Any Kamado users here (Big Green Egg, Primo, etc)?
Aug 28, 2007 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Dustin B

Head-Fier
I've had my Primo Oval for almost a year now. Had another amazing pork roast off it on Sunday. Have only tried true BBQ on it once. Wasn't bad, but I have some learning left to do on it. I think I didn't cook long enough and didn't control the temp well enough. Still can't get over how good the steaks are that come off it.

If you've never heard of them, check them out, I'll never be on a propane or natural gas cooker again
tongue.gif

Primo Grills
Big Green Egg
Great Kamado Resource Site

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 14
Forum this size and not one person has a Kamado. Or even a gas grill or traditional charcoal apologist
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 14
imho the best barbecues are made on a plow's disk over charcoal... steak soaks on it's own juices... so good...

Aug 29, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 14
i think it's only done here in south america...

you need one of this:

img.jpeg

you burn charcoal under it until you get embers (i think that's the word in english) and only then you put the steak in it... you roast one side until juice starts showing up on the top side, then you salt it, flip it over, and cover it with newspaper...

when it is done, you get very nice and juicy steak, and any juice that managed to escpae the beef is now on the bottom of the disk... (it goes awesome on top of rice or mashed potatoes
biggrin.gif
)

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 14
Can you do whole roasts and chickens on it? Pretty big paradigm shift for me with that method as I'm not used to grilling on something that would allow what is being cooked to sit in it's own juices. I can see that making for good food in some cases, but I'm not so sure about others. Also with a solid grill, is there really any benefit to using the charcoal as opposed to some other heat source?

Aug 29, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 14
yep, you can do basically everything you want in it... in coast town it is common to cook fish and seafood in it, on mountain towns they will cook goat, etc... (pork ribs are really good, you dump the whole thing in there along with the seasoning - usually garlic+oregano+black pepper and less than half a cup of warm mater)

about the charcoal, it gives better control over the heat... you can concentrate everything on one spot or spread it, create 2 o 3 hot spots, etc...

also, not just any disk will work... the reason we use old plowing disks is the way the steel heats up

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 14
Cadac (A south african outdoor company) makes smaller versions that run on gas which are readily available here in Holland (don't know if this is the case in the US).

http://www.cadac.co.za/

I'm not a big fan of those 'Skottelbraais' though.

I prefer charcoal bbq's with a lid that you can close. I'm more of a weber guy, so no green eggs in my yard
icon10.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #11 of 14
Then don't try one smeerkaas, their forums are full of guys whos' weber grills are now collecting rust
tongue.gif

Seriously though, Weber does make a great product and they do offer charcoal grills which you appearantly use. You run lump or bricket in it? Every looked at the Weber Bullet (rocky mountain smoker)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back