Any Peter Gabriel fans?
Oct 2, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #16 of 30
Big fan here!!
Went to see him in the early '90's when he was doing his Secret World tour..(Tony Levin went to the Eastman School of Music here in Rochester so he actually plays in town quite a bit). It's gotta be in my top 5 shows ever!
I also love all the work he does with Womad.
He is an all round nice guy/gentleman/music fav to me. Long may he go on re-inventing himself, cause I'll listen to anything he'll put out.

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #17 of 30
On the subject of Peter Gabriel, my favorite Deep Forest song is While The Earth Sleeps that features him.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonolithTMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love Peter Gabriel. My favorite song is Solsbury Hill, because, well, it just make sme feel good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh my gosh, yes! But what the heck is it about lol.. I am dying to know what the official meaning of this song is. I love to play it really loud and sing along in my craptastic voice.. lol Puts me in a great mood. What a fun energy this song has..

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foxtrot's (currently) my second favorite album of all time, and PG4 (aka Security) is at number 11, so you could say that I was a fan. I think that he's quite popular around here: I see his name a lot, and there's a consensus that Up was a sensational return to form.

Im a bit ashamed to admit that although I am an enormous PG fan I dont really enjoy his pre SO content nearly as much as everything after that release. >_<

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
funny you should post this.. I was just logging on to head-fi, and I 'm listening to mr Gabriel right now.

He's one of the few artists i've promised myself tickets to his next tour, NO MATTER WHAT, as last time he was here we already had tickets to a Tori Amos show on the same night and my Wife wouldn't budge.. grr

I kind of appreciate that he's keeping up to date with technology when a lot of artists his age are happy to just play oldies. His stage shows are always something else too..

OH MY GOSH.. !!!!!!!!!!!

I totally relate to you on this, I am DYING to see him preform live. What an amazing experience it would be. Seriously would blow me away just to lose myself for a few hours in his music like I often do, but with him there creating such a rich atmosphere of emotions. adfjskfjlksfgj I cant express enough how much that would touch my heart!

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #21 of 30
I Grieve and Sledgehammer are phenominal tracks. I love how when he makes a happy upbeat song its so powerful you cant help but feel good, no matter what kind of negative mood you're in. Likewise, I am so crazy about his ability to connect with sadness in such delicate and meaningful manner. Its absolutely amazing.

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrD3i2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my gosh, yes! But what the heck is it about lol.. I am dying to know what the official meaning of this song is. I love to play it really loud and sing along in my craptastic voice.. lol Puts me in a great mood. What a fun energy this song has..

Ask and ye shall receive.

While The Earth Sleeps:
Peter Gabriel and Deep Forest

(Macedonian)
Dali znaesh mila majko
shto sum ne srekjna
Cel den doma sama sedam
Nadvor ne smejam.

(translation)
Do you know, mother,
How unlucky I am?
All day I sit at home,
I am not allowed outside

From http://www.uppercutmusic.com/artist_...ps_lyrics.html

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Chaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been a Peter Gabriel fan for years, since taking a flyer on a used concert CD. If you want a treat sometime, get the DVD of the "Secret World" tour. I'm not a big fan of concert DVDs but this one is excellent. Well filmed. The sound quality has some strange characteristics, but not enough to keep me from viewing it repeatedly.

Favorite songs?
"San Jacinto"
"Slow Marimbas" (I admire his courage in playing this slow song in a concert; his concerts aren't just full-honk thrash fests)
"Solsbury Hill"
"Digging in the Dirt"

I like the way he crafts his songs.

I dont think Ive heard Ovo.. I somehow missed that album? *dies* Im going to get it asap! UP was freaking beautiful, I was in love with it from the very first time I heard it.

I love all those songs you've listed and more.. I cant say favorites without just listing entire albums lol.. I guess the ones that are most personal to me would be all the songs on the SO album.

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relayer71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, my favorite songs:

"In Your Eyes" - the perfect love song for those who hate love songs, hehe.

"Mercy Street" - so atmospheric.

"Blood of Eden"

"Solsbury Hill"

"Intruder"

Oh my gosh, I love all those so much as well, although Blood of Eden sometimes makes me a tiny bit uncomfortable when I pay close attention to the lyrics and Im not in the right mood. lol

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonolithTMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ask and ye shall receive.

While The Earth Sleeps:
Peter Gabriel and Deep Forest

(Macedonian)
Dali znaesh mila majko
shto sum ne srekjna
Cel den doma sama sedam
Nadvor ne smejam.

(translation)
Do you know, mother,
How unlucky I am?
All day I sit at home,
I am not allowed outside

From http://www.uppercutmusic.com/artist_...ps_lyrics.html

Wow, I could say a lot in reply but I think it would be too personal to share really. That really hit home, I wasnt expecting that. Thnk you for sharing it.

