Any Orishas fans out there?
Jan 24, 2003 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

blip

Headphoneus Supremus
Just curious if anyone else has ever listened to a group called Orishas. They are a group of Cuban exiles that perform hip-hop mixed with a lot of merengue and other traditional latin forms.

I had copied a CD of their work from one of my professors a year ago or so and had largely forgot about it. Today I dusted it off and I have to admit that I was really impressed with it. Interesting, heavy beats combined with enthralling melodies. I like it! The only problem is that most of it is in Spanish and, I've heard, Italian and a traditional African language. It makes understanding lyrics a bit hard for a little English/German speaker like myself.
frown.gif
Ah well, I'll find a translation eventually.

Anyway, has anyone else heard them? If not, I highly recommend checking them out. They're quite refreshing after over-exposure to American hip-hop.

Jan 27, 2003 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 2
orishas are great. There second album is just as strong as their first; I have trouble deciding which I like more.
I don't recall any italian in their songs, but there are parts in french too. They're actually based in Paris now, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back