Any ideas?
Jan 6, 2010 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

floydman

New Head-Fier
I found this Sony stereo, it came with a cd/radio player, but that broke. I wanted to re-use the speakers but it uses a non standard cable.

Any suggestions? What would be the easiest way to attach a standard 3.5 mm cable? Its a pair of speakers, I'd like to attach it to iPods, computers, etc.

Thanks

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 8
I can't tell from the picture. Do they have their own power source? Do they have a power plug coming from the speakers that you plug in? Do they have a power switch on them? If not, the chances are that the stereo that broke was what supplied the power to the speakers. In that case, you cannot use them straight from an iPod; you would have to get an amplifier or new receiver.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mminutel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't tell from the picture. Do they have their own power source? Do they have a power plug coming from the speakers that you plug in? Do they have a power switch on them? If not, the chances are that the stereo that broke was what supplied the power to the speakers. In that case, you cannot use them straight from an iPod; you would have to get an amplifier or new receiver.

I tweaked the photo and they're just regular passive speakers with spring clip terminals. So yeah, he'll need to get an amp or receiver to power them.

se

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 8
You can't do what you want to do. The speaker terminals on the Sony speakers are for attaching them to an amplifier, not a portable device with a 3.5mm audio jack. You need powered speakers for your purposes, like computer speakers that come with their own power source and built in amp.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 8
You could buy a cheap t-amp or something. They are like $30. My guess is that the Sony's aren't really worth it, though. In case you do, you would just cut the plug off that is on it now and strip the wires as far as I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back