Any One Else Agree That IEMs Using Portable DAC/AMP yields little to no improvement? Agree or Disagree?
Apr 8, 2019 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

F208Frank

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I received my A18t by 64 Audio and when plugging into S9 Samsung phone directly versus using external dac/amp, the results seem so similiar that I can not differentiate the difference.

Anyone else feel dacs/amps for IEMs not doing much?

Discussions welcome!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 9
I think the main points of using external dac/amp is to ensure low source's output impedance/ to avoid hiss noise. BTW, since many phones don't have headphone jack nowadays, using dac/amp becomes necessary if you want to use phone as audio source (except for blue-tooth iems)......Apple lightning dongle is external dac/amp as well.

Apr 8, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 9
In my case, the work computer was incredibly noisy. Signal from the USB mouse could sometimes be heard from the headphone jack (i.e. as long as I had the left mouse button pressed, there was a tone that could be heard). The dac/amp bypassed the terrible headphone jack.

Some things do not need it. My ipod sounds great from the headphone jack. My phone could use an external dac/amp as I do hear a low hiss/hum whenever the headphone jack turns on (it turns off if no audio plays for awhile, but opening an app that involves audio then turns it on and it is an audible noise level).

Your Samsung phone could just have a good headphone jack/dac.

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 9
I don’t know what DAC/AMP you are using, but I can clearly hear the difference between the phone, and all my DACs/DAPs
Out of them my favorite without doubt is the Chord Mojo, but the Sony NW ZX2 is also good.

Even the HiBy R3 is a big improvement over the iPhone or iPad pro, it’s clear and has a sparkly treble, but the Mojo has a certain smoothness and naturally detailed sound that I just miss when I listen to the other sources.

The differences are in some way subtle though, not more this or more that, but rather the way the music is conveyed, at least that’s what the Mojo does.
It pulls me into the music, makes me tap my feet, and occasionaly I get goosebumps!

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 9
I get noticeably better sound using my desktop DAC amp and my Etys vs. using my phone and a $50 DAC amp portable setup. A pair of HiFi IEMs with that nice flat sound will still appreciate good upstream components, even if they are being driven loud enough by the phone...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back