Any new portables on the horizon?
Jan 26, 2006 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Medikit

100+ Head-Fier
I was really excited about getting the X5l but now I'm kind of disappointed. Are there any better players coming out this year that I should wait for?

My intention is to have my mp3 player act mainly as a line out for my car use it as a portable for trips and as a means of transfering gigabyte+ files in class. Unfortunetly it looks like the Iaudio has a weird line out, has poor software, and has a mediocre dac (like most portables).

The iPod is the other player I'm considering but it seems like it's dac is also pretty mediocre and it doesn't support drag and drop. In addition it has about half the battery length as the X5l.

Any idea what is on the horizon and if it is worth waiting for?

Jan 26, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 13
line out isnt a problem on my X5, just use the headphone jack.

you dont even need software for the X5L. just drag and drop in windows explorer. you will, however, need the software for playlists and converting videos.

dont know what DAC stands for...

i love my X5, though i wouldn't have minded the X5L for the battery. only annoyance is sub-pack, but its not that big of a deal.

also, check out creative's new Zen Vision:M

Jan 26, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein
ipod supports drag and drop for file storage...you just need iTunes for adding music.

That's kind of like saying: "This environmentally friendly car runs without a motor or engine...as long as you're going downhill."
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
That's kind of like saying: "This environmentally friendly car runs without a motor or engine...as long as you're going downhill."
wink.gif

Actually it's very applicable for me because I said I need to transfer files in class. I'm going to have to look a little more into the ipod now.

Isn't there a problem with the lineout on the ipod too?

Jan 26, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 13
I love my X5 but am waiting for the iAduio 6 for compact duties. Extremely small form factor with a .85" hard drive.

Jan 26, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 13
OMG--IPODS SUPPRT DRAG AND DROP, I DO IT ON MINE. I'VE NEVER USED ITUNES WITH AN IPOD. FUNK THAT.

I just use third party software, never had a problem.

Jan 26, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medikit
Isn't there a problem with the lineout on the ipod too?

hmm, not sure what you are refering to, but iPod is one of the player out there with decent lineout.

Jan 27, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
hmm, not sure what you are refering to, but iPod is one of the player out there with decent lineout.

Thanks Solvexyz. What's the best option for car listening?

I'm consider battery powered + turbodock Versus car powered adapter that actually sounds good but doesn't cost $100. Haven't found the second one yet though
frown.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14
line out isnt a problem on my X5, just use the headphone jack.

you dont even need software for the X5L. just drag and drop in windows explorer. you will, however, need the software for playlists and converting videos.

dont know what DAC stands for...

i love my X5, though i wouldn't have minded the X5L for the battery. only annoyance is sub-pack, but its not that big of a deal.

also, check out creative's new Zen Vision:M

^agreed. I only got my X5L last week or so and am very pleased. It's headphone jack is awesome too... If you are considering iAudio, get the X5L, it's worth it for the extended battery life.

There is no prob with the sub pack at all. This player was so easy to use just out of it's box. Dag and drop, rip, encode, transfer data files....it's very simple with iAudio. I think the software with the player works just fine too. I'm not sure why you think the software is 'weird'?, you'll have no trouble tranfering files for classes, and I couldn't see why the headphone jack can't be used in your car.. the headphone jack is as good as any line out from an iPOD I have ever used/heard. It's a great all round player IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back