Any impressions yet on the Droid Incredible for music
May 22, 2010 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Painful Chafe

500+ Head-Fier

I'm concidering the Droid Incredible over an IPhone. Has anyone tried the Incredible yet. Looking for opinions on sound quality. The Incredible in the newest Droid phone. I'm just looking for info/opinions on this model.

Jun 24, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 19
What about the Droid X? If Motorola implements a REAL media playback app, inclusive of an EQ and some type of sound enhancements, I'm sure it'd give the iPhone a run for the money. Unfortunately, Android has just the most basic audio & video - so it's just not ready to compare to the iPhone as of yet, not the 3GS or the iPhone 4. Apple has portable entertainment locked down on smartphones ATM. 

too bad, as I really think the Android DEVS will smoke anything else eventually,.................but the keyword here is: EVENTUALLY.

And as it stands, only Samsung is getting there, as they include DNSe and video playback options in their players. Moto and HTC need to hit that up,.............it'd really kick butt!!!

Jun 24, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 19
I've been using my EVO for music with my custom Triple.fis over the last couple of weeks and have a few impressions:

1. There is a slight hiss. The only time I've found it to be disruptive is when you hit pause in between songs and what you thought was silence turns into real silence as it goes into standby and powers down the output.
  2. Much better bass response than I thought it would have, but it can get a little sloppy on bass heavy tunes, almost as though they've set an internal eq to emphasize the lower freqs.
  3. Mids are clear, warm, and well separated.
  4. Highs are a bit clipped and lack sparkle

All in all it's served as an admirable fill in while I figure out what I'm going to do to replace my broken Zune.

Also, Rhapsody to go is worth checking out. They've done a great job with the SQ of their streaming material. It lacks a little of the highs, but you don't get artifacts and other digital noise you hear from other streaming services like Pandora.

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
By the way, I know that the EVO isn't the Droid Incredible, but they share much of the same hardware and thought some points from a sister product might help.

Any input on these new generations of devices is more than welcome, as we now must all realize that the the time of convergence is finally upon us.

I'm ready to get a combined phone/dap/pmp now, and at this time last year I'd have told people that were making these types of suggestions re crazy.

Personally, I feel all of us are paving the way to the future w/these devices, and that Head-Fi will be adding a new section to the forums shortly:
 ​
"Multimedia & Smartphones -  The New Portable Entertainment Devices"
 ​
I'm also glad we'll all be a pat of it's growth and success.

tds01

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 19
Maybe this could help?

http://androidspin.com/2010/03/10/meltus-to-release-a-new-app-soon-fully-configurable-eq-settings-through-headset/

I'm looking for a new phone that would be my primary player too but am stuck on Verizon.  Could this or another app put the Incredible or maybe the new Droid X on the same level as the iPhone?

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Maybe this could help?

http://androidspin.com/2010/03/10/meltus-to-release-a-new-app-soon-fully-configurable-eq-settings-through-headset/

I'm looking for a new phone that would be my primary player too but am stuck on Verizon.  Could this or another app put the Incredible or maybe the new Droid X on the same level as the iPhone?

THAT would be a serious step in the right direction.

Jun 30, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 19
I got the Droid Incredible and it arrived the day before it was released.  Really love it but it does go thru batteries, esp if you surf the net on it.  I wouldn't waste the phone/batteries for music myself.  I have a classic and an older nano that I barely use.  Recently got the Hifiman 801 and i don't think the incredible or the iphone could even be in the same league.  I don't even know how to play music on the Incredible.  Good luck with it, it is a great toy/phone to play around with.
regular_smile .gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 19
I use an HTC Incredible as my portable music player. I have mine rooted and I am running a root only app called DSP Manager along with a custom "libaudioflinger.so" file placed in the "lib" folder in the system partition. (many thanks to the Cyanogen mod team for putting this together) DSP Manager has a simple 5 band user adjustable EQ and a nice selection of DSP effects that work across all the audio sent through the headphone jack. This is not like Astro or Mixzing where the EQ only applies to that one app, this is deeper into the O.S. and works across all the headset audio which is great because I listen to internet radio more than the music i loaded onto the phone.

The phone gets plenty loud when used with a set of low impedance/high sensitivity in ears like my Klipsch S4's. Sure, it's not audiophile equipment, but it sounds great to me, and its nice to have an all in one device.

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #14 of 19
I am by no means an expert at describing the sound quality, so I will leave that to someone more qualified.

I am using the HTC Desire on Android 2.2 (and 2.1 previously) for about 3 months now.  The stock music player is rubbish.  I have Meridian Media Player Pioneer, it supports a wide range of formats including FLAC.  You can download this app for free.  Battery life isn't too bad, but nothing to write home about.  I carry a second battery charged until I can get my Energiser X8000.

The player is fine if you stay in there, if you want to be listening to music and surfing the web or playing a game, it will st..st..stutter.  Very annoying.  There is no way that I know to set the process to priority for example to try and avoid this, but I haven't researched this at all either.  I know the iProducts have this solved as they are music first, everything else second.  Having the device available for dragging and dropping files onto the storage card is great.  That is the main reasons I switched from my iPhone 3G (along with a better carrier and FLAC support).

I am happy with my choice over the iPhone 4 even with the above drawbacks.

Hope this helps,
St Veronus

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 19
Has anyone found a more amazing app/hack or comment on audio quality of the HTC Incredible Android device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back