Any one tried calling LC Audio?
Aug 9, 2007 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SonicDawg

1000+ Head-Fier
As some of you may know, with the LC Audio's bad (read: extremely bad) customer service, has anyone tried calling them directly on the number listed on their website? I have recently mailed in my Zapfilter package because of bad humming issue, which they have ignored basically in emails. It's been more than a week since I have mailed the package to them (to Denmark, outrageous postage cost notwithstanding) and I have not heard from them. Not email. Nothing. I wonder whether I should try calling them, with a great apprehension of further disappointment, regarding my package's arrival and repair.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 8
Dude you probably won't hear from them. Hopefully they will at least
send you back another one, but don't count on it.

Next time deal with partsconnexion the North American distributor.

I tried dealing with LC and it was a disaster. They sent me the wrong
transformer for the psu, and I had to by another toroid on my own to
make it work with 120v. The psu board also had a diode reversed
which blew another diode, so I had to repair it myself...

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 8
WTH
mad.gif
Do they not like business or what?!

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 8
SonicDawg,

What value of power supply shunt resistors do you have? Some were shipped with 100 Ohm resistors which don't supply enough voltage to the output board to burn off the PS ripple in the regulation. You need 68 Ohm resistors if this is the case.

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by M_Anker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SonicDawg,

What value of power supply shunt resistors do you have? Some were shipped with 100 Ohm resistors which don't supply enough voltage to the output board to burn off the PS ripple in the regulation. You need 68 Ohm resistors if this is the case.

Hmm... That's strange. I have been advised to use resistors from 47ohm to 56ohm. With both values the problem persists. I haven't tried the 68 ohm ones though... Oh well, the package is in Denmark right now.

Update: I emailed their tech support and they actually emailed me back, notifying me that the package's been received. Looks like they are not as dire as I am convinced of. Let's see how this will go.

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 8
56 Ohm will work, but they're a bit hot. 68 to 75 is optimal. The Europeans don't understand that 60Hz power packs a bit more energy than their 50Hz version, not to mention that our light bulbs don't flicker.

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 8
New update:

Contrary to my previous feeling about LC Audio and the general impressions people tend to have of them, I must reinstate their positive customer service.

First of all, of those that have tried emailing them about order inquiries or technical support, do not email to their general info email address. As I have tried on many occasions that my emails never get answered. However, if you directly contact their tech support agents, your exprience should improve very much. As some of you may know, my zapfilter was plagued with humming issue that I could not resolve for a long time. After exhausting all options (including switching resistors on the PSU board), I decided to contact LC Audio for some help. I emailed Gert Frederiksen (their technie, I think) about my problem and she VERY promptly replied my emails, usually within one day due to our time differences. I eventually mailed my entire components, including PSU, tranny and the Zapfilter board to Denmark (be forewarned, postage ain't cheap
mad.gif
) for an inspection. It turned out that I damaged the PSU and the Zapfilter board due to my inexperienced tempering of the resistors. After a few exchanges of email, I was able to obtain a replacement (with a fee, of course. Since it was my fault) unit, which I got just recently. The new unit functions perfectly without any hum problem, and they have replaced the previous 100ohms to 56ohms.

Hopefully with this long post I am able to palliate some of the negative impressions I previously imparted to this community regarding LC Audio. I must say I am very surprised by the level of attention I got from Gert (Kudos to her!)

Finally, you can email her directly for any technical problems:
Gert Frederiksen
gf@lcaudio.dk

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 8
Good to hear a positive response was made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back