Any other college freshmen leaving soon?
Aug 11, 2007 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

LepakVT

100+ Head-Fier
I'm leaving this upcoming Wednesday and I'm having some mixed emotions. On one hand, I'm sure freshman year and my college years in general will be some of the best years of my life, but I'm going to miss everything and everyone here at home. And hopefully engineering doesn't kill me
tongue.gif

I can't believe I'm feeling a little homesick when I'm sitting in my bedroom
rolleyes.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 38
As a college sophomore, I can assure you the homesickness will most likely leave you after a week or so. You'll make friends who are starting fresh and probably homesick too, and soon you'll have a whole new life. Once next summer rolls around you'll barely be able to stand the wait to get back
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 38
I'm leaving on the 19th and I'm also going into engineering. I'm really not worried about being homesick, though. These are my main concerns:

1. Difficulty of my major
2. Meetings friends/getting along well with my roommate (I found out who he is about a week ago, but he doesn't seem to want to say much for some reason)
3. Theft of my laptop of headphone rig

I never really thought about feeling homesick, though I wouldn't be surprised if I started feeling it after a day or so.

Aug 11, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 38
yeah you'll be fine. as a college sophomore also, you'll get over it soon enough.

the only thing you might find yourself missing is the food
tongue.gif

sometimes you might miss the comfort of home... but i really didn't find it to be too big of a deal

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 38
I'm leaving September 8th. I've thought about being homesick, but I think I'll be fine. I'm only a 3 hour drive away from home, so I can come back any weekend I want to. Theft is definitely something that worries me. I have to think of a way to keep all my audio equipment and electronics safe.

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm leaving on the 19th and I'm also going into engineering. I'm really not worried about being homesick, though. These are my main concerns:

1. Difficulty of my major
2. Meetings friends/getting along well with my roommate (I found out who he is about a week ago, but he doesn't seem to want to say much for some reason)
3. Theft of my laptop of headphone rig

I never really thought about feeling homesick, though I wouldn't be surprised if I started feeling it after a day or so.

Which headphones are you taking?

I will be a sophomore in a couple weeks, and last year only brought a portable set up since I was worried about theft as well. Things ended up being very secure. As long as you lock your door when you and your room mate lock the door when not around, and you don't make it known how much your gear really is worth, I think it will be fine.

Good luck to everyone, things will turn out fine, but you still might have to work for it on the way.

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 38
One thing I'm looking forward to at Berkeley is meeting up with other Head-Fiers and trying out a bunch of new gear (K1000, GS1000, Zana Deux, Stello DA100, VDA-2, Esoteric DV-60, etc.)
3000smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which headphones are you taking?

I will be a sophomore in a couple weeks, and last year only brought a portable set up since I was worried about theft as well. Things ended up being very secure. As long as you lock your door when you and your room mate lock the door when not around, and you don't make it known how much your gear really is worth, I think it will be fine.

Good luck to everyone, things will turn out fine, but you still might have to work for it on the way.

I'm bringing the rig in my signature. I'm just concerned that I don't have to tell anyone how much some of my gear is worth to have somebody realize that it's valuable (The DAC has a gorgeous wooden faceplate, and the CD3000s look expensive in that they are very large and have their own dedicated case). The PINT is also really small and could be pocketed easily.

Perhaps I'm just being too cautious? Of course, I'll make sure to lock the room at all times, but this statement from the dorm rigs thread concerns me:

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doors have locks.

Students have bumpkeys

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 38
i wish i could have said that i looked forward to meeting up with fellow head-fiers when i went off to college last year... too bad i live in iowa
frown.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are bumpkeys?

Lock Bumping

Aug 11, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #15 of 38
I'm leaving the 6th, orientation starts the 8th I believe, and school starts about a week after that. My roommate is from Germany and he is a damn good artist, it's going to be interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back