Any metal-heads here?
Mar 24, 2004 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Porksoda

500+ Head-Fier
So I am planning on buying some cans late this spring or perhaps this summer as I am getting dissatisfied with my HD497s. I've heard a lot of good things about the grados, and they seem like a good choice.

I listen to a lot of metal, generally of the more melodic variety. My usual listening fare is:

Opeth
Symphony X
Sevendust
Strapping Young Lad
Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
In Flames
In Extremo
Nevermore
Testament
Pantera
Megadeath

Any suggestions on good cans for this type of music?

Mar 24, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 10
I listen to a lot of melodic death metal too, some of my favourite bands include:

Children of Bodom
In Flames
Dark Tranquillity
Arch Enemy
At The Gates
The Haunted
Dream Evil
Nightrage
Amaran
Hammerfall

I have the HD 600's but I've heard the SR225's are great for metal...

Mar 24, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 10
grado sr225 w/ flatpads/vwap pads/modded senn pads make a great rock can.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Mar 24, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 10
grado is good for melodic death, but i dont know about black. they're recordings quality are hideous, so maybe any phone goes. but black metal tend to be bright, so bright cans might not be the best (sr80). darkthrone record one of their album with a two speakers tape recorder.

Mar 24, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm just listening to DARK TRANQUILLITY with my Grado SR 60. It sounds good. I think you need to listen to music with clear drums (like heavy/speed metal, melodic metal) not drowned under a wall of guitars, then it's just a big mess you cannot recognize. As terrymx said, Grados are not the best phones for ****ty black metal, but more of a good quality old school black/thrash metal should do fine.

Mar 24, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 10
Check out my Audioscrobbler data for what I listen to: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/Iron_Dreamer/

Safe to say I'm a resident metalhead.
Look at my HD600/SR225/CD3000 comparison for some useful insight:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=66300

Furthermore, I've owned the HD590, DT770, and SR325 as well.

Out of all those cans, my favorite is the CD3000, followed by the SR325, SR225, HD600, DT770, HD590.

The CD3000 is best for me since it strike the best combination of bass slam (DT770), detail (SR325), and soundstage and imagain like none of the others have, which makes them great all-around cans. The Grados are the only ones that are close, but their lack of soundstage makes them less universal than the CD3000. The HD600 sounds boring by comparison, the DT770's bass is overdone to the point of becoming annoying sometimes, and the HD590 is just not in the same league as the others, with a muddy sounding bass, shrill treble, and recessed midrange.

Mar 24, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 10
I found the cd3000's to lack fullness compared to grados. Also the cd3000's impose there own version of what a soundstage is supposed to be. Some like it, some do not.. I wouldn't call it realistic though. I find parts of realism to come from fullness so I am naturally drawn to grados.

Biggie.

Mar 24, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
I found the cd3000's to lack fullness compared to grados. Also the cd3000's impose there own version of what a soundstage is supposed to be. Some like it, some do not.. I wouldn't call it realistic though. I find parts of realism to come from fullness so I am naturally drawn to grados.

Biggie.

My sentiments exactly. I couldn't get myself to like the CD3000s because of the big dip in midrange. When I listen to guitar driven music, like most all rock and metal is, I want to hear a meaty midrange, and impactful drums. Crunchy guitar and the snare drum/ cymbal tonality sounded more realistic to me with the Grados. The Grados present the music just as a band playing on stage would: Guitars and vocals are upfront, with drums slightly "behind". I should know, having played guitar in a band with a real drummer behind me on stage. I auditioned the CD3000s thinking I would want to get them eventually; wasn't the case. I was happier with my cheaper 225s.

Mar 24, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 10
my roommate's got me listening to Nightwish, and they sound pretty good on my 4Ps as well as my MMGs, so I assume anything that's fast and accurate is good.

you're probably looking for a conventional phone, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back