Any info on vintage Beyerdynamic DT770's?
Nov 20, 2017 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Pana Sonic

Head-Fier
I've heard that the modern DT770's (2000 and later I think) have a bass emphasis while the older ones were more flat and analytical. This is probably due to the addition of a bass reflex port in the newer models, but I can't really find any information to verify these claims. Can anyone chime in with their thoughts on old vs new DT770's?

Also, if you have both old and new models, can you cover the new model's bass reflex ports with tape and post your thoughts? Does it become similar to the old model?

Nov 23, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 3
I've heard that the modern DT770's (2000 and later I think) have a bass emphasis while the older ones were more flat and analytical. This is probably due to the addition of a bass reflex port in the newer models, but I can't really find any information to verify these claims. Can anyone chime in with their thoughts on old vs new DT770's?

Also, if you have both old and new models, can you cover the new model's bass reflex ports with tape and post your thoughts? Does it become similar to the old model?

If you go on youtube, and type in dt220 (1976), there is a video on the headphone which essentially led to dt770. The guy also talks about dt770, and has a few videos on old beyerdynamics. There is a video of the dt770 premium as well as pro, and he has a dt1770 vs dt770 as well. I know they come in 16/32/80/250 now, but they had a 250/600 ohm premium IIRC which are more rare, and look very different. Good Luck on your search.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for the heads up. The video mostly covered the earlier days of Beyerdynamic, but it was still interesting.

I ended up finding another review which claimed that the older DT770 had more of a closed sound while the newer ones have better soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back