Any ITUNES pros here? Cant figure out why they designed it like this??
Nov 21, 2005 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Why is there no "playing now" tab?
Meaning...if I choose to listen to, say, Incubus-and while im listening to the album I decide to check out some other things I have on my Itunes-how do I go back to what I was playing???
I know im listening to it and I could just type "Incubus" into the search bar...but why isnt there a "now playing" button that just takes me automatically to what im currently listening to?? (maybe there is and im just an idiot
biggrin.gif
)

Second thing, while im listening to the above, if I go to check anything else on Itunes, (not only does the above happen and I lose my place)but once the song im listening to finishes, Itunes stops playing! It will only keep playing (and go to the next song) if I have it on my screen and im looking at it. Once I change screens or bring up anything else w/in Itunes, the continuos play stops.
How annoying is this?
Can anyone help me out?
Thnx guys.

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Meaning...if I choose to listen to, say, Incubus-and while im listening to the album I decide to check out some other things I have on my Itunes-how do I go back to what I was playing???
I know im listening to it and I could just type "Incubus" into the search bar...but why isnt there a "now playing" button that just takes me automatically to what im currently listening to?? (maybe there is and im just an idiot
biggrin.gif
)

Second thing, while im listening to the above, if I go to check anything else on Itunes, (not only does the above happen and I lose my place)but once the song im listening to finishes, Itunes stops playing! It will only keep playing (and go to the next song) if I have it on my screen and im looking at it. Once I change screens or bring up anything else w/in Itunes, the continuos play stops.
How annoying is this?
Can anyone help me out?
Thnx guys.

you can always go back to what's playing by hitting the little arrow in the circle to the right of the title of the song - it will pop right back to that tune in the library. if you hit the little arrow in the circle to the left of the title, it will change the info - time left, album name, whatever.

as for continuous play, you need to keep the album/playlist you're playing from highlighted. you can do this separately from your main itunes window by popping up a new window for it - right click and hit open new window, or just doubleclick on the playlist/album. now you can browse the rest of your main itunes window without halting your current playlist!

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 30
can you see the box at the top where it displays the information about the currently playing song. If so to the right of the progress bar there is a circle with a "return" symbol in it, click this it will take you back to the song that is playing.

How do you normally start playing songs. If you go to the serach bar enter the song name or the album or the band and play from that, and depending on wherr you go next, like in a different playlist it will play through what is selected in that particular section that you played it and depending in the area it will play it with the options set.

For example if it went to a playlist without repeat on and press play. Then went to library and was looking around it would seemily stop playing although there are loads more songs it could play. (Bit confusing) But at least i made the solution to your first problem clear. The second problem will become clear from use.

Sorry couldnt make it clearer

Nov 22, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you can always go back to what's playing by hitting the little arrow in the circle to the right of the title of the song - it will pop right back to that tune in the library. if you hit the little arrow in the circle to the left of the title, it will change the info - time left, album name, whatever.

as for continuous play, you need to keep the album/playlist you're playing from highlighted. you can do this separately from your main itunes window by popping up a new window for it - right click and hit open new window, or just doubleclick on the playlist/album. now you can browse the rest of your main itunes window without halting your current playlist!

Jahn, ur the man-thanx.
I always that that little arrow was a "repeat" option-looks like it should be,no?
Always figured a "now playing"button would be easier...anyways...
I still cant get that seperate window open.
If i right click on the song, I dont see any "new Window" option, and if i double click on the song, it just starts fromw the beginning.
Im obviously not the brightest bulb in the chandelier
tongue.gif

So be patient.

Nov 22, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

biggrin.gif
)

If it's Incubus then I think iTunes is doing it for a good reason.
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 30
Control-L

does exactly what you want.
I use it all the time.

This is a shortcut to "File menu - Show Current Song" if you prefer clicking on menus... (And not only does it show the current song, but it shows it in the context in which you were playing it.)

This works under iTunes 6.x and I'm quite certain it existed in 5.x and 4.x.

