Any other Amon Tobin fans?
Jul 10, 2007 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

nin3th

100+ Head-Fier
I just found out about them, and they're really amazing. I really enjoy their experimental electronica sound and how they blend everything together.

Jul 10, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nin3th /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any other Amon Tobin fans?

Yep, right here
smily_headphones1.gif

But, uh... "they?"

Jul 10, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 21
You just now finding out about him?
tongue.gif

Big time Tobin fan here, though I prefer his earlier albums by a fair margin, when he still had that "Jazzy" sound to his music. He pretty much dropped that style entirely by Supermodified. All his albums have uses though. Bricolage and Permutation for when I need to chill out, and everything post Supermodified for when I need to get up and go. The fact that he tries to change his style from album to album (most of the time successfully) is what makes him one of my favorite artists.

At least Amon is still putting out good music (really liked Foley Room), which is more than what I can say for my former favorite DJ Shadow (The Outsider...What!).

Jul 10, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Big time Tobin fan here, though I prefer his earlier albums by a fair margin, when he still had that "Jazzy" sound to his music. He pretty much dropped that style entirely by Supermodified. All his albums have uses though. Bricolage and Permutation for when I need to chill out, and everything post Supermodified for when I need to get up and go. The fact that he tries to change his style from album to album (most of the time successfully) is what makes him one of my favorite artists.

At least Amon is still putting out good music (really liked Foley Room), which is more than what I can say for my former favorite DJ Shadow (The Outsider...What!).

x2 on basically everything you said. I love Bricolage and Permutation way more than the later stuff. DJ Shadow.... Endtroducing was amazing, The Private Press was ok, The Outsider.... What?

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

tongue.gif

My apologies, I completely lost my head
blink.gif

X3. Reflects my opinion perfectly. I prefer Tobin far more because he is so consistently excellent. Shadow knows how to put on a good show though.

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My apologies, I completely lost my head
blink.gif

X3. Reflects my opinion perfectly. I prefer Tobin far more because he is so consistently excellent. Shadow knows how to put on a good show though.

Agreed. In Tune and On Time was fantastic!

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 21
His old school stuff is MUCH better. Listen to his Permutation CD. Original press, not rereleased (it doesn't sound as "analog"). Sordid is the track....it's rediculous.

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
His old school stuff is MUCH better. Listen to his Permutation CD. Original press, not rereleased (it doesn't sound as "analog"). Sordid is the track....it's rediculous.

Sordid is freaking crazy. Sordid and Sultan Drops are probably my two favorite Amon Tobin songs.

I wasn't aware that they rereleased any of his older albums, or are you referring to a vinyl release? Either way, whichever version I got sounds good to me.

Jul 12, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #14 of 21
Amon Tobin is the bees knees in experimental electronica, total genius imho. Permutation, Supermodified and Foley Room are my favourites.

Really loving the latest album and I urge any head-fier to listen to the track "Kitchen Sink" on their headphones!
eek.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Sordid is freaking crazy. Sordid and Sultan Drops are probably my two favorite Amon Tobin songs.

I wasn't aware that they rereleased any of his older albums, or are you referring to a vinyl release? Either way, whichever version I got sounds good to me.

Both vinyl release and the CDs from when they were originally released/debut. There are some that were rereleased, same covers and everything, but they seem to have a slight "volume wars" esque signature. Not bad by any means, but the originals are always primo IMO.

Amon Tobin is awesome, but Sordid just brings back so many memories of when I first heard him...dopeness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back