Any last recommendations before I take the plunge?
Apr 14, 2016 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Pumba101

New Head-Fier
A few months ago I went to my first CanJam in London, it was great. However I listened to some really expensive equipment which ruined things for me.

I currently have a Grace m9xx and a Fostex TH-X00 which I was really happy with for price:performance but then I attended the CanJam in Singapore and listened to more headphones which really opened my eyes. There were two headphones which really blew my socks off; the HE1000 and the SR009.

I think that the SR009 is out of my budget considering that I'd need to purchase a new amp too. However I can just about stretch to the HE1000. A few ago days I walked past a hifi shop that had a few headphones and I listened to the HD800S and the LCD3. I preferred the airiness of the HE1000 to the HD800S and I thought that the LCD3 was be too heavy for any prolonged listening so I didn't listen to them for more than a couple of minutes.

If I get a TOTL headphone I think my m9xx will suffice for the time being until I decide to upgrade later down the road. Also, these headphones will purely be for home use at my desk.

I just wanted to double check to make sure that I didn't miss any of the blockbuster headphones before I go for another listen and possibly purchase the HE1000.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 8
Did you get a chance to try the HE1000 on the m9xx? What systems did you hear with the HE1000?

I ask because I too loved the m9xx. And I love the HE1000. But I did not care for the two together. However the pairing of m9xx and HD800 was surprisingly good!

::

This is my opinion - my ears my gears. But having owned the m9xx, and still owning HD800, HD800S, and HE1000, I could easily have lived with HD800/800S on m9xx for many hours of listening pleasure. But I needed to look elsewhere for satisfaction with the HE1000.

Loved TH-X00 and m9xx as well!

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 8
I haven't listened to anything with the m9xx yet, that's on my to do list this weekend. I heard the HE1000 at CanJam through a huge Woo Audio amp but unfortunately I can't remember which one. In the shop the other day I listened to the HE1000 through an iF​i Nano iDSD - it sounded awesome but I couldn't help but think my m9xx would be better when listening to it.

I'll be really interested to see how the HD800 / HD800S sounds through my m9xx after your comments. On a side note it'll be interesting to see if I think the HD800S at £1200 is worth the extra £500 over the HD800 which you can now get new for £700.

As I type this message I've currently got my TH-X00's on listening to some Pink Floyd and it sounds great - although I can't help but imagine how it'd sound through something more high end.

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 8
  I was just reading on the HE X forum, and some said they preffer the sound of the HE X than the HE 1000.
Might be a good idea to try them.

I've listened to the HEX at length and to the HE1000 at a few meets. I'd take the HE1000 over the HEX.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 8
After finally hearing a friend's HE1K, I'm of the opinion a well-amped HE-6 is still the best headphone HiFiMan has produced. It has the clarity, articulation, "sound emerging from nowhere" vibe of Stax with the tactility, weight, and punch of planars/dynamics. If I had to live with one "do-everything" headphone it would be that one. You'd need another amp, but the good news is that there are plenty of capable, cheap speaker amps to be had to power it. I got a used Emotiva A100  for $130 and it works beautifully. Speaking as someone who prefers speakers to headphones, this is as close to speakers as I've heard. 

Apr 15, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 8
  After finally hearing a friend's HE1K, I'm of the opinion a well-amped HE-6 is still the best headphone HiFiMan has produced. It has the clarity, articulation, "sound emerging from nowhere" vibe of Stax with the tactility, weight, and punch of planars/dynamics. If I had to live with one "do-everything" headphone it would be that one. You'd need another amp, but the good news is that there are plenty of capable, cheap speaker amps to be had to power it. I got a used Emotiva A100  for $130 and it works beautifully. Speaking as someone who prefers speakers to headphones, this is as close to speakers as I've heard. 

Stock?
I've read that it requires both good amplification and mods.

Apr 15, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 8
  Stock?
I've read that it requires both good amplification and mods.

Yes, stock, but with DMG's EQuilibrium (which I use on all headphones). As far as mods, I know some have removed the damping, changed the grills, and made a faux-fazor. Haven't tried them, but I may get around to them. It sounds great as-is to me, especially with the EQ tweaks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back