Any other Amon Tobin fans?
Jul 12, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really loving the latest album and I urge any head-fier to listen to the track "Kitchen Sink" on their headphones!
eek.gif

Haha loving that track aren't you?
biggrin.gif

Anyone have his Solid Steel and Adventures in Foam (as Cujo) work? I need to pick up those 2 CDs and the Splinter Cell soundtrack to complete my collection (probably won't bother with Piranha Breaks).

My favourite would also have to be Permutation.

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha loving that track aren't you?
biggrin.gif

Anyone have his Solid Steel and Adventures in Foam (as Cujo) work? I need to pick up those 2 CDs and the Splinter Cell soundtrack to complete my collection (probably won't bother with Piranha Breaks).

My favourite would also have to be Permutation.

I used to have the Solid Steel live performance. I thought it was alright. It starts out great, but really starts to drag after the halfway point.

You should like the Chaos Theory OST. It's probably my favorite post Supermodified release. The DVD-A version of it is pretty nice as well.

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #19 of 21
Big fan here, too!

Bridge on Permutation is an amazing track as well, it is catchy, upbeat, and fun to listen to while driving
smily_headphones1.gif

I also thought the transition into a darker Chaos Theory demonstrated well Amon Tobin's range of production capabilities. I really liked the album, especially Lighthouse and El Cargo.

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #21 of 21
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Amon Tobin is David Lynch of music. No matter if it is creepy and dark or soft and slow at the moment, his music really makes imagination dance.

Listening to Bricolage and Supermodified makes me think that this guy has reached the ultimate in electronic music - it has the emotional power of rock, complexity of a full orchestra (polyrythms everywhere!), and intimacy nad personality of jazz.
Yet he does this all like without na effort - like he was some kind
of media that musics floats through.

Well if you like the sound of pre-supermodified Tobin buy Adventures in Foam, no questions asked! It has that signature sound of smoke-filled jazz club (this tempts me to buy HD 650) and its the most relaxing of Amon's albums. It's over 100 minutes long and should satisfy all detail/bass/mids/treble/sounstage freaks as the production is top notch.

If you like more of this kind of music you should try the Ninjatune label.
Bonobo's Days to Come is an absolute must - he's an old pal of Amon who tried it with orchestra and the effect is some of the most beatiful pieces i've
heard so far.
Also The Cinematic Orchestra is worth it, as they, like Tobin, make extensive use of old jazz recordings samples, however they learn to play them live and then record.
All of them share the same dreamy atmosphere like from a Lynch movie.
Hope this will make your life a little more pleasant
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back