Any interest in a Seattle meet?
Jan 27, 2003 at 11:50 AM Post #31 of 71
Has anyone tried to contact Magnolia Hifi? The one over on Roosevelt seems like it has lots of space we can utilize without causing any distractions. The employees seem pretty friendly in general too.. man, they had try outs for the dallas cowboys cheerleading team running on all the tvs in there a few weeks back.. plasma screens never looked so good. But yeah.. I'll go there in person this week and see if they will consider doing it if you guys haven't already.. Another option is that a few of us who go to UW start a small club.. I think it will take 4 of us and we can request a room for ourselves.. This might push the date back a little bit but not too much.. I've gone through the process before and its fairly simple and quick. The only delay would be in getting a room reserved. I've got one friend who would help set up the club.. so two more members (must be UW students) and this might work.. Let me know what you guys think.. I'll go ahead and see if we can sqeeze some money (for refreshments and such of course) out of ASUW too
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #32 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by midson
Another option is that a few of us who go to UW start a small club.. I think it will take 4 of us and we can request a room for ourselves..
I'll go ahead and see if we can sqeeze some money (for refreshments and such of course) out of ASUW too
wink.gif

Hahaha.. now this is a great idea. <g> Maybe we can squeeze enough out for some gear...
smily_headphones1.gif
"But we're demo-ing it for ..." I know there're a few of us that go to UW... me, radrd, ummm.. you, and ... there's gotta be someone else....

hm.. maybe we could make it work.. who knows.

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #34 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Sure, let's start a UW club. Can I be President? I need some stuff for my resume!
biggrin.gif

If I get to be Chairman.
Damn. they don't have those in clubs, do they....

wink.gif

Jan 28, 2003 at 1:35 PM Post #37 of 71
well, i did a little research on the club and it seems we should be able to get it off the ground fairly quickly.. There is one orientation for starting a club tomorrow and one on Feb 5th.. Its required that one of our initial _five_ group members attend it. We also have to decide on officers and board members. Funding looks like it will be pretty hard to get with the whole interview process.. theres also one more thing that is kinda in the way but can be worked around very easily; there seems to be a lot of red tape if we plan on inviting people from outside UW. I don't think it will be a problem at all though.. and its not like they'll actually check on us either. Parking might be the biggest problem for most people. I'm not sure how late we can do this but I know the hub is open fairly late and rooms are available there.. does anyone know what time parking undearneath redsquare becomes free? Ah well.. caffeine is wearing off.. must finish paper..

Jan 28, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #38 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by midson
well, i did a little research on the club and it seems we should be able to get it off the ground fairly quickly.. There is one orientation for starting a club tomorrow and one on Feb 5th.. Its required that one of our initial _five_ group members attend it. We also have to decide on officers and board members. Funding looks like it will be pretty hard to get with the whole interview process.. theres also one more thing that is kinda in the way but can be worked around very easily; there seems to be a lot of red tape if we plan on inviting people from outside UW. I don't think it will be a problem at all though.. and its not like they'll actually check on us either. Parking might be the biggest problem for most people. I'm not sure how late we can do this but I know the hub is open fairly late and rooms are available there.. does anyone know what time parking undearneath redsquare becomes free? Ah well.. caffeine is wearing off.. must finish paper..

Parking is never "free" unless it's after 9PM.

Parking is free in select lots if you have 3 UPASS holders with you in the car. Parking is reduced after 4PM in all unrestricted lots... to something like $4-5. Parking is "free" after 9PM in restricted and unrestricted lots 'cause .. well.. parking enforcement gets off work at 9PM
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2003 at 6:35 AM Post #39 of 71
Parking is free afternoon on Saturdays and all day Sundays, so that shouldn't be a problem. http://www.washington.edu/admin/parking/HSlibry.html

If we need a couple more people, my roommate and a friend or two of mine can join. They don't own nice headphones, but I would definitely call them "headphone friendly."

I have nothing to do Friday afternoon, so I could hunt up additional information and talk to someone then if we are serious about a club. Or, midson if you know enough to do it and we have enough people, then maybe you, me, vwap, and anyone else needed to start the club should get the ball rolling.

The big question is: Would the University of Washington be a good place for everyone to have a meet on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon? It would be stupid to start a club to have a meet and discover that no one can make a meet at the UW.
redface.gif

Jan 29, 2003 at 6:43 AM Post #40 of 71
Ummm, why start a whole club just to reserve a room? i.e. Why not get another club to sponsor us? I know both the president and vice-president of SHAQ (the Student Health Advisory Quorum... yeah I don't know what they do either
smily_headphones1.gif
), and I'll shoot them an email tonight.

Jan 29, 2003 at 7:26 AM Post #43 of 71
Nah, I'm inherantly lazy, so if we can get a room without having a club, that would be easiest for me... Unless we actually have 5 people at the UW that are also on Head-Fi, then I would seriously think about a club.

Jan 29, 2003 at 9:21 AM Post #44 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Nah, I'm inherantly lazy, so if we can get a room without having a club, that would be easiest for me... Unless we actually have 5 people at the UW that are also on Head-Fi, then I would seriously think about a club.

I could only count three.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Who knows... if we wait long enough, I might just have an RKV/Impedencer and my CD3000 to bring...
biggrin.gif

I'm also pretty lazy, but mostly busy, so I wouldn't be one to actively promote going for club status.. <g> But hey.. if we had five people, we could all have a position
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #45 of 71
I'm pretty new to Head-Fi (first post right here, but I read occasionally), but if you guys actually want to set up a club at UW, I'd be happy to be member #4
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure we're all a little busy, but I think it could be really fun if we got a lot of the headphone enthusiasts on campus involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back