Any players with ALL of these features?
Feb 9, 2006 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

slag

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering if there's a digital audio player with ALL of these features - I don't know of any! Name the ones that come closest, and which of the features they support.

Player Type: flash-memory (no HDDs allowed, however small!)
-gapless playback
-crossfading
-Ogg vorbis support
-USB Mass Storage Device (no proprietary software needed)
-removable battery, not internal

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 15
very few DAP's(flash and HDD) support gapless out of the box. Usually gapless is achieved through rockbox. Actually I can't think of any DAP that supports gapless stock unless you're using ogg files.

Feb 9, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 15
the only flashplayers that support gapless out of the box are the sony ones, but only when using ATRAC. Your only option, if you want to use ogg is getting a Nano and install Rockbox on it.

Feb 9, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 15
I think the closest that comes to that are the iAudio 4 and the iAudio G3, but I don't thing they have gapless. They both have removable batteries, and ogg. Crossfading, I'm not sure, gapless, pretty sure not.

Feb 9, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by vidas7de7jesus7
Crossfading, I'm not sure, gapless, pretty sure not.

Yep, no crossfading, no gapless...........

Feb 10, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 15
So the Nano w/ Rockbox is pretty close (only thing lacking is the removable battery.) That's what I was thinking... the new 1GB is pretty cheap, too.

Humm! We'll see, I'm not convinced that the Nano is better suited to my needs than an iAudio 5.

Feb 10, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 15
Umm...since a lot of people seem misinformed....

If you can find one, the Rio Karma supports OGG, FLAC, MP3, and WMA out of the box and does gapless and crossfading for all formats right out of the box. It does require it's own software, but the software is quite intuitive, and not resource intensive at all. Alternatively, you can use RioRad software which will mimic MSC. The dock has an ethernet port, and with the RioRad software you can do streaming etc.

Beyond the Karma though, there was an older RCA unit that did gapless, and the newer Rockbox firmware for the iRiver IHP-120 will do gapless, but the Karma is the only one (aside from the RCA) to my knowledge that will do gapless out of the box for all formats.

Feb 10, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg

You mean about the part where he said no hard drive players?
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #11 of 15
One of the Sony ones would do you if you didn't mind ATRAC. I use and it's fine. I need gapless, so there ya go. You would need to use SonicStage.

No flash DAP is going to be perfect.

Feb 10, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #12 of 15
What's SonicStage?

Sigh... I'm guessing it won't work properly with Linux (Kubuntu "Breezy" release 5.10, kernel version 2.6.12)...

Looks like the iAudio or the Nano with Rockbox are the best options, and I'll probably go for the removable battery. Not even sure that I want to sell my X5L for the flash, but I hate having that fragile HDD.

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by slag
What's SonicStage?

Sigh... I'm guessing it won't work properly with Linux (Kubuntu "Breezy" release 5.10, kernel version 2.6.12)...

Looks like the iAudio or the Nano with Rockbox are the best options, and I'll probably go for the removable battery. Not even sure that I want to sell my X5L for the flash, but I hate having that fragile HDD.

No, it does not work with Linux. It's SOny's software for transferring music to the player. It works on Windows.

I have a feeling like me, you'll get annoyed with the lack of gapless (since Rockbox is not fully working on iAudio yet) with the iAudio.

Feb 11, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

I sure hope you weren't referring to me.

Rio's built quality SUCKS. It's true and everyone knows it.
I'd still stick with the iRiver.

Feb 11, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

If you can find one, the Rio Karma supports OGG, FLAC, MP3, and WMA out of the box and does gapless and crossfading for all formats right out of the box. It does require it's own software, but the software is quite intuitive, and not resource intensive at all. Alternatively, you can use RioRad software which will mimic MSC. The dock has an ethernet port, and with the RioRad software you can do streaming etc.

Beyond the Karma though, there was an older RCA unit that did gapless, and the newer Rockbox firmware for the iRiver IHP-120 will do gapless, but the Karma is the only one (aside from the RCA) to my knowledge that will do gapless out of the box for all formats.

sucks that rio went out of the business--they supposedly had a pretty slick method of easily implementing gapless playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back