Any other Iron Man fans here?
Apr 24, 2008 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

RedLeader

Headphoneus Supremus
I've loved Iron Man since my formative years, and the minute comic book movies became popular again I've been waiting for an Iron Man movie. With the new comic series and the AWESOME figures they've released now, it's a great time to be an Iron Man fan.

Anybody else search endlessly for back issues or have signed original Iron Man art on their walls?

Apr 24, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 39
I'm excited about Iron Man, but I never read much of the books. It looks like it's going to be nuts. It's funny you mentioned how long you had to wait; I remember reading an issue of Wizard just after the first X-Men came out and Iron Man was listed as "in production". And yet we got other, far more obscure titles before we get a clear blockbuster like this one. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comes to mind. And hey, Hellboy is right on ol' Iron Man's tail with a sequel coming soon.

If I had money I'd fund a Dr. Strange movie.

Apr 24, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 39
Ditto man. Ironman and spiderman were only comics I ever read I found in my grandparent's basement, all of which belonged to my long moved out uncle. They were all from the 60s and 70s.... I even read spiderman, #1. It was beat up so I doubt it was worth anything, but it was still cool to read the first few years of Spiderman.... but I always like Ironman more. A fantastically rich playboy with no super powers, just lots of money and technology smarts= great comic. I loved Ironman, and read a LOT of them, so yeah... out of all comicbook movies, this is the one I've been most excited about, EVER.

Plus, RDJ is PERFECT for Tony Stark. PERFECT. He plays an arrogant prick so well. I can't wait.

Apr 24, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 39
Yea, that was an amazing casting. Spiderman casting was utter crap, and I'm not just talking about spidy, MJ is a spunky redhead, not a blonde whiner. X-men had a bit better casting, but RDJ was a phenomenal choice. I hope the other choices work as well!

Apr 24, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 39
Popular again? Was there an earlier time (besides an occasional Superman series here and there across decades) where comic book flicks were popular? I thought that was only a recent phenomena (say 90s with Burtons Batman and all that came after). There were definitely television series, but I can't think of a similar period in film. Video game adaptations too (and there were certainly - from a modern perspective - opportunities with Zelda, Mario, etc.). Today I saw my first link to a song, Leroy Brown, starting the long process of becoming a film. Not sure what's next.

For the Iron Man fans, which I count myself as one, you may find this sequel talk interesting.

Apr 24, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 39
The original comics are so much better than the movies.... with the exception of "Unbreakable" wich was not a "remake" but developed the comic book superhero/villain themes well.

Apr 24, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 39
Well there are a bunch of non-comic book in basis, comic book in inspiration superhero films - Darkman, The Incredibles, upcoming Hancock, etc. Arguably there's more freedom to be a good film when requirements of being a faithful translation are removed. And when you think of the strongest achievements when they are comic book in origin, most recently Batman Begins, it seems it's in exploring new territory or in the case of American Splendor and Crumb, in mining autobiographical alternative comics.

X-Men, as well executed as they sometimes were, couldn't have been less inspiring. Last Superman? Ten times worse (missed the memo? It's about Clark Kent, not Superman). Translations can succeed, I'm most excited about Hellboy 2, but directors really have divorce themselves from simply a moving pictures comic book. Otherwise you end up with a Sin City. Crappy movie/fan lovefest. Looks like The Spirit is going to be the same (c'mon The Untouchable soundtrack?).

Anyway all this is only slightly related to topic. Sorry about that OP. Hope Iron Man is a blast.

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 39
I am surprised no mention of noland's batman- made it so modern and believable, can't wait till the 18th for that one but MAAAAAAAAAAAN oh man!!!! IRON MAN!!!!! quite possibly the best trailer ever made. I like the other casting as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 39
Haha, I didn't mean for it to turn into a debate, but I believe in letting threads go where they may
smily_headphones1.gif
See, I think a faithful recreation has ups and downs. The ups is that they can create a great fanfic, IF they keep everything close. If the screenplay is done faithfully and the casting is done well, the comic fans will (generally) be happy. However, comics are all about experiementing and doing new things with characters. I would be just as excited about an Iron Man movie that had his character but something never seen in any comic book as I am with this (somewhat faithful) modern recreation of his origin story. They've updated it anyways, and as long as they keep the integrity (or non in the case of Stark) of the actual character intact, I couldn't be happier!

That is one of the (many, many) reasons that Daredevil sucked so hardcore. His character is phenomenal. The problem was with the casting (Affleck? HOW does he keep getting work. And I don't care who you are, that was no where close to the real Kingpin) and the way the story played out. The screenplay was bad, the acting was horrendous and the fight scenes were stupid. I accept that people want to do origin stories, some of them are really cool. Some suck and really don't need to be put into film.

If they took the Daredevil character and did a whole brand-new story with him, something imaginative and only involving the comic books insomuch as Daredevil is there, I would be really happy.

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 39
Okay, one last comment then, as I think I have your permission RedLeader.
wink.gif

Maybe it's just that I'm a bigger fan of cinema than graphic novels (and extend to the lesser lights of each), but why aren't comic fans calling for graphic novel adaptations of their favorite movies? How would those play at the next comic con? Sure you've got some lame sci-fi cross over, but imagine if films weren't adapted to graphic novels strengths, but just became static movies?

Anyway, I don't mean to be so protective. I actually think the blockbuster list this year is far better than most, and I plan to see Iron Man, but just glance down this list. How many good films are there? No, not even Barb Wire.
wink.gif

I assume you guys saw the great Onion piece?

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #11 of 39
Iron Man is my favorite comic character. I collected the entire 1st series set of comics except for a handfull of issues (comic collecting was a former hobby before head-fi!) and i have waited a LONG time for this movie to be made. It looks fantastic and could be the movie of the year. Casting Michael Downey, Jr. was a good choice as he has been and can be a jerk just like Tony Stark. He also has had his bout with addiction like Stark. I think he knows how the character should be played. Special effects are what will make this movie the hit it should be and it couldn't have been earlier to best effect without them (today's effects).

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #12 of 39
There are some good movies, and some utter crap on that list. I would love for movies based on graphic novels. I actually think that'll be the next cinema push, as that's where the comic industry is heading. Graphic novels are actually outselling first-run comics now. (Which seems kinda silly, as where are the stories going to come from in the first place? Going to need _gasp_ new writing!)

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love for movies based on graphic novels.

I meant the other way around.
wink.gif

And of course there are a ton of films that are poor visual literary adaptations. I know there's a lot to spread around here. Just feel film is unfairly cheated from its strengths more than most mediums as it's more compromised. Would never expect the same from opera, pop music, graphic novels, etc.

Anyway, apologies to everyone. I did another off-topic cinematic rant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back