Any IEM alternatives using ear pads like Beyer Xelento
Jan 12, 2023 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Loftprojection

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, I can't stand ear tips that go in my ears so a few years ago I bought Beyerdynamics Xelento and I've been extremely happy with the comfort, as well as their sound.

Now I'd like to try something else but all I see is IEM's with regular tips that you insert in the ear.

Thanks for any suggestion, btw I'd like something relatively high end like Xelento and I also good bass is more important to my ears than ultimate piercing highs, I'm old! hahaha

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi have you considered earbuds?

Capture.PNG

Figure A are for earbuds, where the transducer does not enter the ear and sits outside. They generally have no seal cause of this, so sub-bass and isolation is lacking, but they have greater soundstage than traditional IEMs, and perhaps sound closer to open backed headphones than IEMs.

Figure B is for IEMs, where with the eartips, they enter the canal and give a seal and bigger sub-bass. Soundstage is more compressed as a trade-off.

There's a huge rabbithole for earbuds if you are inclined to try that, the community discusses them here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi have you considered earbuds?

Capture.PNG

Figure A are for earbuds, where the transducer does not enter the ear and sits outside. They generally have no seal cause of this, so sub-bass and isolation is lacking, but they have greater soundstage than traditional IEMs, and perhaps sound closer to open backed headphones than IEMs.

Figure B is for IEMs, where with the eartips, they enter the canal and give a seal and bigger sub-bass. Soundstage is more compressed as a trade-off.

There's a huge rabbithole for earbuds if you are inclined to try that, the community discusses them here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/
I got a pair and am very happy with fit and how easy to wear.

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 5
Hello, I can't stand ear tips that go in my ears so a few years ago I bought Beyerdynamics Xelento and I've been extremely happy with the comfort, as well as their sound.

Now I'd like to try something else but all I see is IEM's with regular tips that you insert in the ear.

Thanks for any suggestion, btw I'd like something relatively high end like Xelento and I also good bass is more important to my ears than ultimate piercing highs, I'm old! hahaha
Besides earbuds I’d look to Sennheiser ie600 or ie900 as their fit is super. Not 100% the same but very very comfortable. I’d also look at apple AirPods Pro 2 for wireless - I am blown away when using them with Apple products (fit, spastical sound etc).,

Jan 13, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 5
Besides earbuds I’d look to Sennheiser ie600 or ie900 as their fit is super. Not 100% the same but very very comfortable. I’d also look at apple AirPods Pro 2 for wireless - I am blown away when using them with Apple products (fit, spastical sound etc).,
Senn IE600-900 are nice but with ear tips that go inside the ear canal and I can't stand that after 10-15 minutes of use. Same with Airpods Pro, and not only do they become uncomfortable for me after 10-15 minutes of use but they are not up to par on sound quality versus good IEM like Beyer Xelento.

As far as earbuds, those are great for me on comfort but I've yet to find an earbud that has good sound quality to compete with high end IEM.

Thanks for you suggestions guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back