The one thing about PG that drives me a tiny bit crazy is I dont always know what the heck the song is officially about, but regardless of that it still has this phenominal power to reach right into me and force me to allow myself a few moments of acknowledgement for my more fragile emotions. If that isnt enormous talent, I dont know What is
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big fan here!!
Went to see him in the early '90's when he was doing his Secret World tour..(Tony Levin went to the Eastman School of Music here in Rochester so he actually plays in town quite a bit). It's gotta be in my top 5 shows ever!
I also love all the work he does with Womad.
He is an all round nice guy/gentleman/music fav to me. Long may he go on re-inventing himself, cause I'll listen to anything he'll put out.

Amen to that! Hes only gotten better with age in my opinion. What a fantastic artist.

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relayer71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who DOESN'T know who he is? Lol.

Ok, he's not a household name like Madonna or Phil Collins (lol) but he is very well known.

I think his best work was with Genesis though - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and Selling England By The Pound are two of my favorite albums of all time.

As far as his solo work, I think he peaked with 1986's "So". The other albums since then have been good but nowhere as consistent as this gem...and I think the follow up to that, "Us" was better than his latest "Up".

I'm hoping his next one is "On"
wink.gif

(Interestingly, Phil Collins best work was with Genesis too - at least for me
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I never listened to any pre Collins Genesis.. I really loved the album We cant Dance.. I think it had some powerful tracks on it, but seriously aside from that Im not a big Genesis or Collins fan.. Im really glad PG went solo because otherwise I doubt I would have found him til much later.

And What lol His albums after SO are amazing, although I do agree that the one directly after SO was not my favorite and I was somewhat discouraged. You cant deny how great UP is lol

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #28 of 30
Peter Gabriel easily ranks as one of my top artists. My first PG album was UP, and it remains as my favorite album of his, with Security coming up in second. I do have to say that Secret World is probably my favorite PG song, with Signal to Noise as a extremely close second. There's just something about both of those songs that just puts me at ease despite the situation. I only have one Genesis album, namely Selling England by the Pound, and I think it's also very good.

I can't wait for I/O aka his next album to come out, and I hope to God that he comes my way if he tours again.

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peter Gabriel easily ranks as one of my top artists. My first PG album was UP, and it remains as my favorite album of his, with Security coming up in second. I do have to say that Secret World is probably my favorite PG song, with Signal to Noise as a extremely close second. There's just something about both of those songs that just puts me at ease despite the situation. I only have one Genesis album, namely Selling England by the Pound, and I think it's also very good.

I can't wait for I/O aka his next album to come out, and I hope to God that he comes my way if he tours again.

Signal to the Noise was brilliant, I cant get over how it instantly gives me goosebumps just to hear that ... sound? lol The weird non wordy singing.. Gosh I cant explain what the heck it is, but its freaking fantastic. Its got so much passion in it all your nerves would have to be DEAD for your hair to not stand on end and your skin not to goosebump hearing it. lol

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrD3i2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never listened to any pre Collins Genesis.. I really loved the album We cant Dance.. I think it had some powerful tracks on it, but seriously aside from that Im not a big Genesis or Collins fan.. Im really glad PG went solo because otherwise I doubt I would have found him til much later.

And What lol His albums after SO are amazing, although I do agree that the one directly after SO was not my favorite and I was somewhat discouraged. You cant deny how great UP is lol

Wow, you're missing out on a lot. The PG era Genesis albums are absolutely fantastic. I was a fan of PG's solo work before I got into Genesis - actually avoided them a long time based on what I'd hear on the radio (the Collins era stuff).

But even the big Collins era hits were misleading to me because the albums they're from (up until 1980's Duke album) are actually great albums in their own right.

Anyway, Peter Gabriel's contributions to Genesis were huge. His voice, lyrics and personality perfectly matched the great music they created, I would even say took it to another level altogether as to me the Phil era was a step down. The music was still great but the lyrics and ideas suffered a bit and with Phil being more frontman than ever, his drumming became less adventurous (with Genesis he's one of my all time favorite drummers) and a bit more "average".

Aside from the 2 PG era albums I mentioned above, I recommend these Phil era albums:

- Duke, 1980
- A Trick Of The Tail, 1977
- ...And Then There Were Three, 1978

And if you get them, make sure to get the Remastered versions (don't think the older ones are around anymore but you never know) - and not the NEWLY REMIXED & REMASTERED ones just released, lol - I keep hearing about how the sound on those is hit and miss.

As for albums after So - only 2 albums, lol.

Us was very good but not as great as So which to me was PERFECT.

Up has some of his best work, "Signal To Noise", "Darkness", "I Grive", but it also has some questionable stuff: "The Barry Williams Show" isn't very exciting, "Sky Blue" is a bit dull and "Growing Up" would have been a GREAT song had it only been 5 minutes long, but at 7:22 it's just too long.

And I LOVE long tracks but this track doesn't change much from beginning to end. Now listen to the 8 minute long, "Dancing With The Moonlight Knight" from Selling England By The Pound for some tonal/structural variety
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back