any nina simone fans out there???
Jul 6, 2006 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jumping jupiters

100+ Head-Fier
heard the "sinnerman" song on an movie that is now 5 or 10 years old..."thomas crown affair". really sounded great...was searching borders for a new album...saw the soundtrack for the movie...caught the artist name...went over to the jazz section...picked up a double disk. can't stop listenning to the album...it appears that she recorded in the 70's through the early 90's...can't wait to find some vinyl!

Jul 6, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 13
She started recording in 1958. Her first recording is available on CD, it's called Little Girl Blue, and I highly recommend it.

It can be a bit hard to find in stores.

That record also contains the song of hers used a few years ago in a Chanel No.5 commercial, which sparked a mini-resurgence of interest in her. That song is "My Baby Just Cares for Me."

Jul 6, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumping jupiters
heard the "sinnerman" song on an movie that is now 5 or 10 years old..."thomas crown affair". really sounded great...was searching borders for a new album...saw the soundtrack for the movie...caught the artist name...went over to the jazz section...picked up a double disk. can't stop listenning to the album...it appears that she recorded in the 70's through the early 90's...can't wait to find some vinyl!

Sinnerman; that's a great song! I recall first hearing it on Thomas Crown Affair as well. Unfortunately, a movie called Cellular butchered it when they decided to include it as part of their soundtrack and give it a hip-hop techno feel.

Jul 6, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
Sinnerman; that's a great song! I recall first hearing it on Thomas Crown Affair as well. Unfortunately, a movie called Cellular butchered it when they decided to include it as part of their soundtrack and give it a hip-hop techno feel.

Totally agree. I dig the original so much, and what they did to it is nothing short of tragic.

Jul 6, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 13
i only have her Anthology, but i love to get lost in it. the breadth of Nina Simone's talent amazes me, and at the very least, she was woefully underrated.

Jul 6, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 13
Nina Simone is awesome. The track "feeling good" (Muse covered it on "origin of symmetry" rather well actually) is my favourite, when she finished the awesome scat solo in the middle and the band drops back in with the fattest brassiest dirtiest backing on earth... it's real shivvers-down-your-spine stuff!

Jul 7, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 13
Wild Is The Wind is my favorite. I remember getting chills the first time I heard it.

Jul 7, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen
Wild Is The Wind is my favorite. I remember getting chills the first time I heard it.

Mine too, it is haunting. She can use her voice like a contortionist can use thier body. There are recordings of that song that are of audiophile quality. On the album "finest hour" is the one that I have.

Jul 7, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #11 of 13
The 'Tomato Sessions' (double CD on Tomato) are great. She finds a groove that few others did in the 50's - early 70's, or since,...ala' Nina Nastascio, Billie Holiday, and Neko Case rolled into a joint and smoked late night. She writes, sings, and plays piano brilliantly...

Jul 8, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 13
nice guys...i thought this might be an ignored thread...there is such a wealth of musical knowledge on this sight...this section is one my favorite places to visit. anthology is the album i picked up...really well recorded.

jonnyhambone: thanks for listing a few others...i'm going to have to listen to the few i haven't heard of yet...it really amazes me that they're artist out there this talented that i haven't heard of yet.

i understand that nina spent the latter half of her career in europe. apparently that is where her fan base really openned up.

lately i have found myself listening to artist like raberta flack and nina simone...something about that soul era!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back