Any incredibly big difference?
Apr 8, 2003 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Nights_85

500+ Head-Fier
Hi I'm a newbie here, I was just wondering if there's any significantly large difference between the Ety Er-6 and 4P?

I once own a pair of B&O A8's and they were fantastic, but a bit bright. I only sold em cause they didn't isolate and I was sick and tired of listening to the bus motor instead of my music.

Now I'm considering in-ear phones and I'm wondering if anyone has noticed a big difference between the two Ety's. Also is the Shure e2c worth looking at? I've heard they ripped off the ideas from Ety, how'd that happen?

Anywho thanx to anyone who answers my Q
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
Yes
smily_headphones1.gif

mind to give an actual explanation?

Apr 8, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 14
there are three questions being asked.

only two are answerable with a yes/no.

come on people. this is the only part about these forums i hate. nobody helps anyone out unless they are buddy-buddy.

Apr 8, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 14
There is a big difference between the ER-6 and the ER-4. I only own the ER-6. I never heard the ER-4. Supposedly, the ER-4 has a much better bass response than the ER-6. Some people say that the ER-6's treble rolls off too quickly. Also, people seem to have a harder time getting a good seal with ther ER-6. Without the seal, bass and details are lost.

Apr 8, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 14
Everything I have read suggests that the ER4 is incredibly better than the ER6. If you can afford the ER4, then don't bother with the ER6 because you will likely want to upgrade later.

I'm not sure how Sure compares. IIRC, some people have given them favorable reviews. You might want to do a search if you don't get enough reponses.

As for Sure ripping off Ety, I never found out exactly what the deal was there. However, I think it got blown out of proportion and the two companies aren't having any legal problems that I know of. I wouldn't worry about it unless someone knows some details that I haven't read yet. I do know that people on this forum have had a great relationship with Ety, which makes them my go-to recommendation for in-ear headphones. Sure have been around a while, but weren't recommended around here until fairly recently when headroom started carrying them.

Apr 8, 2003 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 14
I own both and yes, there is a big difference between the ER4 and ER6.

For comparisons sake, I am using the ER4s (unampped) I know they would sound their best with an amp, but I mainly use them to travel and with my ipod.

ER4 - The ER4 is a wonderful headphone. When I first heard them, my jaw did drop. They were wonderfully clear , detailed and a joy to listen to. With these cans, you will find yourself listening to your favorite CDs over and over again. The soundstage is incredible. I would best describe it as having a tiny orchestra in your head. You are easily able to pinpoint with utmost accuracy of where each and every instrument is placed. The bass is tight and the mids are very good. I have found that if I use with my META42, the sound can be a bit bright and too foward for my tastes. But just out of the ipod jack, it just 'feels right'

ER6 - I got many of the similiar sensations as with the ER4, but to me the sound was a *tiny* bit more muffled. They do sound great, and still have the same amazing ER4 sound sensation, but it is just a tad toned down. Not as critical sounding, but very clean nonetheless. The bass is very good as-is vocals. You may not have heard the Eggo D66, but the sound is very similiar, but a lot more refined and more clarity.

The ER6s are very_very good in their own right. I can't think of many cans under $100 that has the same impact and wonderful sounds that the ER6 can produce.

But to really answer your question. Yes, there is a big difference. You will notice them right away if you A/B them. But if you are not an audiophile or require to have the *BEST* you'll be more than satisfied with the ER6. A weird test I did was put one ER4 in one ear and the ER6 in the other ear. I used 2 different ipods playing the same song completely sync'd. Needless to say, it was quite a weird sensation, but I can clearly see where the ER4 is superior. It's just a lot more clear and better sounding all the way around. The highs extended a bit more.

Oh yes, I have found the ER6s to be much easier to seal than the ER4. With the ER6, I can pull them in / out quickly and get a qreat seal everytime. With the ER4, I need a few seconds of fidgeting to get them 'just right'

Both are very comfortable to use after your ears get used to them. Both are absolutely amazing. The first time you try them and really get a good fell for them, you will be absolutely stunned!

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2003 at 8:02 AM Post #10 of 14
THANK YOU STAN!
smily_headphones1.gif
Up until now I've heard about how the Ety's are the best thing since sliced bread but I never saw anything telling the difference between the Er6 and 4P.

Well my situation is that I want some really good sounding earphones but I dont want to spend a bucket load on them, I mean the 4P are very expensive (I can get em for around $482.23AU inc/shipping from earplugstore.com which is a tad bit less than headroom) and I'd really need to justify to myself spending that much on a pair of earphones, specially with the pitance I get from work... well anywho thanx for your advice.

Also how often do people usually have to replace those filters? do they get mucked up easily?

Thanx!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2003 at 8:47 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
yes

maybe

don wilson explained this situation already.... do a search

you could have linked him to the post.

this was his first post.

Apr 8, 2003 at 9:10 AM Post #13 of 14
I tried the er6 first, just to give etys a tried. I just didn't like it eventhough I really wanted to like them. It didn't fit right or feet right. I had a hard time getting a seal. The sound was decent.

I thought etys wasn't for me until months later I decided to try the 4s. They fit so much better and sound fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back