy these cans.

My question is what can the disadvantages be of buying refurbished or already used cans like the HD595's? Should I go for it?
confused.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Sennhe...QQcmdZViewItem

Nah...you can get this guy here new.

Sep 23, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 31
I bought my refurbished hd600s from Audio Advisor a couple of months ago and have had no problems at all.And they came in the original box with all of the paperwork.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back