Any precious metal investors around here?
Jan 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #16 of 118
Anyone see Global Technologies, Ltd (GTLL)? Up 1,200%. I wish I could time travel.

I think I want to invest in penny stocks now...

Edit:
Looking at Jones Soda and Pacific Ethanol. Hmm...

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #17 of 118

Quote:
Anyone see Global Technologies, Ltd (GTLL)? Up 1,200%. I wish I could time travel.

I think I want to invest in penny stocks now...

Edit:
Looking at Jones Soda and Pacific Ethanol. Hmm...

I remember when I first started investing in the stock market I was going to put $5,000 in a stock I have been looking at, but didn't after investing in something else first.  Within the next 2 weeks that stock was up 2,600%
eek.gif

I nearly doubled by initial investment amount my first year though, so can't really complain all that much.  Ok, who am I kidding *weeps*

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #18 of 118
Cash's value is getting worth less and less every day.  Whether you are investing in silver, gold, or oil, those things actually have intrinsic value.  There is no precious metal bubble.  That makes no sense.  I would like to invest in silver but I have bills and feeding myself to worry about right now.  I would definitely not invest in metals in the way that you get a certificate saying some company is holding the metal for you.  Because they are not.  All of those places do not actually have the metal to back up what is purchased, therefore you LOSE.

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #19 of 118
Yeah, I don't think silver is on a bubble. I see it maybe going down to mid to low twenties for a while but it'll be back up. There are emerging technologies that are using more and more silver. Water purification, batteries, new surgical uses, solar panels, just to name a few. Long term I think it has a good outlook. By long term I'm talking 5 years and over. Who knows though? I just put my money where I'm comfortable and don't keep all my eggs in one basket.  

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #20 of 118
I don't see silver staying so low for so long.  You think when they want gold to go to $10k an ounce that silver is going to even stay at $30?  Silver should be at nearly $100 an ounce about now to keep up with gold.  Something is keeping silver down, and it can't stay that way for too long (1:16).

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #21 of 118
I think silver is in the middle of a bubble BUT if countries and economies keep getting themselves in trouble then the bubbles will be shielded from bursting

It is a bubble. Production is crazy, as is demand. Once the demand drops, silver and gold are in trouble. But I doubt this is going to happen because like I said economies cannot continue down their merry little way without addressing the issue of debt.
Of course silver has practical use, but not in these quantities. Not as bullion.

Gold is a $1,370 an oz right about now, not $10,000. Yes the gold/silver ratio is a little high but that doesn't give any reason for silver to rise. 

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #22 of 118

[size=medium]
Someone is pumping money into somewhere to keep silver low.  Understand that.  Gas prices should be a lot higher, but they aren't because someone is eating the cost.  The ratio is 3x what it normally is, not just "a little high."  All of history is the reason the ratio will start getting back towards 1:16...  No one understands that the world is completely bankrupt.  No S I know gold almost $1,400 an ounce now, but it WILL hit $10k when currencies start actually collapsing.  Many countries owing trillions of dollars every year is unsustainable.  Printing off more and more money all the time is moronic, and a nicely crafted suicide.  Keep saying these things.  People years ago didn't think gold would go over $400 an ounce, then they doubted $800, and now they are doubting even $2000.  What fools.  Everything is screwed.  People who invest any kind of fiat into stocks and bonds anymore are total idiots.  It only makes sense to do so after everything collapses and starts to recover, but you'll need to be super rich to do that and feed yourself at the same time because money will be worth nothing.  A little bag of seeds is going to be worth more than any precious metal soon enough.
[/size]

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #24 of 118

Quote:

Someone is pumping money into somewhere to keep silver low.  Understand that.  Gas prices should be a lot higher, but they aren't because someone is eating the cost.  The ratio is 3x what it normally is, not just "a little high."  All of history is the reason the ratio will start getting back towards 1:16...  No one understands that the world is completely bankrupt.  No S I know gold almost $1,400 an ounce now, but it WILL hit $10k when currencies start actually collapsing.  Many countries owing trillions of dollars every year is unsustainable.  Printing off more and more money all the time is moronic, and a nicely crafted suicide.  Keep saying these things.  People years ago didn't think gold would go over $400 an ounce, then they doubted $800, and now they are doubting even $2000.  What fools.  Everything is screwed.  People who invest any kind of fiat into stocks and bonds anymore are total idiots.  It only makes sense to do so after everything collapses and starts to recover, but you'll need to be super rich to do that and feed yourself at the same time because money will be worth nothing.  A little bag of seeds is going to be worth more than any precious metal soon enough.

I really dig your pessimism.

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 118
It's not pessimism, it's common sense and not listening to mainstream media.  With those jerk-offs there are multiple reports every day, some saying the economy is getting better, some saying it's dying.  It's a circus.  Why do you think our gov't and other ones around the world keep printing money?  Because they have none to spend!  The world is in debt quadrillions of dollars from over the years.  It can NEVER be paid back.  It would take centuries to pay back taking 100% of the entire world's workforce's income.  That will never happen.  The US dollar has already been dropped by Russia and China for trade between those two.  As more and more places ditch the US dollar the more worthless it will get.  Prices for commodities will start being set in other currencies and then we will have to buy those currencies to get commodities instead of previously being the only country in the world to be able to buy things for so cheap because the prices were in our own currency.  Every other place in the world has to buy US dollars from us first before they can buy any resource.

