Any pixies fans out there?
Oct 25, 2005 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

xstephanx

Head-Fier
Im really into the pixies these days some good music for album listening

also goes very well with ermm....one of my other "hobbies"

so i was just wondering if there are any other head-fiers out there who like the pixies?

also is it just me or is the bass on doolittle really hot...

Oct 25, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 20
trompe le monde is one of my favorite albums. Listened to the Pixies a lot in H.S. Haven't listened to it in a while...guess I could kill an hour listening with my other hobby as well.

Oct 25, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 20
I first got turned on to the pixies back in 2001. I picked up the doolittle in my travels at an awseome little record store in belgium called Bilbo Records. I got quite a few gems there including:

Gomez - Bring it on
Screamin' Jay Hawkins - Cow Fingers & Tomato Pie
Sloan - Twice Removed (for only 2 euros!).

Only song that caught me at first listen was Here Comes Your Man but as soon as I heard monkey gone to heaven I was hooked. The music was like nothing else I had heard. They quickly became my favourite band.

Although my love affair with the pixies has slowed a little they are still one of my all time faves.

My thanks to Teflon Billy over at the ENWorld.org forums for turning me on to them and Frank Black on an IRC chat way back when

Oct 25, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 20
The Pixies are outrighteous! I've been listening to them since 1989, circa Doolittle.

Have you tried out any of Frank Black's solo albums? The first two (especially Teenager of the Year are great. 'How bout Kim Deal and Tanya Donnelly (of Throwing Muses fame)'s collaboration The Breeders?

Oct 25, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #5 of 20
I prefer Frank Blacks self titled effort to Teenager of the Year, though I really enjoy "abstract plain". Some solid songs on Show Me Your Tears as well.

the Breeder's do indeed rock. Pod is fantastic and sadly often overlooked b/c of last splash.

I saw a new pixies concert DVD at the record store the other day. Glad to see it because I like seeing anything new coming from the pixies, but I am not into concert DVD's wish it was a DVD-A of doolittle instead.

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 20
haha Nice to know that there are people out there with good cans and good music!

i also didnt think that head-fi was the type of community to share the green hobby...i guess it really CAN be anyone

also im currently really digging the song hey, to the point that me and my friends think we'll play that for Battle of the bands this year...

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon
the Breeder's do indeed rock. Pod is fantastic and sadly often overlooked b/c of last splash.

while i really like Last Spash, Pod is usually the album i grab when i am looking for my Breeders fix. i could do without Title TK, however.

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 20
pixies are definitely in my top five favs. I can't wait till they make new stuff, which apparently they are.
icon10.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 20
I love the Pixies... just saw 'em a couple months back.

If you look in the lyrics thread you'll see I posted a medley of Pixies lyrics.

Oct 26, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Yeah, I think because last splash is radio friendly people are more aware of it.

I also feel that pod is the better album.

I like Pod a great deal - it has some gripping moments. But I think hardcore alternative-types sometimes inadvertently diminish the importance of albums that are not merely successful pop but which become Pop Classics - Pop Benchmarks. For an album that does so many things differently from the early 90s norm, Last Splash is a pristine Pop success. In sixty years' time, people will still be talking about how remarkable it is - so tightly and accessibly made.

You can well argue that Surfer Rosa is a better, harder album than Doolittle (most of the time I'd be inclined to agree) but the latter is an enduring milestone. It's the gateway for successive generations of Pixies fans. Just so, you could say that The Beachboys' Smile is the most important thing they ever/never did, but those claims will always be made in relation to the indisputable success of Pet Sounds.

Troilus and Cressida is a phenomenal, vicious Shakespeare play (a hardcore 'cover' of Chaucer's epic poem) but chances are you'll know plenty about De Bard from Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet before you get to Troilus.

Oct 26, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 20
I happen to like pet sounds and doolittle better than smile and surfer rosa.
biggrin.gif

Which is opposite to what most hardcore pixies fans would say. I love surfer rosa, but if I had to choose just one it would have to be doolittle.

All the pixies stuff is really great though, any music fan owes it to themselves to check them out, I would recommend doolittle as the starting point though.

Oct 26, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

I happen to like pet sounds and doolittle better than smile and surfer rosa.
biggrin.gif

Which is opposite to what most hardcore pixies fans would say. I love surfer rosa, but if I had to choose just one it would have to be doolittle.

All the pixies stuff is really great though, any music fan owes it to themselves to check them out, I would recommend doolittle as the starting point though.

You go Omedon! Pop-life rules!

'Gouuuge-awaay, ba-boo-ba-doo-ba, youuu can gouge-away, Honey-lamb! Light of My Life! -- Me serenading perfect but currently unknown girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back