I believe the "stops playing" thing is still as you have described, and yes, a little annoying... I'd have to test it out to confirm.

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeTogo
Control-L

does exactly what you want.
I use it all the time.

This is a shortcut to "File menu - Show Current Song" if you prefer clicking on menus... (And not only does it show the current song, but it shows it in the context in which you were playing it.)

This works under iTunes 6.x and I'm quite certain it existed in 5.x and 4.x.

I believe the "stops playing" thing is still as you have described, and yes, a little annoying... I'd have to test it out to confirm.

Good advice,
How do I open a new window to play the current album in?
That should avoid the poblem.
Also, where can I change the butrate of a song when I import?

edit: think im gonna start a seperate thread for that one.

Nov 22, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 30
Only way I have found this problem is to make a playlist which I have labelled Now Playing, and drag the contents of the album I want to listen to onto the playlist. Then you can open the playlist in a separate window by double clicking on it (this doesn't work for albums) if you want to have it there in front of you, but you can also navigate around in iTunes and have the program continue to play from the playlist even if the playlist window isn't open.

All very clumsy - and not only this but the songs have to be checked if iTunes is to play them, and you have to delete songs from the playlist manually after you have finished with it.

Nov 22, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 30
Very poorly designed.

Nov 23, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Good advice,
How do I open a new window to play the current album in?
That should avoid the poblem.
Also, where can I change the butrate of a song when I import?

edit: think im gonna start a seperate thread for that one.

What I do is I'll go to the Library, type in the name of the album in the search field, and the playlist will be auto filtered down to show only songs of that album. No need to create a whole new playlist. Why should you have to open a new window to play the album anyway? It's a waste of space.

You can change the bitrate of the song inside Preferences->Advanced->Importing.

Nov 23, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 30
Opening a new window is only an advantage if you want to have the contents of an album or playlist easily visible, no matter what else you may be doing in iTunes.

The point of this discussion is that you cant navigate away from an album you are listening to and have iTunes continue to play the album once the track you are listening to is over. As you can navigate away from playlists and have them continue to play, then an obvious if clumsy solution is to make a new playlist containing the album you wish to listen to.

Jul 31, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #12 of 30
This thread is back from the dead!
I searced around and couldn't find an answer, so here goes:
I have my music in both flac and itunes, and I am constantly adjusting and readjusting my music info/tags. One thing about itunes that drives me nuts (in addition to the issues above) is that to change the album info, for example, one clicks on the album field and then shortly after (with a pause) clicks again to change the info (just like renaming files on a computer). Of course, if you do these 2 clicks too quickly however then itunes will begin to play the song and throw everything off. I like that I can very easily change the info in itunes, but if I could figure out a way to turn OFF the double-click play option Id be very happy!
Any ideas? Thanks.

Jul 31, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
Use http://www.mediamonkey.com/
evil_smiley.gif

That's my comment too. It's especially true if you have a zillion files. It's an excellent tool in many ways. It's free, with a few extra features that get turned on if you pay them. I paid them just to be supportive of their good efforts. I use only one of the extra features (file monitoring).

There are very few products that I hate. There are many products that I don't like, but that's very different than actively hating them. In fact, I have a hard time thinking of any products that I hate. Except for iTunes. I really, really hate iTunes. It is designed to manipulate your behavior and to restrict your legitimate rights.

Jul 31, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
That's my comment too. It's especially true if you have a zillion files. It's an excellent tool in many ways. It's free, with a few extra features that get turned on if you pay them. I paid them just to be supportive of their good efforts. I use only one of the extra features (file monitoring).

There are very few products that I hate. There are many products that I don't like, but that's very different than actively hating them. In fact, I have a hard time thinking of any products that I hate. Except for iTunes. I really, really hate iTunes. It is designed to manipulate your behavior and to restrict your legitimate rights.

Can I use an ipod with Media monkey as well? Or does using that software mean Id have to use a different portable player like a Zen?
Thanks for the help and the new options
biggrin.gif

Edit: Sorry, reading the first two lines on the website answered my question...

What are the benefits of MM??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back