Any homemade products that is safe to use for cleaning camera or audio stuff?
May 29, 2004 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NEO

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought the Nikon Coolpix on eBay and later know that the camera was used by one Dermatologist for her skin patiences. The seller confirmed that it was just for the shot before and after treatment procedure but I am still concerned. I would like to clean the camera body with some solution like alcohol but afraid that it might damage the rubber or fade some label. Is there any safe homemade product that can be used to clean the camera and audio stuff w/o any risk of damaging them? I used to clean my sunglass with alcohol and completely washed out the coating on the frame.
Thanks,
NEO

May 30, 2004 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 11
Sunshine's ultraviolet rays kills bacteria. So let your camera get some sun.
icon10.gif

May 30, 2004 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 11
The only homemade (or household) cleaners that I can think of are abrasive or contain alcohol or ammonia. They would cause the camera's LCD to cloud up, scratch the lens, and possibly scratch up the finish on the camera's casing.

If you're worried about icky germs (
tongue.gif
), perhaps it would be worthwhile to put a touch of soap (pure hand soap, not detergent or dishwashing liquid) on a soft microfiber cloth and wipe the camera down. Then, wipe the camera dry with a very slightly damp, non-soapy microfiber or soft cotton cloth.

Or maybe get an alcohol-free/ammonia-free, plastic-safe LCD cleaner from somewhere and do the same thing. Klear Screen, for example.

Anyway, just some suggestions for ya.

D.

May 30, 2004 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 11
You could probably get some antiseptic baby soap with a low PH value and use the body. On the LCD screen, just use some antistatic cleaner designed for that particular use.

May 30, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by NEO
I just bought the Nikon Coolpix on eBay and later know that the camera was used by one Dermatologist for her skin patiences. The seller confirmed that it was just for the shot before and after treatment procedure but I am still concerned. I would like to clean the camera body with some solution like alcohol but afraid that it might damage the rubber or fade some label. Is there any safe homemade product that can be used to clean the camera and audio stuff w/o any risk of damaging them? I used to clean my sunglass with alcohol and completely washed out the coating on the frame.
Thanks,
NEO

Which Coolpix did you buy? I also ordered a Coolpix - 2200 and I'm waiting to receive it.
Yes, I would use alcohol to clean the body of the camera, but be careful not to get the alcohol inside the electronics, although I doubt it would do any harm after all.
But don't use too much alcohol. Remember, it is always better do drink it.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2004 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasher
Which Coolpix did you buy? I also ordered a Coolpix - 2200 and I'm waiting to receive it.
Yes, I would use alcohol to clean the body of the camera, but be careful not to get the alcohol inside the electronics, although I doubt it would do any harm after all.
But don't use too much alcohol. Remember, it is always better do drink it.
biggrin.gif

I don't think you should use alchohol at all as it will probably discolour any rubber pieces and disolve the glue.

May 30, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
I don't think you should use alchohol at all as it will probably discolour any rubber pieces and disolve the glue.

How can you discolor rubber? Rubber is black and they don't color it. Anyway I don't think there's too much rubber on the camera - just plastic, metal and electronic stuff.

May 30, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasher
How can you discolor rubber? Rubber is black and they don't color it. Anyway I don't think there's too much rubber on the camera - just plastic, metal and electronic stuff.

Thrasher, my Coolpix 5400 has a totally rubber covered grip as do all the 5000 series:

frontview-001.jpg

Try using something with a high alchohol content like nailpolish remover on that rubber and you'll remove the colour as well, leaving an ugly whitish scar on the finish..
frown.gif

May 30, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #10 of 11
You can also remove the polished finish...
eek.gif

May 30, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 11
My camera is Coolpix 5000, I bought it for less than $250 which is the price I can afford. I havnt got it yet but on the e-mails I exchanged with the sellers, she told me that it was used shortly by the Dermatologist.

I would love to try CP5400 but it's still about $400+ new at least. And I like the unusual tall design and 1.8" lcd of the CP5000. I am also worrying about cleaning it with Alcohol. Alcohol seems to be direct answer for killing germs but like Ipodstudio said, it could as well remove the label and discolor the finishing on the body
frown.gif

NEO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back