I will soon start looking at buying food and seeds to hoard.  Silver and gold will mean nothing when everything collapses.  Why would someone buy silver and gold when they are starving because the dollars they earn at work are now worth nothing and their savings are gone?  A lot of these places that are places like APMEX that buy metals are even saying now "get stuff while you can before we stop accepting cash for it."  You really think they are going to then turn around and buy back metal that is now worth 10x as much because the paper money isn't worth squat?

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #26 of 118

Quote:
It's not pessimism, it's common sense and not listening to mainstream media.  With those jerk-offs there are multiple reports every day, some saying the economy is getting better, some saying it's dying.  It's a circus.  Why do you think our gov't and other ones around the world keep printing money?  Because they have none to spend!  The world is in debt quadrillions of dollars from over the years.  It can NEVER be paid back.  It would take centuries to pay back taking 100% of the entire world's workforce's income.  That will never happen.  The US dollar has already been dropped by Russia and China for trade between those two.  As more and more places ditch the US dollar the more worthless it will get.  Prices for commodities will start being set in other currencies and then we will have to buy those currencies to get commodities instead of previously being the only country in the world to be able to buy things for so cheap because the prices were in our own currency.  Every other place in the world has to buy US dollars from us first before they can buy any resource.

I will soon start looking at buying food and seeds to hoard.  Silver and gold will mean nothing when everything collapses.  Why would someone buy silver and gold when they are starving because the dollars they earn at work are now worth nothing and their savings are gone?  A lot of these places that are places like APMEX that buy metals are even saying now "get stuff while you can before we stop accepting cash for it."  You really think they are going to then turn around and buy back metal that is now worth 10x as much because the paper money isn't worth squat?

Here's the definition of pessimism, for your viewing pleasure.

Quote:
Pessimism, from the Latin pessimus (worst), is a state of mind in which one perceives life negatively.

Jan 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #27 of 118
Just because I can see signs of the world collapsing doesn't mean I'm a pessimist.  I am a pessimist but the world's events that unfold have nothing to do with me being a pessimist.  Optimists are clouded by positive hippie crap.

Jan 13, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #28 of 118

Quote:
Cash's value is getting worth less and less every day.  Whether you are investing in silver, gold, or oil, those things actually have intrinsic value.  There is no precious metal bubble.  That makes no sense.  I would like to invest in silver but I have bills and feeding myself to worry about right now.  I would definitely not invest in metals in the way that you get a certificate saying some company is holding the metal for you.  Because they are not.  All of those places do not actually have the metal to back up what is purchased, therefore you LOSE.

Say wha? The commodity price on things like silver, gold and oil is based upon demand for product and speculation on futures of the product. Right now, there is a lot of demand for gold and silver bullion and speculation of the future says that they will both continue trending up for the time-being, but at the rate that they have been rising lately (especially gold), there will be a sharp drop in the spot price of gold coming in the future. Not saying that gold will drop from its current spot ($1374.32 at this moment) drastically down to $300-400, but expect to see a triple figure drop coming in the future. Silver, on the other hand, has been steadily building up over the years and likely won't be hit quite as hard as gold will be

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #29 of 118
The price is also based on what currency is worth.  Gold and silver aren't really supply and demand (they're not goods), they're currency-backers.  With every currency (fiat) in the world getting worthless by the day gold or silver are not going to do anything but keep going up and up.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #30 of 118
Gold and Silver haven't been currency backers in a long time. Almost all money (domestic and international) is no longer backed by bullion of any sort. The concept of paper money was always based on faith - turn your gold over to the proper authority and receive a promissory note in exchange that could be exchanged in the future for the same value of gold. Yes, the original circumstance was that every dollar in circulation was backed by an equivalent amount of gold, but that is no longer the case. I'm also pretty sure that there isn't enough printed currency out in circulation to account for all the digital wealth that gets transferred around the world on a day to day basis. The primary reasons that gold prices have risen so high in the years are:

1). Dollar has weakened with respect to other currency - Because the value of the dollar has gone down, so too has its purchasing power. You now need more dollars to purchase the same amount of something as you needed 10, 15, 20 years ago.

2). Faith in the dollar has diminished. Almost all currency world wide is based on faith. People lose faith entirely in a particular currency, and the currency will no longer be worth anything. Because of the current lack of faith in the dollar, people who wish to hedge their bets are buying what gold they can. This has a couple of effects. First is, if you are purchasing tangible gold and silver (not certificates, but the real McCoy in your hand), every ounce that is purchased is an ounce less available on the market for other consumers to purchase. This then raises the price of available metal, and at the same time, will increase the value of every stockpiled piece of metal as well. This also increases speculation about the futures of gold. Since everyone is investing in gold, everyone is also speculating on the future of gold. As long as speculation remains promising, gold continues to be popular and continues to rise in price. However, as the economy improves and the spending power of a currency improves, people begin to retain lost faith in the currency, People who were stockpiling gold and silver before may stop altogether, slow down their rate of purchase or start liquidating their stockpiles to obtain larger quantities or stronger currency. The result of this is prices of real gold and silver will drop. What the drops in prices will be isn't something that can be determined right now, but it will occur. The best reason to hold onto metal is because it is essentially international hard currency. If I live in one nation and the currency of that nation flat of fails along with the economy, If my money was all invested in gold and silver, in theory, I can move right over to another country with a stronger currency and liquidate my hard metals for paper/digital currency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back