Any in-ear monitors suggested? Sennheiser IE8 vs Turbine(normal),gold,copper and UE triple fi -10?
Jul 3, 2011 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Soldierducky

Head-Fier
Hello!! Ok i am relatively new here. Haha, because of this website, its turning me into an audiophile soon. 

Ok, here is the question. Which IEM should I get? Or should I just get and ATH M50?

Here is what I really wish for my IEM

1)Bass that punches you cleanly. Powerful and deep

2)I wish to hear the mids well, because I listen to a lot of pop songs and classical(sound stage hint hint) and a little of electro house

3)Isolation(optional).(I know many people would choose UE triple fi 10) I don"t really expect a lot of isolation, but just enough to block off my mum's nagging but still allow sound to pass through e.g. crossing the road.

4)Fits well

5)design

Ok, a little more detail, assuming the IE8 bass knob is MAXED OUT, which would probably win in bass? Make sure its not boooooooomy(muddy), but its more of a sharpand  low jab into your ear. Very clean and precise. Thumping is the right word.

I would really like the mids to be really clear esp because I listen to pop songs e.g. Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars

Isolation. I dont really mind about this point because to me sound matters. But if possible please try to recommend me one these

4)I will be travelling a lot, and I dont want the squeaky sound to be heard when I walk around or run, most importantly, it doesn''t fall off.

5)Yep, I travel in trains a lot, I really wish to be the outstanding one heh heh

Ok the IEM are really costly, and I am not a demanding listener(soon to be) so i decided to ask head fi for opinions. I wanted the Turbines at first. Then many people talk about the IE8, then more threads talk about the Triple fi(3 drivers are appealing). So now I am stuck . I am not really asking for the state of the art IEM, just something simple will do. I have set my eyes on the IE8 somewhat due to the bass knob(does it actually work?)

Bonus: Does the M50 sound close to these IEM, if yes tell me why. If not? I would just get razer orca.

Thanks a million, I really wish to buy one soon

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Well from the reading I have done on this site and I own a few of the above mentioned products lets see:

IE8 is probably gonna get you the most raw bass (some mention a mid bass hump) and has its superior sound stage, but it has poor isolation from what I have read.

TF10's should not be considered based alone that you want a great fit and these have a notorious penchant for not fitting well for some users. I have these they fit OK, they do have the recessed mids (or V shaped sound) but they are a fantastically fun IEM to listen to and the bass slaps powerfully while the highs sparkle.

You probably cant lose with either Pro version of the Turbine: I have the Golds and they sound great bass is potent and very controlled (never ever sloppy) they also fit well and isolate fairly well. I use the Sony Hybrid tips on mine.

The M50's have an exceptional reputation for portable headphone use, reportedly great bass, decent isolation for a headphone. Also they would come in cheaper than the above mentioned IEM's.

You just have to take the dive with something and feel it out, rarely in this hobby does anyone end up with just one unit.

My personal recommendation of your above list would probably be to try the Turbine Pros or the M50(never hurts to start small).

Good luck! I think this is where someone is supposed to chime in : Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 10
Having owned the IE8, TF10, and the Monster Gold, Copper (and also the MDT's), and the Atrio's (which I personally wouldn't leave out) I'd say based upon the things you're looking for, I'd go with either the MDT's or the Atrio's. With the exception of a select few, in my experience, many bass-heavy IEM's suffer from a midrange bleed, something you would want to avoid altogether (ie. as best as possible) since the mids, as you've mentioned, are a deciding factor. Opposed to an exaggerated mid-bass hump, it's sub-bass you're after, and no IEM I've owned (to date) has matched the sub-bass of the Atrio's. I'll know in a few days time however how well the FX700 holds up against the Atrio's. To my ears, the entire Monster line-up does experience a noteworthy mid-bass hump, but of the 3 aforementioned Monster IEM's, it's not as noteworthy of an issue with the MDT's, which also offer much better midrange than the Gold/Coppers. While some may see the midrange of the Atrio's as recessed (when in direct comparison to the rest of the spectrum), I'd say they're neutral at best. To my ears, recessed they are not.

Again, I speak only based upon my experience, based upon the IEM's I've come to own. All in all, there isn't a single day that I'd regret owning the Atrio's, and the MDT's are also amongst my favorite bass-heavy IEM's. Either one, IMO, is fit for any genre, and does wonders with my trance & progressive collection (especially the VOCALS). Others you may want to consider can be found here, thanks to our friend ClieOS's excellent efforts! It's the Bs = Bass IEM's you'll want to look for, and from there, the search will provide you with many in-depth reviews of whichever one(s) draw your attention. All the best my friend.
smile.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 10
Hey thanks a lot guys(my poor wallet :D) I would also like to ask if the Ie8 mids are good? Maybe if anyone could shed some light on all of the above IEM mids. I am now considering tf10 ie8 and the m50. I don't really like the design of turbine there but do let me reconsider

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 10
I agree with the midbass on the IE8s mucking up the clarity of the mids and low end.  Ultimately I fixed mine by cranking the bass adjuster to full open which flattens out the bass (in other words, instead of the upper bass being pronounced, now ALL of the bass is pronounced), and then EQing down the bass as a whole, which gave me well balanced, sub-woofer like bass that was nicely controlled and much more clarity across the whole spectrum.  Now I love the sound of my IE8s, but I wish I had an IEM that sounded like they do without having to EQ them.

Edit:  Also, the tips supplied are pretty awful... I had to switch to the Sony Hybrids to get the fit/sound I was looking for as well.

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Hey thanks a lot guys(my poor wallet
biggrin.gif
) I would also like to ask if the Ie8 mids are good? Maybe if anyone could shed some light on all of the above IEM mids. I am now considering tf10 ie8 and the m50. I don't really like the design of turbine there but do let me reconsider

I owned the IE8's for a year and although they have a mid veil, it is not that impeding unless you immediately A/B with another IEM. The IE8 has a very good sound signature that emphasizes a wide soundstage and a potent bass response. The bass is definitely strong enough for your tastes. The isolation is not that good compared to other IEM's, but it will suffice for blocking off your mom's nagging.

For me, the knob on the IE8's bass did not change much about the IEM. Although what tzm said is right, it sounded like the IEM sounded more "full" rather than veiled after changing the bass knob to max. However, I kept my bass knob around 1 1/2 during the time I had time--that's the setting that I felt was satisfying to my ears.

I would recommend the IE8, but be careful because there are a lot of counterfeits out there for the IE8. Make sure you buy from an authorized retailer and obtain a receipt (in case you end up getting fakes and have to return them).

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidVictory /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would recommend the IE8, but be careful because there are a lot of counterfeits out there for the IE8. Make sure you buy from an authorized retailer and obtain a receipt (in case you end up getting fakes and have to return them).

On that note, thank YOU SolidVictory for your wonderful thread, after which I've never had a hard time spotting a real from a fake.
beerchug.gif

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #9 of 10
I voted for the IE8 only because I was not able to vote for what I think you should buy, which is the MDT...

Honestly I feel it trumps the MDT in every way. The MDT has much better sub-bass and a mid-bass that doesn't muddy the mids. If you want really good mids, the MDT still have you covered because their mid range is simply fantastic. Although not aggressive, the highs are certainly there and have a lot of clarity. IMO, the only thing the IE8 do better than the MDT is sound stage, to which I preferred the latter.

If you want a buttery smooth presentation and a pounding, well textured bass, then look no further than the MDT. They can also be found for less than the IE8 most of the time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back