Any pics of MPX3 6SN7 tubes glowing?
Sep 19, 2005 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

IronLion

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody have any pics of MPX3 6SN7 tubes in the dark? Mine is arriving later this week with Solen 3, Black Gates and Teflon Coupling capacitators and I am just wondering how brightly the tubes glow, especially in the dark; this is my first tube amp and I am interested to see how bright mine will get. Thanks.

Sep 19, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 6
Congratulations to your purchase!

Rest assure. They will glow. They all do, more or less
600smile.gif

Some tubes glow more than others, however. The obvious ones to focus on, if you prioritize the visual aspects of tube amplification, are the so called clear bottles, with transparent envelopes.
tongue.gif

To get a quite nice glow in the dark, also combined with a warm and glowing sonic impression, there is the combination of a RCA 6SN7GT black-plates/clear-glass (very early GTA´s also have a quite warm sound) as a driver and two Sylvania 6SN7GT (VT-231). An early Hytron and two RCA´s black-plates is also a combination one could try. The by far most warmest tubes I have heard are some B 36´s, which are a 12V filament versions of the B 65 European 6SN7.

My personal, general, favourite combination, however, is the one you stated in your profile.

Don’t forget to tell us about your MPX3, once it has arrived!

BTW. What is “Teflon Coupling capacitators”? What are their signature?

EDIT: PS. "Welcome to Head-Fi. We are sorry about your wallet." I guess you have already experienced the financial sides of this hobby.
icon10.gif

Sep 19, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 6
I will try to picture one later today, but 6sn7 tubes don't appear to be too bright compare to tubes in ASL OTL 32.
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 6
To those who have responded, thanks. Yes, this hobby has already cost me a fair amount of money but I can say with confidence that after I get the MPX3 and upgrade its power cords (which should happen within a month or so) I should be more or less set for a while. I think what I finally realized after spending an initial investment on some questionable gear (Musical Fidelity X-series stuff...) is that in order to get what you're really looking for its usually best to just save up and make the big expense once instead of continually trying to upgrade this and that in order to try and make something better.

I am a photographer so when I do get the amp I will be sure to post some pics of it as well as some initial impressions. I have sent some PM's to SACD about this and apparently the configuration of my MPX3 is a relatively new one, that is the Teflon Coupling Capacitators with the Solen 3. The teflon's are I think something new that Mikhail has begun to use that should balance out the warmth (or darkness? not sure) of the Solen 3 upgrade with speed and resolution. It should be a good combination, I can't wait to get it on Thursday.

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 6
Here are some pictures of my MPX3 silver prototype (virtually same as current MPX3 except for the case).

Below is a picture of my MPX3 w/ 6sn7 (Tungsol and two Hytron from right to left). The picture on top was taken during the day and bottom was taken near sun set time.
MPX3_1s.jpg

Both pictures were taken near completely dark room to show glowing 6sn7 tubes.
MPX3_2s.jpg

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back