Any other company that makes high quality cables besides ALO?
Feb 15, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how's the AG-16 compared to the jumbo cryo or those 6 or 10 wires from ALO??

The AG-16 was just too much for me. Too much bass and it just seemed like the cable was trying too hard to be something that it wasn't. I'm sure for some it is an ideal sound, just didn't ever really do it for me.

The Jumbo Cryo is the best I have heard. The 6 wire jumbo and the 10 wire vampire were just too much of a good thing for me. Looking down at that big old wire connected to a Tomahawk and Nano just had me thinking that I was going overboard on the cable.

The real sweet spot if you want a step up in a cable yet not going completely crazy..a four wire Jumbo Cryo from ALO. Now that is a great balance of unbelievable sonics, while still able to maintain a small footprint overall. Same basic size and look of the three wire, just adds in a wire. Really a kick ass cable.

Ken also made me a four wire with two Jumbo Cryo wires and two 20 gauge silver wires. I'm stunned at the sound. Different than the four wire Jumbo Cryo...bigger soundstage, pinpoint imaging and scary clarity with the tight bass of silver. Without a doubt that is one cable that just keeps on getting better as I put more time on it.

Feb 15, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #17 of 31
Hi digihead,

Can you tell me what is a four wire Jumbo Cyro? My Jumbo Cyro has only 3 wires. Why don't you go for the MA mini-to-min?

Feb 15, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #18 of 31
^ yea

although I am thinking what is the point of the 4th wire? 2 for the ground? Will that really imrpove the sonics
confused.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by barqy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ yea

although I am thinking what is the point of the 4th wire? 2 for the ground? Will that really imrpove the sonics
confused.gif

Yes. From what I understand the fourth wire creates a second ground wire. Does it work...to me its a big step up in the already killer sonics of the Jumbo Cryo.

Feb 15, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #20 of 31
wow digihead, you're definitely a cable aficionado. are you collecting these cables or looking to find a perfect one and sell all the rest??

Feb 15, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. From what I understand the fourth wire creates a second ground wire. Does it work...to me its a big step up in the already killer sonics of the Jumbo Cryo.

Hmm, as long as you're happy then it's all good
smily_headphones1.gif

I think ill try to make one myself with 4 wires to see if it works with silver wire (maybe not though?), not sure if I have enough wire though
redface.gif

Hmmmm

Feb 16, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that ag-16 solid silver looks like the homegrown audio's silver braided speaker cable that costs $32 per 12 inches...LOL

http://www.homegrownaudio.com/silver_braid.htm

why don't you look at the specs of each on their respective websites?

wyvern audio's braid: sixteen 24AWG solid silver wires individually sleeved either in clear teflon tubing or in black teflon tubing.

homegrown audio's braid: sixteen 22AWG solid silver wires sleeved in a 1:1 mixture of clear and white teflon tubing.

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why don't you look at the specs of each on their respective websites?

wyvern audio's braid: sixteen 24AWG solid silver wires individually sleeved either in clear teflon tubing or in black teflon tubing.

homegrown audio's braid: sixteen 22AWG solid silver wires sleeved in a 1:1 mixture of clear and white teflon tubing.

i'm a noob in cables, so besides the difference in gauge, could you explain further in terms of the sleeves/tubing?

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm a noob in cables, so besides the difference in gauge, could you explain further in terms of the sleeves/tubing?

it's just a color difference. There are different kinds of Teflon and some are better then others, but there shouldn't be any difference sonically between colors (unless they use different types of Teflon and there are differences in sound signature between the different types of Teflon... which I am unsure about)

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Jumbo Cryo is the best I have heard. The 6 wire jumbo and the 10 wire vampire were just too much of a good thing for me. Looking down at that big old wire connected to a Tomahawk and Nano just had me thinking that I was going overboard on the cable.

The real sweet spot if you want a step up in a cable yet not going completely crazy..a four wire Jumbo Cryo from ALO. Now that is a great balance of unbelievable sonics, while still able to maintain a small footprint overall. Same basic size and look of the three wire, just adds in a wire. Really a kick ass cable.

Ken also made me a four wire with two Jumbo Cryo wires and two 20 gauge silver wires. I'm stunned at the sound. Different than the four wire Jumbo Cryo...bigger soundstage, pinpoint imaging and scary clarity with the tight bass of silver. Without a doubt that is one cable that just keeps on getting better as I put more time on it.

I am curious, you have 6 wire, 10 wire, and 4 wire jumbo... and a tomahawk. do they fit to the connector?
I wanted to buy the jumbo cryo 18 gauge from ken, but he said it doesn't fit.
Then Ray said it fits... I dont know who to listen to.
Does it fit your tomahawk? what about your two jumbo+two 20g silver? does it fit on tomahawk? how much you pay for it? Thanks.
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back