Any ideas on preventing hair loss?
Jul 1, 2010 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
Hey Head-Fi,

Anyone know of products to prevent further hair loss? I'm 23 and I've noticed I've lost some of my hair. I still have the vast majority of my hair left, so I'm interested if there is anything I can do while I'm young to prevent further hair loss (?).

I know that Rogaine regrows hair you have already lost (as long as you use it the rest of your life), but I'm more interested in NOT losing the hair I still have. Any ideas?

Jul 1, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 35
I don't think there is anything like that, and that's a drag to me, since I'm just 20 and my hairline is receding pretty bad. :frowning2:

Jul 1, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 35
I lost a lot of hair last decade, hehe.  Number one thing you can do, is understand that bald is beautiful. :)  Seriously.  After a while, the treatments get tedious/expensive/pointless and you will say "eh, forget it."  Many people spend a lot of effort removing hair; it's all relative.

Number 2, go see your physician.  Rogaine is an over-the-counter treatment (minoxidil) creme that increases blood flow to the capillary blood vessels in the skin.  The increased blood flow can restore some hair (OP, you have it backwards...Rogaine can slow the hair loss, and maybe get a little recovery, but it is mostly a "stop losing hair" treatment).  Then you can try oral drugs such as finasteride (marketed names vary (Propecia, etc).  Finasteride inhibits the enzyme that converts regular testosterone to a more biologically potent form of testerone, thus slowing down the root cause of male pattern baldness.  You can obviously get minoxidil without a prescription, but it is not advisable.  Proscar = 2X Propecia, which is given to old guys with enlarged prostates.  Propecia will require a prescription.

Really though, you probably can get the best mileage out of reducing your stress.  Eat better, get exercise, sleep well.

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 35
Propecia works for a lot of people. Unfortunately it is considered a cosmetic drug and not covered by insurance. It will cost you about $80 a month.

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 35
The Key is to shampoo every other day; and use something with quality. If you have dandruff, get some Head & Shoulders, but use it only 2-3x a week.

I find that cold water nourishes the scalp quite well and makes the hair smooth and fresh, I have been using this method for quite some time and my hair has never looked so good.

A little taking care of goes a long way.

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 35

Quote:
The Key is to shampoo every other day; and use something with quality. If you have dandruff, get some Head & Shoulders, but use it only 2-3x a week.

I find that cold water nourishes the scalp quite well and makes the hair smooth and fresh, I have been using this method for quite some time and my hair has never looked so good.

A little taking care of goes a long way.

Good advice for hair care but none of these will prevent hair loss I'm afraid. :)

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 35
as far as I know vitamin b12 helps.
I need to start taking as well or in couple of years there will be none left on my crown!
confused_face.gif

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #13 of 35
May I help you.
biggrin.gif

If you want the best hair, then you have to make a diet for it.
Have a diet rich in Vitamin A, C, and E.
biggrin.gif

1. Eat fruits everyday like avocado, pineapple, etc.-rich in Vitamins ACE.
biggrin.gif

2. Eat green leafy vegetables everyday like sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, etc.-so rich in Vit.A.
biggrin.gif

3. Have a balanced diet everyday-because our hairs are like trees planted on our soil-our head.
biggrin.gif
4. Have a stress-free life, have fun.
biggrin.gif

5. Use herbal shampoos instead of commercial shampoos.
biggrin.gif

6. Have an 8-hour sleep everyday.
biggrin.gif

If you will follow my 6-steps, then I assure that you will gain back your priceless hair.
biggrin.gif

No medicine/hair treatment will surpass an excellent diet rich in Vitamins A, C, and E.
biggrin.gif

Google sources of Vitamins A, C, and E on the web, and your on the right best track.
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #14 of 35

Quote:
have a sex change or become a eunuch

its testosterone that kills hair, no testosterone no going bald

He's right. Castration is your best way to a beautiful head of hair!

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #15 of 35
Propecia...I've used it for half a decade, and it works. An no, I've never had salt peter. Consult your doctor first of course.

Now if the cost is prohibitive or in addition to:

1. Use a zinc pyrithione (Head & Shoulders) shampoo along with Nizoral twice a week. In the shower, also deeply massage your scalp.
2. Take one aspirin daily.
3. As has  been mentioned, a healthy diet is beneficial. Fresh fruits and veggies.
4. Avoid head wear. Keep your hair short.
5. As has been mentioned, Rogaine of course.

Use a combination of the above, or all.for best results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back