Any laptop emu 0404 usb users come across this before?
Jan 7, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #16 of 20
Hmm... do you happen to have some USB device connected there with most software installed there ... as like a USB Printer etc.. It's possible that the system scans the state of this device or it's connection port regulary and this procedure brings audible issues (sometimes even a normal printer through parallel port gives some issues when set wrong). I've noticed this type issues with HP PhotoSmart USB device in conjuction with WinXP.

If you do have one there then, just try by disabling the device through Device manager and remove all it's realtime functionality (those loaded programs are propably showing up as icons in most right area in taskbar). You can try by killing those processes temporarily through TaskManager first and then if this helped then just remove/prevent from running permanently (for this task you can use an utility called autoruns (you'll get it from microsoft support)).

Sometimes adjusting the graphics acceleration and mouse sampling rate helps a bit too (but propably it's not your case).

jiitee

Jan 7, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #17 of 20
no i disabled all that a while ago...i dont use my printer...i deleted all the stuff.

It's weird cause even if i fload my comp with typing / mouse clicks / other processes that take up lots of memory (like moving files, open things etc) i dont get pops and crackels. Only get them when surfing the web, specficially when loading pages. I can watch you tube videos fine, download things while listening to winamp fine...but just when loading pages.

I think it might be my 'office scan' anti virus thing which my college put on my computer and i'm not sure how to get it off (seems to require a password).

Jan 7, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #18 of 20
When you say "moving files", do you mean between folders on your internal HD, or do you mean transferring files over a network?

Seems as if you are probably on the right track with the antivirus app......but I am curious about non-Internet file transfers, because then it could be something with your network interface. Do you connect to your school's network via a wired or wireless connection?

Jan 7, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #19 of 20
moving files on internal hd...i'm not on my college's network (home for break).

GET THIS: So my comp is sharing a router with another comp (a deskptop)...no cracks when surfing the internet on the desktop comp BUT when i try to print something on the deskptop it gives me cracks from my laptop. The printer is hooked up via lots of printer software / usb on the desktop. This makes me feel better...like maybe the problem arises out of being hooked up this way. Hmmm But i still do get cracks when the desktop is turned off. Maybe it has something to do with the modem (my parents have a really weird setup with the modem...lots of software)

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #20 of 20
Do you know the utility called "Performance Monitor" which comes with the OS? With that utility you are able to check out which process(es)/Thread(s) are taking most recources at that time you get those damn issues.

I think checking the "Thread/Processor time" usage is good point to start from.

! before starting, remember start all those software you think are involved and power those additional equipment/devices you have there before collecting active threads.

- start the utility by entering a command perfmon.msc /s in Start->Run... dialog.

In its main wondow,
- set the graph display "ON"
- add "counters" by pressing the "+" icon
-> select
-- "Threads" in "Performance objects" drop-listbox,
-- "% Processor Time" in counter list
-- "All instances" in instances dialog

By setting the HighLite on, you be able to highlite the curve by doubleclicking it .. this also locates the thread (list below the graph area) which the curve belongs to.

Now in graphics, you maybe see couple counters staying near 100% all the time (all are maybe just "Idle" processes) ... just highlite those lines and by pressing the Del key you can remove this instance from monitored items.

Finally, sust start working as normally and then when you get those audible issues, you should then see the "spike" in graph there and so on...

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back