Any Parasound Halo owners out there?
Jan 16, 2003 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Voodoochile

Supafly & The Funky Pimps
Title says it all. I'm considering the A23 amp and P3 preamp.

I'm pretty familiar with the original Parasound line (and like it). The Halo line has balanced connections, and somewhat better current handling, it would seem. The amp is only $150 more than the 1000A amp in the classic line of the same output rating.

Any thoughts/rants/raves?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Jan 17, 2003 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 13
Ya think?

I hope so, 'cause it's on the way. I have 30 days to audition it, and can return it without cost if it's not what I expect.

I was originally going to just go with the 1000-A, and probably build a preamp, but the thought of having some reasonable point of reference in a preamp is appealing. Not that this is a reference design by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a good step-up from basic consumer.

My present (and will remain so) "living room" system is based around an Integra (high-Onkyo) DTR 5.2, which is a solid all-around performer for the short money. Handles DTS, and works well in the living room, as it should, generally pleasing everyone. But it's not really what I want for myself. I'd like to have something I can enjoy on occasion without the cans on, without spending five-plus biggies.

Jan 18, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 13
For the same amount of money, have you considered an integrated amp? There are some really great integrateds out right now in both that power and price range. The following amps are some of the better ones you may want to look into-

1. Plinius 8100 100W $1995

2. Classe` CAP-101 100W $1600

3. Musical Fidelity A3.2 115W $1495

Just a suggestion
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2003 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 13
I have looked into integrated as well... long and hard, for sure. I guess I really want a seperate power amp principally. This will be used as a tool as well, and I really want the flexibility of the seperates.

I like the Classe very much, BTW. A friend has one of their integrateds, and the CDP as well. An awesome CDP it is!

The Parasounds are coming in at 1350 for the pair, which is an excellent value, though I have doubts about the preamp, for some reason.

Thanks for your input, Peter!

Jan 18, 2003 at 6:47 AM Post #7 of 13
I am sure that you have mostly likely read the article before, but if for some reason you did not, the Absolute Sound reviewed the Halo seperates in their Oct/Nov. issue. They seemed to like both pieces, and the two were added to their recommended products list. They should be a good pair, especially at that price. I guess I personally just have a bias towards integrateds.
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2003 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 13
Now that you've got the components, voodoochile, what do you think of them? I'm considering this setup, too.

Feb 7, 2003 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 13
Hi Tangent-
It's a mixed bag with Halo, so far as I can tell. First things first, I do like the sound, very much. And the pricing was competetive, especially on the amp.

Parasound's HCA-1000-A is 650 retail, and was offered to me at 550. The Halo A23 is 899 retail, and I got it at 699. So, although the same output power, the Halo was only 150 more. It's specs sonically are about the same as the HCA-1000-A, but more conservative. Bigger transformer and more capacitance in the PSU (which by now you know I like), THX-2 vs THX-1 certified-which doesn't really mean **** to me, other than it must be rated somewhat better. The logo looks queer on the front of an amp like this, however. And best of all, balanced inputs. That was key for me.

The bad news: The amp is not truly balanced throughout. Just balanced connections. Ahhh... so I got what I paid for. Bummer. The HCA-1000-A offered 12v remote turn on, not uncommon. But the Halo offered that as well as auto sensing turn-on based on signal presence. I liked that Idea, as I could have it turn on with any preamp, even if there was no 12v trigger (eg, one of my own construction). This feature I could not get to work, even with frequent adjustment of the sensitivity control on the back. Another letdown, though not sonically.

Lastly, this thing looks awesome on a shelf. It's beautiful, even though the plastic endcaps do not exactly match the faceplate, which is aluminum. The power switch has faint blue glow around it (halo
rolleyes.gif
), that when depressed, turnes red during on-cycle, then to brighter blue when ready. At this point, all the buttons have a nice blue glow (preamp is the same way) emanating from the perimeter. Well, while this eye candy looks pissah, so to speak, the switches themselves feel to me like they won't last a year or two before breaking. I don't know if they (the actuators themselves) are metal or plastic, but even if metal, they feel really wiggly and breakable. It does not inspire a sense of quality about the unit, which may leak into the listening experience!

