Any other Sony NWZ-A829 issues apart from mine?
May 8, 2008 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

soozieq

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I've just put in for a replacement unit from Amazon due to the following 3 issues, and I wondered if anyone else has experienced the same things or if it's just the way it is!

1. The back of the player gets really warm (laptop warm!!) after it's been on for a while. (I didn't have that problem with the 808)

2. The headphone socket is really TIGHT, and I mean TIGHT! I have to push the headphones in with such force that I'm scared of it flying out of my hand. My previous Sony players had more of an issue with loose sockets so I'm wondering if this new tight fit is deliberate?

3. After disconnecting from the computer, it takes 3 minutes (I timed it), to 'Create Library'. The 808 created the library in seconds. The 829 'freezes' around half way during the creation process for about 2 minutes, and then eventually carries on. But 3 minutes is excessive if I've only added one extra CD to the library!

Can any other owners tell me how long it takes for their libraries to update once the 829 has been disconnected? And if you're experiencing any of the issues I mentioned? Thanks.

P.S I love this Sony to pieces. I think maybe I was just unlucky and got a faulty one, but I'd like to check with other users in case it's how this particular model operates. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when the replacement comes.

May 8, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can any other owners tell me how long it takes for their libraries to update once the 829 has been disconnected? And if you're experiencing any of the issues I mentioned? Thanks.

the back of the player is some kind of composite or light weight alloy. if you do not touch it actually cold, not warm.

creating library does take some time, but under a minute

the socket is not loose, but neither is too tight

i hope you have better luck with the replacement.

May 8, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the replies. I tried the stock phones too and the socket is still way too tight.

I'm more concerned with the heat it's generating than anything else.

Oh well, second time lucky
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've just put in for a replacement unit from Amazon due to the following 3 issues, and I wondered if anyone else has experienced the same things or if it's just the way it is!

1. The back of the player gets really warm (laptop warm!!) after it's been on for a while. (I didn't have that problem with the 808)

2. The headphone socket is really TIGHT, and I mean TIGHT! I have to push the headphones in with such force that I'm scared of it flying out of my hand. My previous Sony players had more of an issue with loose sockets so I'm wondering if this new tight fit is deliberate?

3. After disconnecting from the computer, it takes 3 minutes (I timed it), to 'Create Library'. The 808 created the library in seconds. The 829 'freezes' around half way during the creation process for about 2 minutes, and then eventually carries on. But 3 minutes is excessive if I've only added one extra CD to the library!

P.S I love this Sony to pieces. I think maybe I was just unlucky and got a faulty one, but I'd like to check with other users in case it's how this particular model operates. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when the replacement comes.

Hey there,
I have none of the issues you mentioned! What a bummer... it sounds like you definitely have a defective unit. The back of mine has never gotten warm in the least, the headphones go in very easily (I actually thought mine was a tad loose!), and when it's 'creating library', it only takes about 30 seconds.

Get a replacement! ....and enjoy a correctly functioning one.

-Chris.

May 12, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 11
I bought my A829 in HK the same day that they were released. Yesterday my unit froze half-way through playing a track.
Pressing a pin in the reset hole cleared the screen but now the unit appears to be dead.
I tried to charge the unit up but the unit shows no sign of activity.
Resetting the unit doesn't seem to have a noticeable effect - the unit remains powered down
frown.gif

I believe I'm correct in saying that the warrantee on these things is not global - I'll have to send the unit back to a friend in HK and hope that he can have it exchanged for me....

I've gone back to using my A808 for now ..
frown.gif

May 12, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fooey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my A829 in HK the same day that they were released. Yesterday my unit froze half-way through playing a track.
Pressing a pin in the reset hole cleared the screen but now the unit appears to be dead.
I tried to charge the unit up but the unit shows no sign of activity.
Resetting the unit doesn't seem to have a noticeable effect - the unit remains powered down
frown.gif

I believe I'm correct in saying that the warrantee on these things is not global - I'll have to send the unit back to a friend in HK and hope that he can have it exchanged for me....
(

Oh no, that's sad
frown.gif

I think you're right that Sony doesn't offer international warranties. Well, I hope you manage to get it exchanged. It's clearly faulty. You should send the receipt back to your friend so there's no argument about exchanging it. Or can you send it back directly to the place where you bought it? Is it the Atrac version?

I got my replacement and it's working fine now thank goodness. Let us know how you get on with your exchange.

P.S Does the screen remain completely blank no matter what? Maybe once it's shut off completely (after 24 hours with no activity) - it might come back to life again once it's switched back on.

May 12, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 11
No matter what I do, it won't come back to life ...
I was thinking of openning it up and disconnecting the battery but no doubt that would void the warrantee. I'll try to leave it aside for a while and hope that it decides to co-operate.

BTW, you seem to have had a loada headphones - I'm looking for a nice in-ear pair - have had the Shure E210s before but I didn't think they sounded any good - at least not in comparison to my HD25s. Are the E420s any good?

Thanks.

May 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fooey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No matter what I do, it won't come back to life ...
I was thinking of openning it up and disconnecting the battery but no doubt that would void the warrantee. I'll try to leave it aside for a while and hope that it decides to co-operate.

BTW, you seem to have had a loada headphones - I'm looking for a nice in-ear pair - have had the Shure E210s before but I didn't think they sounded any good - at least not in comparison to my HD25s. Are the E420s any good?

Thanks.

I wouldn't disconnect the battery. If it was past its warranty, then yes - but don't give Sony any reason not to replace it!

Headphones: Mmmm, I've had quite a few and got rid of most of them
biggrin.gif

I can't recommend the SE420, they're overpriced and didn't perform well with my Sony (distant vocals made them sound weird!). Why don't you try the very affordable Denon AH-C551s if you can get them for a good price, or the C700s? Both of them out-perform the SE210 by a long shot - although the SE210s were very nice with simple acoustic music. But they didn't do well with anything more complicated. Try the Denons, they go really well with the Sony daps.

May 12, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 11
as usual, all players have units which escaped quality control and arrived at customer with some sort of defect, if you feel your player is not functioning correctly, please discuss the issue with the retailer or the manufacturer to see if its normal or the device needs to be exchanged, its your hard earned money, and you deserve to get what you paid for,

anyways, i' ve also heard comments about how the shure line dosnt play nice with sony, the heavy bass and distant vocals will be problematic with the signature deep bass roll off of sony daps, and somewhat weak mids, check out the denons or the jays,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back