Any on-ears better than Beyerdynamic T51i ?
Nov 17, 2018 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Taz777

1000+ Head-Fier
I’m not a big headphone listener and have a set of in-ear Beyerdynamics for my evening walks and travel. I’ve also got a pair of T51i headphones for casual listening at home via iPhone and iPad. I get a bit claustrophobic with over-ear headphones so prefer on-ear ones.

I’m looking for some recommendations on getting even better performance than the T51i with a similar warm and smooth sound delivery. Budget would be up to 500GBP - around 600USD.

My future plan is to get an Audioquest Dragonly Red portable DAC.

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 8
If you're using Apple products, the Audeze Sine with Cipher cable might be your best bet. Comfort isn't the best but the clamp can be adjusted by bending out the headband.
So far I'm liking mine very much. Check if your local Apple store carries it so you can test it first.

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 8
If you're using Apple products, the Audeze Sine with Cipher cable might be your best bet. Comfort isn't the best but the clamp can be adjusted by bending out the headband.
So far I'm liking mine very much. Check if your local Apple store carries it so you can test it first.

These seem to have a lot of tech built into the cable. Do you know whether or not they use a digital bitstream from an iPhone and then use their own DAC to provide the analogue audio?

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #8 of 8
These seem to have a lot of tech built into the cable. Do you know whether or not they use a digital bitstream from an iPhone and then use their own DAC to provide the analogue audio?

The Cipher cable is just an external DAC/amp+DSP built it into the cable, so yeah it takes digital out from iPhone and does the DA conversion and EQ inside.
Basically with the Cipher, you don't need to buy the Audioquest Dragonfly (except if you have other use for it, like for laptop or something).
Also the Sine with the 3.5 cable is pretty hard to drive. My LG G6 with the Quad DAC struggled driving it at 70/75 volume. None of my Thinkpad laptops could even drive it to my listening volume.
But now I'm using it with iPhone 6S and Cipher, all is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back