Any other "velvety" headphones like the D2000
May 19, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #16 of 38
I can testify that the DT770 & DT880 sound quite a bit different. 880 is much drier. Smooth, but I wouldn't say velvety. 880 is too "reference" for that.

May 19, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #17 of 38
Other "velvety" headphones like the D2000..... are D5000.
biggrin.gif

Well, others are Sennheiser HD6xx series, but you need amp to drive them well.

May 19, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other "velvety" headphones like the D2000..... are D5000.
biggrin.gif

Well, others are Sennheiser HD6xx series, but you need amp to drive them well.

You need it too to drive the D5000 IMHO, and probably a more capable one since you need to feed the cans power and current intensity too.
Other than that, they're resolving but smooth cans, though I wouldn't say they're warm or dark. Quite right sounding to my taste, specially modded.

Rgrds

May 19, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #19 of 38
I would not say D5000 really need amp as much as HD650.

All cans' sound improve via amplification, but less degree in D5000 and greater degree in HD650.

At least D5000s sound ok from my D2 portable player, while HD650s don't.

May 19, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the highs of the D2000 more than the HD600. They D2000 are just more dynamic and lively sounding.

Also I find the D2000 more comfy to wear

The D2000 was already on my short list for the next set of phones - to hang right next to my HD580s. This just moved them up the list a notch or two. If I could get a bit more treble extension and liveliness at low volumes without losing the gorgeous "smooth" of the 580s, I'd be a pig in poop.

How is the "boom" of the D2000? I've heard they're a bit uncontrolled at the bottom end.

Tim

May 19, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd have to take my SR80s from my cold, dead hands.
biggrin.gif
I've never put this much home listening time into any other headphones. I'm absolutely loving them and considering upgrading along the Grado line, which is why I've narrowed it between the Denons and the SR325is, on Headroom's 30-day return if I really don't like whatever cans I settle on.

Looks like more savin' up for me.
rolleyes.gif

I love Headroom, but you may severely over-pay for Dennons there. Last time I looked they were at full retail.

Tim

May 19, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not say D5000 really need amp as much as HD650.

All cans' sound improve via amplification, but less degree in D5000 and greater degree in HD650.

At least D5000s sound ok from my D2 portable player, while HD650s don't.

Oh well, you can't compare the D2 to other DAPs. For starters for its high power output which is 32mW compared to the average 5-10mW of most DAPs and computer outputs. To follow for that I'm pretty sure you're using EQ and other effects to have the D5000 sounding right to your ears.

I've tried the D5000 with iPod, PC output, and some amps and I can assure you they don't deliver a fraction of their potential when properly amped.

Rgrds

May 19, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just a question, if you like the sound why don't you just stick with them?

I try to avoid buying stuff that uses animal products, or at least stuff that is directly associated with a death of an animal/human/etc. If I could find another set of headphones that sound like the D2000 and doesn't use leather, that would be great. If not, hello D2000!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How is the "boom" of the D2000? I've heard they're a bit uncontrolled at the bottom end.

Tim

Depends on taste (as always) but I'd agree with that statement. With certain types of music the bass eats into the the other frequencies. The bass is also not as clear as some of the other phones (HD580, SR225, ATH-AD900) I've heard. But wow is the bass wonderful on the D2000.

Compared to unmodded DT770s (the only other bassy headphone I've tried), I think the D2000 fare much better in the bass department.

The D2000 is just a fantastic headphone. If the bass is even slightly more controlled on the D5000, it must be sublime.

May 19, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I try to avoid buying stuff that uses animal products, or at least stuff that is directly associated with a death of an animal/human/etc. If I could find another set of headphones that sound like the D2000 and doesn't use leather, that would be great. If not, hello D2000!

Depends on taste (as always) but I'd agree with that statement. With certain types of music the bass eats into the the other frequencies. The bass is also not as clear as some of the other phones (HD580, SR225, ATH-AD900) I've heard. But wow is the bass wonderful on the D2000.

Compared to unmodded DT770s (the only other bassy headphone I've tried), I think the D2000 fare much better in the bass department.

The D2000 is just a fantastic headphone. If the bass is even slightly more controlled on the D5000, it must be sublime.

I'm confused. The bass of the D2000 is boomy, uncontrolled, not clear...but wonderful? On bass-heavy recordings, the bottom end on my 580s is a bit much and eats into the clarity of the mids sometimes. Maybe these aren't for me.

Tim

May 19, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #25 of 38
I think the pads on the D2000 and D5000 are vinyl or pleather, not leather............

May 19, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused. The bass of the D2000 is boomy, uncontrolled, not clear...but wonderful? On bass-heavy recordings, the bottom end on my 580s is a bit much and eats into the clarity of the mids sometimes. Maybe these aren't for me.

Tim

Ahh...the internet. Where a person (me) can stick their foot in their mouth when trying hard not to. Let me first say that I'm not a basshead. I dislike subwoofers and usually keep turn off if I want to enjoy music. The only times I've made exceptions to this with the 2.1 computer systems.

I don't think the bass is boomy, uncontrolled, and not clear. I think that the bass can be a tiny bit boomy and uncontrolled on certain types of music (Daft Punk - Face to Face) and is *slightly* less detailed than the headphone I'm currently comparing it to, the ATH-AD900.

Now, let's take Billy Joel's - "The Downeaster Alexa." There is a repeating solid thump of the bass drum, and the song is very dark and low in general. To me the D2000 reproduces this song beautifully. The bass sounds controlled and detailed. I've got zero complaints here. I think most of my music sounds great with these headphones.

So that's why I threw in how wonderful the bass is.

Sorry for confusion.

May 19, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the pads on the D2000 and D5000 are vinyl or pleather, not leather............

If these pads and headband are pleather or vinyl, I'm going to ask Denon to make me a pair of shoes and a belt.

May 20, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #28 of 38
Just got a first listen to newly arrived D5000.

Yep, velvety!

Excellent, too.................

May 20, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If these pads and headband are pleather or vinyl, I'm going to ask Denon to make me a pair of shoes and a belt.

It was confirmed here after a lot of discussion that pads and headband are artificial (man-made). Good substitute stuff though, I got fooled for long time thinking it was genuine leather.

May 20, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was confirmed here after a lot of discussion that pads and headband are artificial (man-made). Good substitute stuff though, I got fooled for long time thinking it was genuine leather.

I was fooled too, apparently. That's some amazingly soft material. A bit softer than leather, even.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back