Any PMP out there better than the Cowon A3???
May 6, 2008 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Phantom87

Head-Fier
So i have the Cowon A3 and its pretty lovely except for the battery not lasting too long.

The features are great and defn8ly outweights the Archos 605 by all margins as i have compared both personally.

So is there anything out there better than the Cowon A3?

May 6, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkomang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so tell me. does the iphone have the format support of the cowon a3?

Yes they both play MP3 and Apple Lossless which are the 2 formats I care about. Can your Cowon A3 make a phone call?

May 6, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 34
the cowon has only 3 extra codecs than the iphone where audio is concerned. one: wma - but that is a closed, non standard codec. then there is ogg and flac. both of those are open and there is no record label or industry bullying behind cowon's products so to support flac or ogg is: easy as hell and really a brainless way to gain points.

it is a nice player (a3) but as far as codecs are concerned, with the release of sdk for iphone and ipod touch, there will be in a matter of time, the same codecs released for the ipod. the sdk is hacked and will remain that way. rockbox are free to publish it as well.

the cowon has a much better screen though (but you cannot fit it into any nice looking trouser - pockets)

May 7, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 34
Well the A3 supports more than just Mp3, wma, flac and ogg... it has MPEG1 Layer 1/2/3, WMA, FLAC, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, APPLELossless, AAC/AAC+, AC3, True Audio, Monkey Audio, MusePack, WavPack, G.726, PCM

LOL that's more than 3... but I do agree, once the iPhone gets Rockbox ported it's going to be one hell of a PMP. The A3 does have better SQ i believe and a nicer screen as well as much more video codec support. But in terms of overall functionality, the iPhone does have much more features; if you can deal with the recessed headphone jack...

May 8, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by GIGANTOID /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe making a phonecall isn't fair since its not a regular PMP feature. Can the Cowon A3 stream your music from home to your PMP via WiFi like the iPhone can?

can your iphone drag n' drop video files? or be used with your eyes closed?

on the same side, can the cowon directly search in files?

both have their advantages, but i'd take the cowon over the iphone as a PMP without a second thought.

May 8, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 34
for watching movies: haha, i would not choose the iphone or the ipod touch over the a3. the a3 just is a better experience for that sort of thing. but taking it out of your house requires experience and careful planning as it is massive. try using it on the bus going to uni - it will get stolen so quickly as you are beat up for it.

a great player for inside. as for sq - that is up for debate. if you like the cowon sound, then yes. but if do not like the cowon sound, then no.

May 8, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip> try using it on the bus going to uni - it will get stolen so quickly as you are beat up for it.

That would depend on how big a p ussy the owner is, lol...
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got snipped! i suppose you don't take the bus eh?

No, I don't take the bus. I only live 6 blocks from work.

I was just pulling your leg.
wink.gif
But I fully understand your concern, especially with the 'gang mentality' so prevalent these days.

May 9, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by GIGANTOID /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes they both play MP3 and Apple Lossless which are the 2 formats I care about. Can your Cowon A3 make a phone call?

I know I'm wasting my breath here (Yes, that is a flame), but let me try to explain why an iPhone isn't the right answer.

First of all as a PMP, an iPhone sucks. Only 16 gigs of space, which isn't enough for a lot of movies. Second, it needs converting for almost every single video out there, whereas the A3 can play just about anything, and can drag and drop it for easy and fast, not to mention compatible with Linux, file transfers.

The iPhone also ISN'T a PMP. It has too small a screen for that, no widescreen resolution, and it's a phone.

Not saying the iPhone sucks here, but your trolling (and my feeding) is totally unneccesary.

May 9, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #15 of 34
zarakisan, great name by the way. i think i may be mistaken but i took gigantoid's remarks almost completely as jokes. i may be mistaken. can you a3 make a phone call was like a line from the movie 'this is spinal tap'.

the iphone certainly is not as good a pmp as far as movies are concerned for a big screen - no doubting that. it has low resolution, only supports the industry standards of mp4 and .264 encoding. it also has les storage.

but, it can fit in most trouser pockets. the a3 is 'portable' in the grand sense that a laptop is a 'portable' computer. you need to lug it somehow. the a3 unless you are like a gang starr will not fit in any trouser.

it is lovely and is finally a good step for cowon away from the simple life of everyone supports codecs. but the iphone or ipod touch you must realise will soon support all those codecs and likely support more like even the nearly defunct mpc.

pmp means portable media player. as far as portable, it is much more so than the a3. as ar as media, it does it for some people in a much better way but for others, not so well. as for player: it is an ipod. the ipod has always been a player and in fact is now iconic of portable media. so, what is not pmp about it?

i was eyeing the q5 before i picked up my touch and i am very glad i picked up my touch instead. i rarely download movies but rather burn my dvds. if i do that, they go to .264 encoding, not 3vix or something else. essentially, if you are more of a pirate, i can see the a3 being the best pmp (pirate mobile platform) as it will play all the torrent files. (i am just going off here not really insinuating anything).

the iphone can work wit amarok that is from linux. so, yeah, i think that it is quite a useful product. and so is the a3. they just have diferent segments of the pmp market. i do not happen to be the 160gb of movie file toting and needing a laptop case to carry it sort of bloke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back