any love for saul williams here?
Feb 23, 2008 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

quiksliver

100+ Head-Fier
I was never a big fan of hip hop until saul, I heard some older stuff like public enemy and NWA but avoided stuff like soulja boy like the plague

but I recently tried out niggy tardust because it had a very attractice price- free.

It really sucked me in, it felt like saul actually had something to say and was a master of words unlike most of the hip hop I had heard before.

I listened to his self titled, amethyst and liked them all, but I'd rank the albums

amethyst > niggy > s/t

anyone else like saul?

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 9
I really dug Amethyst Rock Star some years ago, when I was listening to a bit of underground hip hop (not that I'd really call this hip hop at all).

Came across Niggy Tardust recently and was not as impressed. But then, I'm not really listening to spoken word stuff much anymore.

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 9
A rapper with a beat poet mentality, very good stuff.

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 9
Confession: My sig probably gives folks the impression that I'm a huge fan, but that's not really the case. I like Saul's music okay, but I wouldn't say he's my favorite rapper. The signature's a testament to his way with words, though.

Feb 24, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 9
Great artist, in general. I'd check out his poetry book The Dead Emcee Scrolls: The Lost Teachings of Hip-Hop if you want a real feel for him.

His album isn't free, it costs $5. I actually downloaded it when it was free (first 100,000 downloads I think?). But I just recently bought it and downloaded it in FLAC (any takers? :O). Now if only all albums were $5...

Anyways, the more you listen to it, the deeper it gets. Same with the poetry book(s). Hell, just you posting this and me thinking about it just one more time, I think "the inevitable rise and liberation of niggy tardust" is a way of saying us as people becoming free.. hence why the album was free to download, and now only costs $5. -- This might seem abstract to somebody who isn't very familiar with the poetry in his work. But it makes sense to me.. just goes to show, check it out! And pay the $5!

Tyler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back