Any juicer advice?
Jan 28, 2007 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

The Actual

Headphoneus Supremus
At home we had some really old juice machine that still worked but was a pain to clean well. Recently someone I know got a really nice Breville model, and it is so easy to use and clean.

I'm thinking buying a new one, maybe as a gift maybe for myself. How much should I expect to spend? What kind of features should I look for? Basically I would want an easy to use juicer which will last for twenty five years like the one my parents have.

Also, what kind of juice do you guys like to make? The favorite I have stumbled upon is lots of carrots, an apple or two, some orange and a yellow squash to round it out with a little bitterness.

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 17
count me in for being interested in some replies as well...i've been addicted to straight-up carrot juice recently and would love to make my own...

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 17
I had the JuicemanII. It was ok. Clean up was hell. I pushed it hard and it never did fail, but I broke an essential part.

Two I have been considering because of the ratings:
http://www.amazon.com/Breville-JE95X...&s=home-garden
http://www.amazon.com/Breville-JE900...&s=home-garden

For straight up carrot juice you won't need much power. For leafy stuff you're going to want power!

kugino: that's a damn fine gig you got there selling your meet impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 17
I like the Omega 8003/5 (3=white/5=chrome), It juices grasses, veggies, fruit, and makes pasta and nut butters. It's a pretty decent home model running around $200. You might even be able to get it for less. I haven't looked in awhile.

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 17
Juicing wheat grass as well as vegetables and fruit sounds good, although I don't think I'll need pasta or nut butter capabilities.

My budget is pretty flexible. I really have no idea what I should expect to spend, but if it is a good deal for the money then I'd want it.

Example:
KSC-75 cool
SA5000 cool
HE-90 cool
triports not so cool

EDIT: one thing I just realized is pretty important to me is having a high extraction rate. I want to be wasting as little food as possible, even if I don't end up using the pulp for cooking.

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Omega 8003/5 (3=white/5=chrome), It juices grasses, veggies, fruit, and makes pasta and nut butters. It's a pretty decent home model running around $200. You might even be able to get it for less. I haven't looked in awhile.

What's clean up like on that one boomana?

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 17
Yeah, I only tried the nut butter thing once. I'm too lazy, but I like vegetable juices in the morning or smoothies for breakfast. Cleanup is pretty easy because it's not the centrifugal type where everything gets trapped. I also have the Omega 1000, which is centrifugal, but comes with filters so clean-up is easy. I'm not much of a fruit juicer, but when I'm in an apple phase, I use that one. Here's one site that might give you an idea of what's out there. There are many others as well...maybe even a forum. I will say that you don't want to buy a cheap one. It's just not worth it. You'll get frustrated with clean up, or it'll break on you, or be slow, and you'll quit juicing and waste your money.

http://www.discountjuicers.com/juicers.html

Jan 29, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 17
I own the breville 800jexl which is mostly stainless steal and i've owned it's plastic brother 95xl. I liked them both and only got the new more expensive model because I just happened to have the money at the time. It's a little easier to clean but really in no way better that the hudred and fifty dollar cheaper brother.

There is one step down in the breville juicers that i didn't want to get. I saw it in the store display with the others. I'ts about 100 dollars less that the 95xl but is made of cheeper plastic that looks like would crack much easier. Juicers work very hard. Seed smack on the sides of the plastic housing and are really ridden rough. I wouldn't risk it.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was i the only one who thought this thread was about steroids?
confused.gif

from personal experience, I'd say to go with whatever has the easiest cleanup. I only use my juicer once a year cause I hate the cleanup involved.

I also thought the same. I thought to myself "YAY, one thread I can actually reply to", but nope, I was shutdown (jk)

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 17
The Green Power, Green Life, and Green Star juicers made by Tribest are awesome. The twin gears press the juice and don't introduce oxygen into the juice like cheap juicers. That means you can make enough juice to last you a few days in the fridge unlike the oxygenated juice that degrades quickly and so has to be consumed immediately. Very high quality and reliable juicers.

My favorite juice is carrots, green apples, a little celery for sodium, and some ginger.

Jan 29, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #14 of 17
I bought an ACME juicer about 7-8 years ago. I dont remember the model # but it is the one with the stainless steel option. I like it a lot. It has a killer motor and is relatively easy to clean. It doesnt do wheatgrass though. I have a seperate hand cranked thingy for wheatgrass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back