Any KOSS UR-40 lovers here
Jul 23, 2005 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
I read allot about the KOSS 75 and KOSS portapro but not very much about the KOSS UR-40. I like the UR-40 over the other KOSS cans. They have full size ear cups and are so very comfortable also they fold up for portable use and with a amp they really sound great but also sound great without an amp for the small amount of money that they cost. Any thoughts on this?

http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...adigi.com/cgi-

Jul 23, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 18
I love my UR-40s. If I don't need isolation they are my cans of choice. My favorite of the 60 ohm Koss's.

Jul 24, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jparris1
I love my UR-40s. If I don't need isolation they are my cans of choice. My favorite of the 60 ohm Koss's.

Same here, for a while i got on a koss KSC 60 ohm drive kick and i got a bunch of em, if you like the UR40s you should try the R200s, they are very similar to the UR40, but they use the older driver not the new titanium one. Same driver as the 35s. I got about 4 pair of em.

Jul 24, 2005 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 18
I love my ur-40s.Very comfy and light and very open sounding too.
My koss ksc headphone of choice.And its got the best soundstage of the Sporta and KTx pro.
I removed the foam covering the back side of the driver though.

Aug 17, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 18
I've had my UR-40's for about a week, and I have grown to like them more than my modded KSC75's. In stock form I like the UR-40's much better than the KSC75's due to the KSC75's being a clip-on. Even after modding the KSC75's into Eggphones enclosures (circumaural) I still find the UR-40's have the edge in comfort. The sound is a tad muddier than the KSC75's but this seems to be clearing up as I use them, also my PA2V2 seems to bring out the best in them.

These headphones sound great (strong bass and forward mids), have good soundstage (open), great comfort (circumaural, over-the-head), and look good too (by far the best in the Koss line-up and IMO good compared to any other headphone). Plus at only ~$25 they are a great deal!

UR-40_1_thumb.JPG
UR-40_2_thumb.JPG
UR-40_3_thumb.JPG
UR-40_4_thumb.JPG

More pics and thoughts:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=koss

Aug 17, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 18
Wow, you guys seem to really like it.. I'll need to give them another listen, because when my friend bought them, I tried them and they sounded very airy and not warm at all..

I remember joking with him, calling them the Koss UR-Wastingyourmoney

Aug 18, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 18
I think it's weird how headphones can sound very different depending on what you expect them to sound like. The only headphones that were unexpectedly good (to me) where the KSC75's. I didn't have very high expectations (even after reading the reviews here) but I got a pair for my brother's birthday so I picked some up for myself. I was amazed at how great they sounded for $15! I now got the UR-40's and they sounded pretty much like I was expecting (which is a good thing). All the other headphones I've purchased either fullfilled my expectations or been a disapointment (for one reason or another).

I really enjoy the light pressure the UR-40's put on my ears. They are much more comfortable than the clamping, semi-circumaural Sennheisers. And the netting is very comfortable on the top of my head, so it is OK for them to 'hang' (somewhat) on my head.

Aug 18, 2005 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 18
the ksc drivers are known to sound dry at first.After a week of burn in however,they sound real good.The mids bloom nicely ! i have had both (my ktx pro and the ur-40) improve after some burn-in.

Aug 19, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #13 of 18
These cans sound flat out terrible in comparison to ksc-35's or koss porta pros. They have a dark cave sound with little detail. Please don't fall for the hype...

Biggie.

Aug 20, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #14 of 18
I think they do lack some clarity versus my KSC75's but they still sound very good for $25.

I think that they are great if you do not like clip-on's (KSC35/75) or supra-aural's (PortaPro, PP2, SportaPro). They are very comfortable, and provide a similar sound signature (but somewhat less refined), at a great price.

Also, in my opinion, they are the best looking in the Koss 60 Ohm line-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back