Any news on the many chinese-cheap Dacs that were so promising a while ago ?
Dec 1, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 10
well, im now the proud owner of a fully modded "Zhalou 1.3" dac...

out of box all I have to say is... damn .. nice...

it needs LOTS of burn in ... so in about 100 hours I will report back...

also I own the Lite Dac-ah (stock)... and right now the Zhalou is own-ing it.

But i will give detailed thoughts once they are fully burned in and I have installed the "dy2000" op amp into the Zhalou... (it already has the clock and power upgrades)

I think these were pretty much the top 2 chinese dacs right now, anyone else have experience with others?

My friend will probably post his impressions as well (he also ordered a Zhalou, we ordered them together), he is at about 72 hours of burn in right now.... but he wants to wait for another 72 hours of burn in before critically listening....

same with me...

Dec 1, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigzStudio
well, im now the proud owner of a fully modded "Zhalou 1.3" dac...

out of box all I have to say is... damn .. nice...

it needs LOTS of burn in ... so in about 100 hours I will report back...

also I own the Lite Dac-ah (stock)... and right now the Zhalou is own-ing it.

But i will give detailed thoughts once they are fully burned in and I have installed the "dy2000" op amp into the Zhalou... (it already has the clock and power upgrades)

I think these were pretty much the top 2 chinese dacs right now, anyone else have experience with others?

My friend will probably post his impressions as well (he also ordered a Zhalou, we ordered them together), he is at about 72 hours of burn in right now.... but he wants to wait for another 72 hours of burn in before critically listening....

same with me...

I second that.The fully modded "Zhalou 1.3" dac is very good!I have maybe 600+ hours on mine and it is singing better than ever.It does seem to take awhile for burn in though.

Also i leave it on all the time.I noticed from a cold start it takes awhile before the music sounds right.The mod i did is----

I replaced 3 caps on the power board with rubycons and used soundcoat to dampen the entire chassy.Even under the transformer and power board.this also gave a nice improvement.I may play around with replacing some resistors in the future ,but the darn thing sounds so good right now.

I use an adapter called ice so i can use any powercord.

Thats all i have done to mine.
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 10
u have a link to where u got the "ice" adapter ?!? this stock power cord is major hurt sauce! very thin and chinsy.

Dec 1, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigzStudio
u have a link to where u got the "ice" adapter ?!? this stock power cord is major hurt sauce! very thin and chinsy.

This is a link so you can see it

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...rd=ice+adapter

I purchased mine from a reseller on audiogon for 25$ delivered,but i can't remember the name of his business.He was down in fl.

Dec 1, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 10
wewt! nice, thanks RogerWilco!

I think I may get that, what power cord do you normally use with your components?

Dec 8, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 10
OMG guys,

you dont even understand how AWESOME this Zhalou fully modded dac sounds right now....

I just popped in the DY2000 chip... OMG... its insane.. is all i can say right now... too busy listening....

i have about 100 hours on it.... ill post my full review in a thread when i have 180 hours or 200 hours on it....

but for now it already sounds freggin ridiculous....

I would put money up saying this thing can match the level of the Eastsound cd-e5.....

every cd i play i dont want to change any tracks....

icon10.gif
eek.gif

BTW, stating the obvious here but.. it uterly destroys the stock dac-ah.

i havent even had a single thought about the dac-ah since i been listening to this beast.....

Dec 8, 2005 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 10
Dec 8, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 10
haha nice find JonL !! woot.

glad I didnt buy mine yet. time to get some custom power cords for this zhalou, i dont know how it could sound any better then it already does! but imma accessorize it anyways.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back