Any Naruto fans?
Apr 29, 2006 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
So ive been watching this show and its really entertaining. Im on episode 87 or so, the episodes seem shorter than most cartoons? maybe about 15 minutes an episode, without the intro and recaps and such. So I was zipping through the story lines and sub plots really quickly late at night before some shut eye.

anyhow, tonight they were playing an episode on Cartoon network, I was listening to the voice overs and pronuncions of the character names and they didnt sound like the Japanese counterparts? Orimichu(sp?)
he had a girls voice, but he's supposed to be male in the Japanese version, did they switch his gender for US release? the kind of ruins the creepiness his character had.

Also noticed the names were pronounced really wrong? instead of nah-ru-toh
it sounded more like naah-row-tow

I watched the last 3 minutes of the english version, it seems like some shots were stilled to edit out some content and american voice overs placed to fill in during the stilled shots.

I also noticed some terms changed? instead of Chakra its called "something chi".

was the American Naruto series really butchered as much as I think it was?
in the american plot has anything been changed in the story line to suit more family friendly television? I kind of want to keep up with the US release just to see how much of it was altered for Americans.

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 22
never watched any of the Cartoon Network series. Been watching religiously every week for a few years now.

When you catch up to the fillers set (150-180??) yea...nothing to do with the story. Just filler episodes. They really suck. Total disappointment.

But they should be over soon and will be returning to the comic storyline.

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 22
Yes, I have just started watching the series from the beginning and I love it! I am on ep. 32 at the moment, but I suspect that I will be caught up without much delay
biggrin.gif

As far as the American dub, yes, I have seen bits and pieces of it, but every time, it is so bad that I just turn it off. The dub is horrible! Not only do the voices sound bad, but the names of the jutsu's have been completely changed and sound wimpy in contrast. I mean, in the heat of battle, are you really going to take seriously an opponent that shouts "Art of the Doppelganger!"?? Kage Bunshin no Jutsu sounds so much cooler and more powerful. They really have watered it down for the American audience, as it is directed more towards the early teens and below, whereas the original Japanese version is decidedly more adult in content. It really takes away from the emotional content carried in the artform.

That is one of my main complaints with dubs. The English voices very rarely carry that same emotional content that you can hear in the Japanese version. This makes it sound decidedly inferior. I think that this is why Anime sometimes gets a bad reputation in the US as another cheap Japanese product. In fact, on a slight aside (but still influenced by the Anime that appears on normal TV programming), my parents have gone so far to say that no animated medium is worth watching, as they are meant for those with inferior intellectual capacity. I beg to differ on this point. Animation is just another medium through which to create art. It allows for far more freedom in what is possible than live action. Anyways, I won't pursue this since we can make another thread if we so wish. </end rant>

But yes, Naruto wa totemo sugoi desu yo!

Aditya

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 22
I stopped watching at around 160. It just got too boring with all the fillers. Waiting for some action before I zip through the episodes.

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #6 of 22
I watched it up until the "filler" episodes (although most of it is filler anyway) and then became disillusioned and stopped watching.

The american version, wow, that's all I can say about that. On new years or something Cartoon Network had a run of it and I couldn't stop laughing out loud, it was seriously the worst dub job I've ever seen. The characters were nothing like their japanese counterparts and pronunciations ... wow, in general they're just awful. It made for a good laugh but I'm past Naruto now.

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 22
I've been following Naruto since it started, but I've recently stopped when it hit the fillers. Pure crap from many people's point of view. Fillers start at about 135, after the "fight." The manga continues with the story and things are just starting to get interesting.
icon10.gif

I've caught a few minutes of the American version I found it hard to watch anymore without suffering brain damage. It is watered down and it annoys me that they keep some of the Japanese names but change others, it makes the whole series feel weird.
confused.gif
I can't stand how American companies seem to have the need to butcher anything foreign simply for the sake of making sure the American audience "understands" what is going on... I'll stop my ranting there.
mad.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 22
I watched naruto to episode 158, I think and really liked it a lot.
it is one of the more cheesy animes out there but its somehow nice to watch narutos character develope. I have to aggree(sp?) on what you said about the english dub, it just plainly sucks. ther voices are silly, unemotional, the pronounciation is just wrong and dont even get me started on the cuts, changes and oruchimarus voice.

I have to admit that i hated subbed anime in the past but "Elfen Lied" really got me into anime, I even learned some japanese and still want to learn more, and nowadays i watch most anime subbed because most of the other dubs just suck

Apr 29, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 22
Haha. Naruto. I haven't liked it at all since after the Chunin exam. The latest manga chapters have also lost their style. I'm not much of a Naruto-fan anymore I guess. People make fun of "Narutards". It looks like I've become to dislike narutards as well. So basically whenever a discussion of Naruto comes up, I often feel so tired to even respond. So I'll just make a few comments.
tongue.gif
Firstly, I am disgusted by those who think Naruto (or Bleach for that matter) is inherently superior to Dragon Ball Z. I personally think they're all nicely done shounen series. The heated flaming just makes everyone angrier.
tongue.gif
We all know that most people think Dragon Ball is stupid and "gay". But Naruto is no different, but there seems to be a large mass of people who think Naruto is some "godly" anime. Secondly, please do NOT support NarutoFan.com. Note that what Tazmo (the owner) is doing is horrendous. His subscription service makes you pay money for otherwise free anime fansubs and fan manga scanlations. Fansubbing groups simply hate him. He urges other people to donate money to the site but he uses the money to buy a ton of new toys. New computer, new laptop, and etc. Thousands of people who had been tricked by Tazmo in the past have now learned the truth. Check out www.stoptazmo.com for the other side of the story. Thirdly, I am an admistrator at a large Naruto fansite. (I won't link to it since I'm not here to promote things, but it's the 3rd result when you type in "Naruto" in a Google search.
tongue.gif
) Isn't funny how I'm not a fan of Naruto but have a Naruto fansite? haha

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 22
It was good up 'til the fillers started. I usually don't mind filler all that much, but Naruto has the worst filler eps I've ever tried to watch, so I stopped watching until it stops. Nothing has irritated me quite so much as "curry of life".

And the Naruto dub/edits on CN aren't great, but if you want truly ruined versions of dubs compared to great subs, I can think of much worse coughONEPIECEcough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back