Any Porsche owners here?
Apr 3, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #31 of 41
Never having driven a Porsche (duh), I can't comment much. I know the 930 (70s) series were really tail happy. THe 964 (80s) improved a bit, and then the 993 (90s) even more. And from what I've heard the 996 (current) is practically impossible to get out of control.

You know, the VW SuperBeetle can be turned into a full blown racing machine. Enough so to beat a 911 Carrera RS. How does 0-100 KMH (62 MPH) in 4.5 seconds sound? Now, myself, I'm going to opt for a Wankel (hehe...) powered Karmann Ghia, once I ever get some funds. Karmanns are much lower to the ground than a Beetle, and handle a ton better. Plus, IMO, they look like a cross between the 550 Spyder and the 914, which can't be a bad thing
biggrin.gif

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #32 of 41
I checked out those Karmann Ghia's and they are pretty stylish looking cars.

I have to admit that until now, I had never head of this car, but im impressed!

Here's a link to some pictures I found.

V67BlackWVO466G.jpg

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #33 of 41
Nice link, Dan. I was trying to find a page just tonight for a friend on IM, and eventually just gave him a Google Image Search page. Worked well enough, but that's much better.

And yeah, they're awesome cars. So beautiful. So classic. Guaranteed to earn you the ridicule of all the stupid wanna-be ricers out there, and the respect of anyone who knows cars. Plus, who expects something like that to be fast?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:35 AM Post #34 of 41
naz interesting input of yours here (btw there is no such thing as Porsche 944 S4 only S and S2)

I really want to drive one SC sometime. I think that there could be some solution to impove the brakes (and wont cost a fortune).

The gear box I know is not magic too. The bad thing about these cars is that usually their engines are really worn out.

993s are beauties too but cost probably doulbe the amount of an SC. Too expensive!

You say that you couldnt live with the porsche as an everyday car. But could you live with ANY sports car (2 seats etc) as an everyday car?

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:55 AM Post #35 of 41
Sorry I always keep mixing up the names (that was probably for the 928, you can tell I'm not a hardcore Porsche enthusiast). S2 is what I meant.

Incidently, my brother's SC was bought used not so long ago & it had to be overhauled anyway. Prior to that it sounded somewhat like a truck!

A BMW M3 coupe is a good contender for a daily driver. Not to mention Mazda RX-7, Toyota Supra etc although I'll admit they don't carry the same cachet as a 911.

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #36 of 41
Dunno how long this will be up, but it's just beautiful. I would kill for this car. Look at the detail in the paint. And a 2180cc... mmm. That'd suit me just fine until Mr. Wankel found his way back there. (again, mods, a Wankel is an engine. Stop laughing) Only thing wrong with it is the Hurst shifter. I hate Hursts, at least on a car like this. Also, the color isn't quite my style, but I can't deny the awesome job he did on the paint job.

The upside to all of this is my dad's a Ghia fanatic as well, so there's a good chance I'll get one. That would just be scwheet. Doubt mine'll look like that, though
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #37 of 41
“And from what I've heard the 996 (current) is practically impossible to get out of control.”

You wanna bet?
smily_headphones1.gif
The 911s even today are real dangerous cars to drive. You can have the car spinning in no-time. Especially with the GT-2 ..

The 944 S2 is a great car and if you can get a 1991 Zuffenhausen model you will get ABS, airbags etc and the monstrous 3L 4-cyl that shakes so violently that one must check where the engine bolts on and see if its ok before buying.

And will cost as much as a 70s 911 to get. Will definately outperform it and will handle probably better than most of todays affordable sportscars with its almost perfect 50-50 weight distribution.

But I am not pretty sure that this car will cost less to maintain thatn a 911 or a Boxster.

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #38 of 41
Hey, I'll be the first to admit, I've never actually driven the cars. So if it is easy to spin out, my bad. I would assume, though, that it's a heckuva lot easier to control than the 930 series.

And yes, the 944 S2 is awesome. Other than the fact that it's mid engined and not a flat-6, so it's not a 'true' Porsche
biggrin.gif
It's still cool, though.

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #39 of 41
I had a nice new Boxter lined up, but then I started lusting after the Boxter S which was just outside my price range. So I switched to the M Roadster!

I guess that shows how much roadsters are like headphones!
tongue.gif

(Was going to get RS-1, but started lusting after HP-1, so I switched to Senn 650, etc..
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
I had a nice new Boxter lined up, but then I started lusting after the Boxter S which was just outside my price range. So I switched to the M Roadster!

I guess that shows how much roadsters are like headphones!
tongue.gif

(Was going to get RS-1, but started lusting after HP-1, so I switched to Senn 650, etc..
wink.gif

thats "boxster" or 986.

i know nothing about car technically and suck at driving, but i always love porsche and especially their history. so much innovation by them that was copied by other companies. dr. ferdinand piech was one of the best engineer ever, despite being soso stubborn about low drag and aerodynamic when he first begin to design racing cars for posche. the 917, audi quattro and r8 was all own to his work. porsche physical design are always hard for some to like. the truth is that they never design their car to look good, but to be functional instead. their cars especially last very long, if you take car of them. those ads and movies that show destruction of porsches are the ones that kill me the most, unbearable.

Apr 4, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #41 of 41
I grew up in a 928 and a lightly modified 964 911 Carrera. Did some reeeeeel stupid things in both, but learned to drive "Correctly" and got myself out of as much trouble as I got into.

I also rode in a colleague of my father's who owned a 500+ HP 1989 930 turbo. It was the fastest thing ever attached to four wheels.

Porsches are like most good German cars: they WILL last forever, but they require constant work to function well. They are overbuilt and overengineered, but not overly reliable.

I will have something German again, but just got out of an Audi A6 that tried to steal my wallet with service costs. Try a nice little Boxster to get your feet wet. Older Carreras can be expensive (read-valve jobs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back