Any opinions for me? HD650
Apr 14, 2006 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GuOD

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I have some HD650s coming in soon and I was looking to get an amp to match them. Currently I use a PA2v2 but I'm guessing it's not beefy enough and won't really bring out the true HD650.

I was interested in a headroom micro DM but it looks like it will take 4+ weeks to get one, but I'm not even sure if it will be worth the wait. I also don't want to upgrade every other part I have so it might be overkill. Anyway, here is my setup and my requirements
smily_headphones1.gif

Audgiy 2 ZS --> Radioshack mini splitter --> Radioshack 10' mini-mini --> amp --> headphones.

As you can see, I have cheap wires and cheap adapters
smily_headphones1.gif

My preferences/requirements for an amp are as follows:

1. I will only be using it on my computer desk so it doesn't need to be tiny.

2. I prefer to use it without batteries and use A/C 100% of the time. (Batteries as a secondary option are fine of course!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

3. No need to buy upgraded wires/etc.

4. Will work well with HD650 (and possibly HD590/DT770)
smily_headphones1.gif

Price range I'm hoping is $300 new. I'd like to get cheaper if possible
wink.gif

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 10
if you are willing to wait. the headfive and a mini-RCA from cardas would be under 300 shipped. if not, then a gilmore light or a professionally built M^3 would be fine.

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 10
I would have said Gilmore Lite, but that would require you to buy a mini to RCA cable... Or something like the HeadFive might be nice, PIMETA, etc...

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 10
Get someone to build you a PINT and a power supply for less than $100 and call it a day
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the input. I will look into the suggestions above.

Sorry - I should've clarified. By no extra interconnects I meant no $100 wires
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't mind buying cheap mini-RCA

As for that $100 PINT+PSU, how would that compare to my PA2v2? It seems to be in the same price range = similar performance?

Thanks everyone!

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuOD
Thanks for the input. I will look into the suggestions above.

Sorry - I should've clarified. By no extra interconnects I meant no $100 wires
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't mind buying cheap mini-RCA

As for that $100 PINT+PSU, how would that compare to my PA2v2? It seems to be in the same price range = similar performance?

Thanks everyone!

nothing requires a 100$ wire...but you sure can get a mini-mini expensive wire if you want... but generally a well built wire will usually sound better than a cheap radio shack wire.

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #7 of 10
I'm looking for a similiar amp for my 600's. Size doesn't matter, so I'm looking at the gilmore size range, ac as well.

I've been offered a little dot II with upgraded tubes, but considering it retails for 120 USD, and I was looking at spending like $250, I'm not sure if I should consider it or not. Oh well, going to wait for some more offers in my WTT PSP FOR AMP thread.

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #8 of 10
if you dont need super, pocket portable, id say get one of these 3

gilmore light + power supply
PPA (hopefully with steps) MisterX makes beautiful ppa's
M3

whitney

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuOD

Thanks everyone!

The PSU (a TREAD) itself will give you regulated power. The PINT will pump out more current and can have a higher voltage swing than the PA2v2; the 3-channel architecture adds more technical performance. I do think it is an upgrade to the PA2v2. The PINT is nearly identical to the Mini^3 circuit; people at the last NorCal meet said the Mini^3 can compete with the full-blown M^3. If you do get the PINT though, I'd ask the builder to Mini^3-ify it (the builder would know what this means).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back