Any Members From Ottawa, Canada?
Aug 16, 2011 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

Sonic Defender

Headphoneus Supremus
Are there any other members from the Ottawa region here? I would really like to make some contacts and see about doing some listening sessions. Hope to hear back from people soon. Thanks.

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 83
I see people viewingthe thread, but no replies which sucks. There has to be a few other members in the Ottawa region. If your out there lets chat and see if we can do a listening session. I would love to hear some Senns or a T1 or LCD 2, or some of the other amps I read about here.

While my stuff isn't the exotic variety, perhaps somebody hasn't had a chance to hear a DT 880 or HF2 and would like to do so before buying? Anyway, hope to hear back from somebody. Cheers.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 83
Just a bump to keep the thread alive. Perhaps somebody will see it.

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 83
Hello there fellow member of team Ottawa!  I just recently moved up here for Georgia several months back and I'm still getting used to the area myself.  Seems like most everybody is in either Toronto or Montreal it seems.  Searching back the last meet posted here for the Ottawa area was a few years back, and I think that's a shame.  I'm sure there has to be enough people to scratch together a decent sized meet, right?

My gear isn't all that exotic either.  Still breaking in the Fubar II that I got after my Entech bought the farm.  Still, if you're interested in having a little mini-meet I'm sure something could be arranged.  Not sure about having it at my place.  My setup is tied to my computer in the office, and there isn't much room there to get another setup or two going. 

I'm in the south side of town.  About 10 minutes from the airport.  Whereabouts are you?

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 83
Hi there, welcome to Ottawa!! I live very close to you, perhaps as little as five minutes away. My home is right at Bank Street and Walkley road. I think it would be great to get together in the near future and have a listening session. I have plenty of room so no worries there.

When do you tend to have free time? My schedule varies, but in general I have time so I'm sure we can manage a get together. Who knows, maybe we'll be able to pull together a little Ottawa group. I will send you a PM with my address and phone number. Look forward to hearing the Fubar II. Nice to finally hear from somebody, I was starting to get a complex.

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #6 of 83
Hey there!

I am also from Ottawa. I don't see too many Canadians online at forums... Where do they all go?

I should also point out that I only just made my first purchase into "head" audio. I was first a car audio freak when I turned 18 and got my own car. Along the way I was a collector of various home speakers and receivers. I bought a pair of DT 770 250ohm a couple weeks ago from Planet Sound on Bank and am so impressed with them! Currently I run them out of my computer line out jack, my ipod, and my HK 135 receiver.

I would have never considered trying out the headphone scene until I moved into my girlfriends condo last year. I could only use my speakers very quietly with 80Hz high pass filter on and the bass knob turned down 1/4 way. What a waste of my beautiful B&W DM640i speakers! I recently sold those through kijiji and now have a $500 budget to improve my head-audio. The fun now comes in deciding whether to buy a new open/semi-open headphone, or invest in a great dac to pair with my HK receiver, or buy a mid range amp/dac combo...

My name is Justin and I live in the Wellington West & Island Park area. I am 27 years old and have a passion for great sounding music!

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 83
Hi Justin, great to hear from you. I also have purchased some of my equipment from Planet Of Sound, great shop. You should fire off an e-mail to me at my Yahoo account as I check that daily- m_girvan@yahoo.com

And welcome to the community, great place, but also quite evil as you will always want to spend more money and never feel what you have is good enough! Unless your loaded with cash that is. Maybe some point in the near future the three of us in this thread can get together and do some listening. Matt and I hooked up for an afternoon and had a great time talking and listening. Look forward to hearing from you soon Justin. Cheers.

Mark

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 83
Hey guys,

I'm also from Ottawa.  

It's too bad about the audio shops around here.  Quite scarce.  Planet of Sound seems pretty good but for headphones they don't really have much to listen to ....other than the Beyers.  I called the other day and the highest they have for the Grados is 225s!

In the hopefully near future I am looking at getting some new headphones and a new dac/amp.  I think I might stay the Grado route and am looking at possibly the PS500, RS2i, or RS1i.

Mark (Sonic) I like your choice of headphones.  I was looking at Planet's packages and was thinking about a DT880-600 with Novo....but am not sure.  .....and I here that the HF2 is like the PS500.  Have you heard other Grado headphones?  Does the high seem more tamed with the HF2s?

I would love to chat and see what everyone's taste in music is and give chances to hear the equipment.

Take care.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 83
Hi WullyMC, nice to have another Ottawa member. I really like the HF2, prior to getting mine I was seriously considering SR325i, but I read far too many accounts of painful highs. Truthfully while I loved my SR225i, the highs were just too present for me and made poor recordings difficult. The HF2 I feel certainly improves the highs and adds more to the overall musical balance. With really well recorded jazz  or near miked albums the HF2s are brilliant, but I have actually ended up slightly prefering my DT 880s for rock. I will always have Grados in my collection, looking forward to getting a higher end model eventually, but I really like the Beyer sound and before I spend more on a Grado can I will look at a nice Senn model, not sure what I can swing, perhaps an HD800?

Send me a PM with some contact information if you like and maybe in the near future the four of us can get together. Cheers.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #10 of 83
From Toronto, but going to U of O for engineering right now.

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 83
Hi Swatcsi, hell even Leaf fans (assuming your are one) are welcome! I am studying psychology at Carleton myself. It sounds like we could get a really good meet together. Small groups are often better and we all have different enough equipment so it could be a blast. I'll try to see if the others in this thread would like to get together soon. Not sure if getting together during the day works or not, but if it does I have a house that is really easy to get from the Transitway or by car. If people like we could potentially get together there, but I am totally open to suggestions. If the daytime is of interest, for me I am available Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from as early as 9:00am - 3:30pm. Feel free to suggest other times as nothing is out of the question.

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 83

Quote:
Hi Swatcsi, hell even Leaf fans (assuming your are one) are welcome! I am studying psychology at Carleton myself. It sounds like we could get a really good meet together. Small groups are often better and we all have different enough equipment so it could be a blast. I'll try to see if the others in this thread would like to get together soon. Not sure if getting together during the day works or not, but if it does I have a house that is really easy to get from the Transitway or by car. If people like we could potentially get together there, but I am totally open to suggestions. If the daytime is of interest, for me I am available Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from as early as 9:00am - 3:30pm. Feel free to suggest other times as nothing is out of the question.

Yea, that sounds good, I'm free during the day almost everyday my classes are in the morning and at night. My friend has a pair of SRH750's, so it would be a great way to hear new gear. 
Only thing is I can't meet up until March. My reading week starts on friday, and I'm going to be in Toronto.

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #13 of 83
Hello guys,  I'm from across the river (Gatiteau) but work in Ottawa. I have a pretty busy schedule but would also like to participate to a local meet for the Ottawa region. Cheers  
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #14 of 83
Thanks for hooking me up to this thread Simon (Twinster) ....

I could also be interested in a meet too if it worked around my work and family schedule.

Darren
(Barrhaven)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back