Any owners to the new A151?
Jan 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
Aye, it's a nice earphone. I want that cable on everything.

Ha, I already know you own one -- that's how I found out about it in the first place.
biggrin.gif

I'll agree there. Easily the best cable I have ever had on on IEM. It's wonderful.

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 15
Received my pair a week ago along with a Sansa Clip+ 8GB.  Rockboxed it right away and my first portable set up could not be better (for an unemployed college student).  Does anyone know which Comply tips would fit these A151's? The triple flanges are too long for my small ears I think.  I am using the bi-flange tips as of now.

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 15
Any idea when they are being released in the uk?  Also any point in looking at these if I already own westone 2's?

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 15
I am debating between the A151 and the CC51. From what Jokerl's reviews seem to indicate, the A151 is the better all-around value but the sound is better on the CC51. Having lost my beloved HJE900, I am inclining slightly towards the CC51....

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Received my pair a week ago along with a Sansa Clip+ 8GB.  Rockboxed it right away and my first portable set up could not be better (for an unemployed college student).  Does anyone know which Comply tips would fit these A151's? The triple flanges are too long for my small ears I think.  I am using the bi-flange tips as of now.

Probably the *200 size but hopefully someone can confirm as I don't have any at the moment. Hybrids stay on the nozzle fine and they're way larger than the *100 opening.

Quote:
It's been a while since I heard the W2 but probably not.

+1. No reason to expect an upgrade moving from a $240 dual-driver to a $75 single with a somewhat similar signature.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Quote:

Probably the *200 size but hopefully someone can confirm as I don't have any at the moment. Hybrids stay on the nozzle fine and they're way larger than the *100 opening.

Quote:
It's been a while since I heard the W2 but probably not.

+1. No reason to expect an upgrade moving from a $240 dual-driver to a $75 single with a somewhat similar signature.

Yeah, unfortunately I had to go from q-Jays to these because they broke and were out of warranty. I guess they do what they can for a single BA. 

As for Comply sizes the 100 should fit because my q-Jays tips fit and on Comply's website they recommend the 100 for them. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 15
Thanks for the responses.  I might try them, but Comply tips are on the pricey side though.

As for being a single BA, I cannot help but feel there's some kind of veil when a bunch of instruments start playing at the same time.  Songs that really shine are solo fingerstyle acoustic tracks such as those by Tommy Emmanuel, Clive Carroll, and Andy McKee.  I am really curious to hear what multi-BA IEM's have to offer.  That being said, I am still happy about the purchase.  I knew going into it that these would be light on bass; however, I find them very similar to my ATH-W1000 which have a marvelous mid-range and light but tight bass.  After |joker|'s review, it was too hard to pass up the opportunity.

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.  I might try them, but Comply tips are on the pricey side though.

As for being a single BA, I cannot help but feel there's some kind of veil when a bunch of instruments start playing at the same time.  Songs that really shine are solo fingerstyle acoustic tracks such as those by Tommy Emmanuel, Clive Carroll, and Andy McKee.  I am really curious to hear what multi-BA IEM's have to offer.  That being said, I am still happy about the purchase.  I knew going into it that these would be light on bass; however, I find them very similar to my ATH-W1000 which have a marvelous mid-range and light but tight bass.  After |joker|'s review, it was too hard to pass up the opportunity.

It's pretty much what you expect. A wider range and soundstage with lows and highs being clearer. I understand what you're saying about the lots of instruments playing at once, it's not as distinct as I'd like. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
I am debating between the A151 and the CC51. From what Jokerl's reviews seem to indicate, the A151 is the better all-around value but the sound is better on the CC51. Having lost my beloved HJE900, I am inclining slightly towards the CC51....

If you're replacing the HJE900s I would recommend the CC51s even though I haven't heard it. But they're a lot more similar than the 151s are to the Panas on built and sound (based on this thread). Of course I see Mike recommending the ECCI401s a lot more when it comes to solely sound signatures if you liked the Panas.  

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #14 of 15
I finally got my pair earlier this morning and I must say I am mighty impressed with the sound! This is the first BA IEM I've owned (my TF10s which I purchased recently are with a good friend, so I'm yet to try them on) and I must say I really, really like the clarity.

I was sceptical about the bass, but to be honest there's plenty of it, and well controlled might I add. The mids are nice, the treble isn't harsh - which is one of the things which I was REALLY hoping for (had a bad experience with some high end IEMs around the same price range I had auditioned earlier in January).

I did a bit of A/B testing with my Turbines (regular ones) - and these simply blow them out of the water. Of course the Turbines have really good bass if you're a basshead (which I thought I was until now) - but it's very easy to distinguish the the step up in sound while using the A151s and these simply sound much better, much less coloured, at least to my ears.

The cable has already been spoken about, and I have to agree, it's quite nice. I was actually also very impressed with the overall packaging - which I think is a step in the right direction from MEElec - and I for one am now a bigger fan of their products after owning these for less than 24 hours!

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:

Mmm, difficult to say. I wouldn't say the sound is better in the CC51. It's just different. A151 is warmer, CC51 more analytical, maybe. Well, I like more the sound signature of the CC51, because the mids are just lovely, but after some brain adjustment the A151 is absolutely perfect, quite balanced. Dunno, both are great phones.

I find very difficult to choose just one of them. If I were forced to choose just one I think I would go with the CC51, as the sound signature is more pleasing to me, but the comfort, fit, cable, etc. in the A151 is... well beyond words.

If Meelec made another BA like the A151 but without the warm sound signature, I would kill for it 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back