Any previous ATH-CK7 owners here?
Jan 3, 2008 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

alphataru

New Head-Fier
I'm curious as to what you guys upgraded to. I'm currently using CK7, however, the treble makes it harsh to listen to sometimes. Therefore, I'm thinking about upgrading. I'm wondering which IME I should upgrade to that would give the most significant sonic improvement over CK7.

From my research on this forum, I've narrowed the choices down to SE530, Super fi 5 pro, Q-jays, and Livewires. However, I'm not sure which one will provide the most noticable improvements over CK7.
confused.gif

Btw, I listen mostly to Jpop, techno, hip-hop, rock, and game OST.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Jan 3, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 7
The hard thing about armature-driven IEMs is that they'll almost always have some amount of sibilance, though I'm unsure of the CK7's level as I've never personally heard them (though a friend of mine was very happy of my suggestion, based on reviews and comparisons).

SE530s no doubt will sound amazing, though the UEs and Q-jays may be a bit too lean-sounding of the bunch. I'm hearing mixed stuff about the livewires, so I won't comment on them.

What kind of sound do you prefer? For phones tight enough for pop-music I find that it's nigh impossible to escape sibilance unless you go for something a bit mellow on the high-end (like the atrio m5). While it's hard to say if it's an improvement, a change in sound might be to your liking.

Mylarone Xbi's, atrio m5s, and denon c700 seem to be likable models under $200 each...if isolation isn't your prerogative, the denons are going for $99 on amazon.com, half the retail cost, for sound that easily competes with higher-end models (like the se530, though that's totally debatable as our ears are all different).

Jan 3, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 7
If you really liked the sound sig of the CK7, as I did, then from what I've read the q-JAYS might be for you. I've got a pair on the way and will try to leave some impressions when I get them.

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 7
Hmm. I upgraded to Livewires. Much much better isolation and sound.

I listen to Rock (many types), Metal(many types), Electronic, Pop.

(sorry, that's the limit of my ability to describe it. XD)

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the response, guys.

Personally, I enjoy my base, so according to my research, SE530 might be a good choice. However, I've been shy about Shure IMEs ever since I first got a pair of E2C. The quality of the cable is so terrible, especially the cable memory, it makes me not want to own another pair of Shure.

I'm pretty interested in Livewires, since I've never owned any customs before, and the idea is intriguing. However, I've heard of conflicting reports on the sound quality.

Please give some comparisons between your current IME and CK7 to help me make my decision
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back