The preamplifier is another story. While I might be able to live with paying an extra 150 for the Halo amp, the P3 preamp was also sold at 699, (retail was 900), where the PHP-850 preamp is 250 retail. I picked the much more expensive (though not really unreasonable) P23 for it's balanced in and outputs. Additionally, it utilizes Analog Devices OPAs, which I feel might be more appropriate in a preamplifier than the Burr-Brown OPAs used in the PHP-850. Although I prefer B-B OPAs in my headphone amps, so far. Same issues as the amp, the controls feel really junky. Although the unit has a 5/10 year warranty, who wants to be without their equipment for 6 weeks while it's being repaired? Also, it uses a rotary encoder for the digital volume control. The simpler and more industrial PHP-850 uses an alps volume pot and bourns for other controls. Maybe not as technically elegant as the encoder, but I don't exactly have any long-term faith in the cheap feel of the P23's controls at all, and also don't feel I could replace them myself down the road.

I like things that not only perform well, but also look well. Don't get me wrong, form must always follow function in my book. But, if you have an attempt at form, it ought to be solid, not a cheesy makeover, which is how this feels. I think that the classic line, while industrial in appearance, is going to be a far better value. And should perform about the same. To reiterate, I do indeed like the sound very very much. But I can't get over the disappointing feel of the user interface. It just feels cheap.

I have a month to audition it, it's been two and a half weeks. I plan on returning it at this point, unfortuantely. I may try the HCA-1000/PHP850 setup, which has nearly identical specs, save the balanced input/outputs (again, I/O only, not true balanced operation), and the whole nut is only 900, vs 1400.

But I also may look around some more. I'm curious about the Roksan line, and might also look into a few others. I was sorely disappointed with the Halo, though. I may very well end up with the classic line, however.

...FWIW!

Feb 8, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 13
Well, here's my thing. I need a new preamp or integrated for sure. My current integrated has no remote; this 2-channel setup is part of my TV system, and my previous cable receiver could control its volume output from the remote so the lack of remote volume control on the integrated wasn't a problem. I just traded up to a better satellite system, though, and its receiver has fixed audio outputs. So, I need a pre with a remote to start with.

I also have a need for balanced I/O, because I'm wanting to play with this sort of thing and need a balanced source. The Halo pre will take an unbalanced source and balance it, right? I really couldn't care less about fully balanced operation. The only thing that gives you is better channel separation, and I don't listen to my main stereo system enough to be too picky about that. As long as I can get a balanced signal out of it for my playing purposes, that's all I really care about. It might be nice to have this feature to avoid any ground loop problems, too.

The Halo system's looks are indeed great. I, too, was also considering the Roksan stuff, and liked it for its similar looks. Unfortunately the Roksan gear doesn't have balanced I/O. I'm now torn between going with the cheaper (and better built?) Roksan and just adding a balun circuit on its output for my playing, or going with Parasound's setup.

The only worry, then, is the construction issues. And to answer that, the question is, do I trust Parasound? I've got a P/HP-850, so until now the answer was "yes". Hmmmmm....

Additional opinions welcomed.

Feb 8, 2003 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 13
I can vouch for parasound build quality... I just got an SR-250 reciever.... and it's build like a tank.

Feb 8, 2003 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 13
I have a friend with the "Classic" style Parasound amp and preamp, and it is indeed build like a tank. The Halo isn't poorly constructed, per se, but the buttons feel VERY flimsy. I'm not being too picky, either. It's probably due to the design of having the LED illumination arouns them, not sure. I know I'd be pissed if one popped off.

Adcom also has a balanced preamp in their lineup, but I have heard of quality issues with Adcom in the last couple years. Maybe they were bought out by someone?

What would really float my boat would be the Classic Parasound, with balanced operation! Preferably in silver, too. I must say I was surprised by the Halo having the plasic endcaps and questionable buttons after being familiar with Classic's durability.

Edit: Another thought- If you use principally the remote, perhaps the buttons will not be an issue at all.

Feb 8, 2003 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 13
Have you considered looking into a used setup instead?

If I was looking into another amp, pre setup I would most likely be looking for a used amp(s) and a new pre. The only reason I would look at a new pre is to get the latest multi-channel decoding technology, if I was just looking for a music pre then I might look for both used. Amps and Pres don't get abused much and they tend to lose quite a bit of value over a fairly short period of time. I paid less than half price for most of my components (half of local store prices) which is a much better value than buying something new.

Recently on audiogon I have seen great deals on Aragon, Bryston, VTL, BAT, Spectral, and Classe amps all steals at the prices they went for.

There is a spectral DMA-80 up there for $1100.00. This is an amp that sold originally for almost $3K and it will compete with amps costing much more. If you have not ever heard a Spectral amp you owe it to yourself to audition one. Closer to the prices you are looking at are several Classe CA-100s going for around $700.00.

I rarely ever purchase anything used that involves a transport mechanism but I highly recommend purchasing used amps/pres to my friends and they have all gotten great deals on equipment that would otherwise be way out of their reach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back