Any one know how the R70x compares to the HE-400s?
Mar 5, 2017 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

genclaymore

Headphoneus Supremus
I been trying to find out if any one compared the Audio Technica R70x to the HE-400S, So far I haven't found any thing. So I wondered has any one here used or own both of them. I have my mind kinda set on the R70x but I wanted to know how the HE-400s compare to them. Yea I do have an HD700, but I planning to move away from them due to not enjoying them any more.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #2 of 2
Suggest you start here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765004/audio-technica-ath-r70x-in-depth-review-impressions

In short response, though these aim to do similar things, though they also sound almost polar opposite to my ears in many ways. The 400s is an easy going headphone, but it still leaves a few of the rough edges audible - enough so that it started me down the path to 400i and 1000. But those headphones combine a smoother sound with brighter, more detailed sound. I've not heard the Edition X, which may be the ultimate balance, but I would also have wished it cost $500 - so I did not pursue the $1000+ headphone.

The ATH-R70x sounded initially quite dark, but soon revealed many details. It has a much higher impedance, so you'll need to use an appropriate amplifier. An OTL tube would likely be a great match. The bass has some distortion, but I did not personally find it overwhelming. It was better though with Jazz or acoustic music rather than Hip Hop or Rock with hard, deep bass. I could see having a NOS DAC, OTL tube, and the R70x headphone, and just loving Jazz forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back