Any New developments~Re-DAC/AMP`s For TABLETS??
Jun 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ipadman

New Head-Fier
[size=small]Hello Everyone,
It as being a long time since I last posted.
I wanted to see if their were any new developments re the DAC/AMP use with TABLET`s?

I have re-read  threads both here and @ Computer audiophile which were very interesting.

I have being waiting to choose my TABLET so I could buy one than supported AMP/DAC?If any one as any feedback or advice I would be very interested to hear,most of my music files are 24/96

Many Thanks In Advance
Regards Steve[/size]

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 14
The one I've been watching and recently listened to at the Newport Audio Show is the HiFi-M8. http://centrance.com/products/hifi-m8/

Great sound with tuning capabilities to match your headphones. It's battery operated and rechargeable. I own the DACport by the same company which works great with my MacBook but needs a battery powered USB hub for the iPad. I didn't do a side by side comparison but my initial impression was that the sound signature was similar but with a bit more depth behind it. I also liked the ability to use hard switches to modify treble and base. The HiFi-M8 is supposed to start shipping any day now. I'll probably get one soon.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 14
I recently demoed the new Hisense Sero 7 Pro tablet that Walmart sells for $150. Very comparable to the Nexus 7 in overall performance, but with a micro SD card slot. I tried it with my ODAC and it worked fine.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 14
bigsmile_face.gif
Hello Mbritt,
Really must thank you,for a very interesting reply.I have just looked at your link to Centrance and the HIFI-m8 sounds very good.I had heard of Dac Ports,but had never gone beyond reading about them?

If I have understood corectly the HIFIM8 can only be used withe IPAD,is this correct.I was thinking of maybe some options for Android devices.

I have nothing against IPAD as such,but like the sound of some of the Android models.

Regards Steve
beerchug.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 14
I have nothing against IPAD as such,but like the sound of some of the Android models.[/SIZE]

If you are using digital audio out to a DAC, then there should be no significant difference in sound between iPad and Android other than if the particular media player app has some better DSP.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 14
bigsmile_face.gif
Hello

cel4145

Good to hear from you,much appreciated.
have I got it wrong? I thought finding an AMP/DAC for android was a bit of a problem
confused_face(1).gif
everything I have read or thought I had read to date states that partnering an external AMP/DAC with android tablet`s was problamatic

I must admit I am no techy so excuse me if I have got wrong end of stick

Best wishes Steve
beerchug.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 14
Right. It can be a problem.

First, the tablet has to support USB audio out. That's the problem with the Google Nexus 7. Even though it has the correct Android version for USB audio out support, Asus for some reason does not have the feature enabled.

Then, some USB DACs and DAC/amps may need more power than a specific tablet can supply.

Now if you are using a separate headphone amp and DAC instead of combined DAC/amp, you can use whatever amp you want; the amp can run off its own power supply. Now this is just a guess, but the combined DAC/headphone amps might be a problem *if* the combined unit is pulling power from the tablet for both the DAC and amp. I'm guessing that's why the FiiO E17 probably doesn't work as a USB device with tablets.

However, were you responding to my comment above about iPad and Android regarding difference in SQ with attached DAC and headphone amp via digital audio out? If you are using that (not their built in capabilities), likely iPad and Android should have the same sound. Although there are minor differences in media players. Many people seem to prefer Neutron over Power Amp on Android (the two most popular media players) because of better SQ. Not sure how much that is true, but Neutron does have fancier DSP capabilities, including PEQ instead of graphical EQ. So you can fine tune it more. What the iPad media players are like, I can't tell you. I'm an Android fan, too :)

Jun 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 14
Hello again cel4145

I am really obliged for your terrific answer and explination,as I said in an earlier comment I am not very tech minded so find it a bit difficult to understand all the techno stuff, but I understood about 80% of your reply so that`s progress for me!
redface.gif

I just received a most interesting reply from Centrance,whom I mailed re their HIFIM8 :-

Quote:
  Thank you for your interest. HiFi-M8 will work with the iPad. It
    will also work with some Android tablets, but we cannot guarantee
    compatibility with all of them yet, because they all come from
    different manufacturers. Some Android tablets have audio enabled,
    others don't.

We will be testing this in the coming weeks and will publish our
    results. At first, we are focused on Apple products.

We will ship the necessary cables with the HiFi-M8. We are looking
    for dealers in Norway, meantime, we can sell you one direct from US.

Best Regards,

Quote:
Then, some USB DACs and DAC/amps may need more power than a specific tablet can supply

Yes I am beginning to understand  this issue!

As you say SQ  differences are not great between Apple & Android.and I am not against Ipad but just think you have more flexibility with Android and of course more choice of Tablets.I like the sound of the new ASUS infinity (details to be announced as well as delivery) but if I understand correctly ASUS really not compatible with any AMP/DAC Combo at present? wonder if the SONY Xperia Z offers a better chance?

I am in no great hurry so have time to wait and see what happens and then make a considered choice

Once again many thanks For a superb Reply

regards Steve
beerchug.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 14
As you say SQ  differences are not great between Apple & Android.and I am not against Ipad but just think you have more flexibility with Android and of course more choice of Tablets.I like the sound of the new ASUS infinity (details to be announced as well as delivery) but if I understand correctly ASUS really not compatible with any AMP/DAC Combo at present? wonder if the SONY Xperia Z offers a better chance?

Every smartphone, mp3 player, and tablet has a DAC and headphone amp built in. That is the largest determinant of sound quality if you play the same song across multiple devices. Some will sound better; some worse. So if you have bypass the internal DAC and headphone amp in a device with an external DAC and headphone amp, theoretically, it will pretty much play the same song the same way on any device you use that external DAC and amp with--laptop, tablet, or smartphone. The media player app or software on a device can make a difference, but the DAC and headphone amp are by far the largest determinant of audio quality.

USB audio support was added for Android Jelly Bean. So a USB DAC possibly could work with any tablet with Android 4.1 or higher with tablet with a USB connector unless the manufacturer disabled it. It definitely does not work with the Nexus 7. I don't know about the other Asus tablets. Could be it's disabled. Might not be. The only way to find out is either (a) try it for yourself or (b) find other people that have had success.

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 14
I must thank you once again for another superb answer
I have learned more in a few short replies than I had ever before and for that I am very grateful.

Quote:
(b) find other people that have had success.

Yes I must just wait now and see which Android Tablets are shown to support  a DAC/AMP?otherwise I may just go for an IPAD although this would not be my first choice!

Once again many thanks for your assistance

Regards Steve
beerchug.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 14
Yes I must just wait now and see which Android Tablets are shown to support  a DAC/AMP?

Or research the ones that are already out. I know that some of the Samsung's support USB audio out. If you google the tablet model and "usb audio support," you'll likely find the ones that do.

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 14
 Hello
Yes I wil and am checking out the current situation by contacting each of the tablet makers,but trying to get straight answers has proved difficult.for example SAMSUNG simply did not reply

all the best Steve
beerchug.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #13 of 14
The tablet makers aren't likely to give you straight answers, and neither are the DAC/headphone amp makers. They aren't likely to have tested their equipment with the various options. You have to search Internet forums and find where people have confirmed what tablets work with USB audio and what DACs do. That's why I said to use google :)

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #14 of 14
Hello Again,
Good to hear from you
I have reserched this question prior to asking the questions in this thread,I have googled and more and found little?where I did find answers they were similar to the ones you have given,and as I said I learnt more from you in a few short answers than I had in all my searching...
I could of course have missed some DAC/AMP answers on the net?

Best wishes Steve
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back