Any Love for Crinicle's latest collaborations ?
Jan 12, 2022 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

claud W

Headphoneus Supremus
There does not seem to be any discussion about Crin's latest tuning gigs, I myself have ordered the KZ and the Fiio. Fiio came today, but have not listened to it. I just started a week long 24/7 burn in of it to give it a good start,
There is now a third Crin at See Audio called the Midnight.
Any reviews of any of these?

Jan 12, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 14
There does not seem to be any discussion about Crin's latest tuning gigs, I myself have ordered the KZ and the Fiio. Fiio came today, but have not listened to it. I just started a week long 24/7 burn in of it to give it a good start,
There is now a third Crin at See Audio called the Midnight.
Any reviews of any of these?
There are a couple reviews for the Midnight up: Yume: Midnight reviews

I have a Midnight on order. I hope it surpasses the Yume. But, I am concerned that tweaking the tuning to improve "technicalities" might lose the Yume magic. Kind of like, for me, the Kato lost the magic of the Starfield. I will have to hear the Midnight for myself to see if the Midnight is indeed an improvement or if it is adding too many maraschino cherries to a wonderful chocolate sundae.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 14
Jan 22, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 14
WOW!! Crin collaborats on 3 different IEMs and only 2 guys post in this thread.
Sorry Crin. I guess you just ain't that popular.I bought 2 of the 3 Crin IEMs . Maybe its me that ain't popular.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 14
A lot of people don't have them yet because they just came out or are still in preorder.

I posted my review of the CRN, Dawn and Dusk on my blog. I'll be working on Eclipse next and Midnight a little after. Have a lot more products to cover not just crinacles unfortunately.

So far, I think the new ones are solid additions to their respective price points but not necessarily the best of class.

They are all above average at a minimum though and most of the nitpicks I have are either small tuning things or technical constraints.

Jan 23, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 14
As I thought the Midnight is my personal favorite of the new trio

IMG_3951.jpg
IMG_3963.jpg

graph (2).png

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 14
As I thought the Midnight is my personal favorite of the new trio

IMG_3951.jpg IMG_3963.jpg

graph (2).png

A QDC-style dip at 5-6 kHz is basically the go-to way of compensating for suboptimal treble extension on IEMs, bringing the mid-/upper treble into balance and making top-end shimmer more audible while generating the perceptions of staging depth and bass tactility.

You can hear similar dips at the pinna notches' half-harmonics on the HD800S, EQ'd Audezes, and Hifiman's planars, too. I also use the technique when creating my own headphone EQ presets, and it's a handy one for improving technicalities. Crin definitely knows what he's doing in terms of tuning, both when it comes to the Eclipse and the Midnight.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #8 of 14
I’m enjoying the FHE after burn in, at first I was a bit underwhelmed (my previous acquisition Penon Serial really impressed with the bass quality (unfair comparison as it cost twice as much)). Was expecting absolute bass cannons but it was rather polite. Whilst the rumbling sub bass delivered, I felt it lacked some mid bass for the ultimate impact.

Upgraded to Fiio FD5’s balanced stock cable and did some tip rolling. I found the Final Type E black tips helped bring out the mid bass much more to my liking. FHE handles the lower frequencies very well. Dives deep with good texture to the bass and provides a solid foundation for vocals and instruments.

Mids are clear and concise. No bass bleed. Vocals are forward, pleasing and natural, no sibilance. Treble is smooth and non fatiguing. No big issues in these areas considering the price.

Jan 24, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #9 of 14
I'm not a huge fan of the guy in general, but at least for his preferred sound he does seem to know what he is doing there. So I picked up the kz zex pro since it's cheap enough that it's not a big deal. It didn't blow me away, but it's quite well tuned and for the price especially it's definitely quite good.

Jan 27, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #10 of 14
Out of curiosity, I ordered a pair and tried listening to the ZEX PRO, not knowing it was tuned by crinacle.

First things off, not sure what the peaks on parts of the highs are about. It seemed that the intention was to give the listener feel like it has good technicals by forcing more details and clarity, except that It's obvious and unnatural. It can be harsh and sibilant. Timbre is not good, and mids can sound thin.

The soundstage is just average. Imaging should have been better for the way it is tuned, but it's not, and there is a sense of congestion in busier tracks.

If anything, the sub-bass and bass are the strengths, although it's just average and nothing to shout.

In all honesty, I am not sure the intended audience of these pair of IEMs. Although reasonably neutral, it has weak tonality and separation, which I did not enjoy. Haven't read that many reviews on it, so this might just be me.

C-

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 14
I'm new to the game, but I've just found this fella, and intend to follow him closely. Knowledgable, articulate, and engaging. Very cool to know that he is custom-tuning gear...!

Feb 3, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #12 of 14
Finally got around to doing my walk with the Fiio Eclipse Crinacle. I thought it was going to be a bass head IEM, but it was a very nice listen. Pop music with bass showed off its bass control and its a nice sounding IEM. Male vocals and female vocals shined, but not bright. It gets another walk today.
Might have to try Midnight.

Feb 3, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #13 of 14
Mar 8, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #14 of 14
FIIO FH5 vs FIIO FHE: Eclipse - What are the differences? Recommendations? HELP!

What are the differences between these IEMS in terms of bass, midrange and treble? Which one has more recessed vocals?
Use case: Movies, Electronic, Hardstyle, Hip-Hop, classical
Currently using the BLON BL-03. Good bass, okay mids, too sharp treble (even with memory foam)
I want to be able to turn the volume up without getting my ears pierced with treble :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back